chickenman

chickenman

Premium Member
Supporter
Gmo corn vs non gmo corn

Scary....

CINDARELLA99

CINDARELLA99

Those are the ones that you cannot reuse the seeds right?
I had some corn that was grown after saving the seeds and replanted, it didnt have Any taste at all and the texture was tough .

chickenman

chickenman

Premium Member
Supporter
We grew heirloom corn last year and its was delicious.
Will double our corn patch size this year. We shuck and cut off kernels quickly blanch then freeze, awesome corn all winter.

altitudefarmer

altitudefarmer

I read that 84% of all corn produced in the US is now GMO. It's in almost ever bit o processed food in the grocery stores and restaurants.

Funny how we expect to remain the world leader while killing ourselves. Army strong, GMO weak, and lots o bickering. A fine recipe for implosion.

Ohiofarmer

Ohiofarmer

I read that 84% of all corn produced in the US is now GMO. It's in almost ever bit o processed food in the grocery stores and restaurants.

Funny how we expect to remain the world leader while killing ourselves. Army strong, GMO weak, and lots o bickering. A fine recipe for implosion.
shit it's probally alot higher then 84%; in ohio monsanto and others came in and started sueing the shit outta all the farmers for "growing gmo crops without payin for patent" in reality gmo farms would come in and the gmo crop would spread to other farmers fields, then the lawers would come in and tell the farms that gmo was found in their fields, then would sue them. it was and still is a huge debacle......anyways thats how ohio lost most of our heirloom corn; there are still a few farms in the hills here and there that do everything right and still grow heirloom corn.....fresh picked corn roasted dunked in butter....doesn't get better then that....take it easy

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Uh oh... I think something's wrong... I keep getting a notice saying the site server has taken too long to respond. Hrm.
We grew heirloom corn last year and its was delicious.
Will double our corn patch size this year. We shuck and cut off kernels quickly blanch then freeze, awesome corn all winter.
In any event, my intention was to post that I also have kept the corn on the stalk like silage or flint corns and used it for grinding. When we had our granddaughter living with us we'd discovered that she was very gluten-intolerant (she has now been tested for Celiac and is negative, now eats all kinds of gluten-containing foods and doesn't seem to experience the previous problems), so I was doing everything totally gluten-free. Homegrown cornbread, even if it's green? Is just fucking DELISH.

M

mendel

Funny you mention green corn, we just picked up a 2 lb of oaxacan green dent corn seed for this year. We thought we'd pull the ears and crib then shock the stalks for winter cow feed.

vaporedout

vaporedout

damn i didnt realize it but some of my seeds for this years garden may contain GMO's, i normaly use seeds of change brand, but i used some others for a few things. now that im looking online im pretty sure im gonna chuck those ones that arent seeds of change. something i never knew and pulled off their website. so which ones are the best? heirloom? open-pollinated?

What is the difference between heirloom, open-pollinated, hybrid and GMO seeds?
  • Open-Pollinated varieties are produced from a population of “parent” plants with very similar genetic characteristics. Open-pollinated plants, grown in isolation to prevent cross-pollination with another variety of the same species, will produce offspring that are very similar to the original parent population, allowing seeds to be saved and grown out ‘true-to-type’ year after year, generation after generation. These varieties can also be selected for disease resistance.
  • Heirloom seeds are open-pollinated varieties that have been maintained and handed down by seed savers for at least 60 years.
  • F1 Hybrid refers to the first generation of offspring plants produced by a cross of two genetically different parent varieties, usually of the same species. Hybrids can have advantages, including robust growth known as "hybrid vigor," uniformity, and the fact that they are often bred to be disease resistant. Since the 1920’s, many hybrid varieties have been bred using traditional breeding methods. Seed saved from F1 Hybrids will not grow ‘true-to-type’.
  • GMOs or more accurately, varieties created using 'recombinant DNA technology', can be either hybrids or open pollinated varieties. Recombinant DNA technology is the ability to combine DNA molecules from different sources into one molecule in a test tube. The inserted DNA may come from related or unrelated species, or created in a laboratory. GMOs are not permitted in organic farming systems. SEEDS OF CHANGE® seeds are developed through natural selection and breeding techniques and do not contain GMOs.

Oil Dragon

Oil Dragon

do fish genes in tomatoes sound normal? how about bacilis genes in your crop not just asymbiotic relationship? oh nd how many long term & short term effect tests on humans have they done imo you need to test on every ethnicity possible because just like our plants, different phenos have different requirements and sensitivity.

The increased vitamin content rice GMO sounds less crazy but you could have done that with traditional crop breeding procedures. Everything can be achieved through the traditional methods it just takes longer and doesnt create a bunch of ludacris science jobs.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
SoC is not the only purveyor of good quality heirloom, open-pollinated or F1 non-GMO seeds. Renee's, just out in the Felton-Santa Cruz area are good, as is Baker Creek (Petaluma), and an Oregon company that I use a lot, Territorial Seed Company. There's also Johnny's, High-Mowing, a whole slew of good suppliers. SoC is expensive, IMO, and they don't always give such good germination rates (I actually do better with Territorial in that department).

ttystikk

ttystikk

In the early days of GMO corn, some farmers sued their neighbors for contaminating their crops with GMO corn pollen. Interestingly, even though they meet all the usual legal standards for control/ownership of property, lose of revenue, contaminating their crops, etc- they still lost.

Monsanto was the leading defendant. Coincidence? Come on!

Top Bottom