Gnats, Gnats, Gnats, how do I get rid of them?

• Thread starter BlueCrabGuy
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
the rrock

the rrock

interested to see how this works out for you,I found almost all beneficial predator bugs are a joke. Ive used Merit 75(or facsimile) as root drench,this willkill .I havent had gnats in over 15 years.I wouldnt use on flowering plant, The OG Biowar is a great weapon for plant maintenance against all bugs pretty much

stanknkatz

stanknkatz

Since no one else has said it; DE is heavy in arsenic and lead. Use food grade if you can.

I personally avoid it.
I should have specified food grade diatomaceous earth. It has zero toxicity and is full of beneficial trace minerals :
"DE contains high levels of silica. It also contains 15 essential trace minerals including phosphorous, selenium, calcium, sodium, potassium, magnesium, copper, zinc and iron. Food grade DE is a natural powder that works in a purely physical/mechanical way, not "chemical" and therefore has no chemical toxicity."

I

imgrowing

i use a product called aquabac, it's basically mosquito dunks in a granular form.
comes in a shaker bottle so all i do is shake some into my soil when i up pot and poof, every time you water it activates it.
my supplier supplies big time gnats with every bag for free and this is the only product that keeps gnats under control so far for me.

jdog22

jdog22

hey man i remember during my first grow ever i brought some bagged 50L soil from bunnings wearhouse and didnt realise i was awaking a nightmare 2 weeks from than the eggs hatched haha i tried everything haha vinigar in a jar, hanging fly traps for those olympic gnats, tried garlic nothing was working, so did my research and found neem oil, mixed with some water you spray your plants from top to bottom and under the leafs and hit 10cm deep of your soils, spray the water wells they sit in and the outside of the pot, be like happy gilmore when he see a golfball.
do this once a week for 2-3 weeks

what it does, it coats your plants in the oil, the gnars bite away and get choked the fk out like john jones did to people.
from that day onwards mix the neem oil through your soil before you use it :)

Jumpingspider

Jumpingspider

It's not organic for those wondering.
Ok maybe not "orthodox organic" but it's not going in the plant it just lives in the water

> Microbe-Lift is a beneficial bacteria that is 100% natural and safe for use in watergarden ponds. It is made up of a special formula of beneficial bacteria that reproduce and degrade compounds in the water or soil that cause pollution and bad odors. Microbe-Lift is non-toxic and there is no potential for overdose.

Jumpingspider

Jumpingspider

Ok maybe not "orthodox organic" but it's not going in the plant it just lives in the water

> Microbe-Lift is a beneficial bacteria that is 100% natural and safe for use in watergarden ponds. It is made up of a special formula of beneficial bacteria that reproduce and degrade compounds in the water or soil that cause pollution and bad odors. Microbe-Lift is non-toxic and there is no potential for overdose.
I mean technically, yellow sticky traps aren't "organic" either....

F

fishmon

Natures good guys has a control by pest section. Good info on what nematodes eat the larva.
I recently used the nematodes for this exact issue. I know the population noticeably declined according to my stickys but not eliminated. Planning on doing a second drench today. Instructions aren't clear about dosing potted plants so I went by seat of the pants. Planning to measure out remaining todes and divide equally among 4 pots. Bud washing this crop for sure.

F

fishmon

I've been battling them for weeks using nematodes from natures good guys. Judging by the sticky traps population dwindled but would come back. Finally realized today after moving some pots I noticed adult activity coming from the drip trays which I had allowed to accumulate some funky water. After rectifying that situation I'm hoping that cures the issue. Planning to wait a day or so and put up some new stickies to see how many of the buggers return. I've been a bad dad.

Top Bottom