Gnats, Do I Need To Worry?

• Thread starter jinxjj
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
m8ty

m8ty

Jinxjj, if you notice reddish stems and what looks like tip burn on the leaves it means the gnat larva are messing up the roots..

J

jinxjj

Thanks for the tip, i will watch out for that. Should have some gnatrol soon and i covered almost all pots with perlite. Will finish covering the rest and then wash them all with the gnatrol.

H

happy b

Be careful when germinating seeds when you have fungus gnat issues . iv put seeds with the tap root sprouted into soil and 2 days later all that's been left is the shell . If they get out of hand they can also cause nutrient deficiencies as the larvae eat the fine root hairs which stops the plant absorbing nutrients properly.

Melvan

Melvan

There's an old housewife method called The Potato Trap that will help. Cut up a potato into 1-2 inch pieces, lay them on top of the soil. 24 hours later pick them up and look underneath, larvae will be there if they're in your soil. Just throw the potato away with the larvae on it. Change the potato everyday and in about a week or so, you should have broken the breeding cycle.

Sierra Naturals make a fungus gnat treatment that you water in that works very well too.

Bones69

Bones69

Here's what I did my last grow. Bought this stuff called mosquito dunks and some yellow sticky boards. I break up 1 dunk in a plastic bag ( good for 3 to 4 3 gallon pots)
And sprinkle it over my soil after watering and that kills the larvae. Then hang a few of those yellow sticky boards to kill the adults and it has worked real well for me.
May have to repeat a couple of weeks later depending on how bad your problem is.
The sell the mosquito dunks already broken up for about $16.00

soserthc1

soserthc1

Gnatrol at 5 grams per gal for bad infestations and 2.2 grams afterwords (did mine a week later) and added a yellow sticky on top of each pot .
I'm 3 to 4 weeks in and just applied my 3 application and am about 100% gnat free

Happen to have a shit ton of dryer sheets and might also try this , thou I'm curious if anything in the dryer sheets is damaging to my micro life .

Gnats appear to be harmless but multiply insanely fast. A bug free garden is a happy garden

Bones69

Bones69

Gnatrol at 5 grams per gal for bad infestations and 2.2 grams afterwords (did mine a week later) and added a yellow sticky on top of each pot .
I'm 3 to 4 weeks in and just applied my 3 application and am about 100% gnat free

Happen to have a shit ton of dryer sheets and might also try this , thou I'm curious if anything in the dryer sheets is damaging to my micro life .

Gnats appear to be harmless but multiply insanely fast. A bug free garden is a happy garden
Yeah man if you don't act fast shit can get nasty!!!

J

jinxjj

The tent I threw perlite into I didnt see one gnat today! Problem is the other tent is my problem one and I still don't have more perlite. Going to have to put up sticky paper and let the pots dry out really good in the meantime to combat them.

J

jinxjj

Think I might try this (dryer sheets) on the problem tent and see how it works until I can get something to cover the top like perlite.

420circuit

420circuit

Try a layer of sand on top and post how it works. I am trying it now with play sand from HD as preventative. Seems desert dry a day after watering.

smokin jay

smokin jay

I use beneficial nematodes and it works great for me. That dryer sheet method sound cool! I would try it if my buckets weren't so big. I wonder if landscape fabric would serve the same purpose as the dryer sheets.

ShroomKing

ShroomKing

Best of luck. Peace
I use beneficial nematodes and it works great for me. That dryer sheet method sound cool! I would try it if my buckets weren't so big. I wonder if landscape fabric would serve the same purpose as the dryer sheets.
I use landscape fabric on top my soil to be able to reuse my gnatgnix.

smokin jay

smokin jay

I use landscape fabric on top my soil to be able to reuse my gnatgnix.
Do you lift up the fabric when adding things such as nematodes or bennies? The reason I ask is because I just added a fresh batch of nematodes and they were clogging up the shower head type watering can I just bought. Was just wondering if they would get through the fabric. The gnatgnix and fabric sounds like a great idea!

ShroomKing

ShroomKing

Best of luck. Peace
Do you lift up the fabric when adding things such as nematodes or bennies? The reason I ask is because I just added a fresh batch of nematodes and they were clogging up the shower head type watering can I just bought. Was just wondering if they would get through the fabric. The gnatgnix and fabric sounds like a great idea!
Nope. I just water normally.

dankninja

dankninja

the larvae live in the top 3-4 inches of soil..
If you have just a few plants..you can use a layer of diamotaceous earth or gnatnix ..or even fine steel wool..that you can take off to water..keeps the adults from laying more eggs. Also peroxide kills beneficial bacteria as well..so you want to innoculate after, with a good bennie tea if that's what you do.
Lots of yellow sticky traps will help too.
Don't kid yourself though.. a bad infestation will hurt your yields. FWIW Promix is the only soil that hasn't come with gnats for me.

top layer of diatomaceous worked with a previous roots organic soil grow. the bags had fungus gnats right as I opened them up lol. that and keeping the humidity down a little. watch the waterings and keep it very clean, I had larvae spread and nearly cover a white floor below my plants a while ago, just kept on coming back. be careful with the sticky strips, some of the adult gnats can still spread larvae stuck to the trap. borg.

J

jinxjj

Got it pretty much contained to one tent now. Waiting for my gnatrol to get here so I can soak them good. Once this round of ladies are done I'm gona clean the tent good and make sure next batch has clean soil.

J

jinxjj

Got the gnatrol today, how much should i mix in for the heavily infested area and how much for the places that arent infested but i dont want any problems in and have seen 1 or 2 around? thanks!

toxic1

toxic1

i use 1 tbls per gallon(full strength) no matter the size of infestation. dont forget to pH after adding it to the water/nute mix.

Top Bottom