gnats in coco

• Thread starter strictlyOG
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
S

strictlyOG

so today i turned off all my blowers and had a quick smoking session. while i was smoking i noticed things flying around. i looked closer and realized these little things that were flying around were little gnats. so i put on some latex gloves and come to find about 6 or 7 nats in each tent. i dont know how to approach this. because its kind of a big op and i water manually. so i started to do to some research and i noticed people are using gnatrol. i was wondering will this harm my plants? the strains are og bubba, larry og, and little bubba kush. ohh yeah & i almost forgot to mention im using 5 gal pots 85 coco/15 perlite . and the room is also in a week or so flowering phase.. please let me know what you guys would recommend so i can go to the hydro shop in the morning and pick it up. and i dont care about saving $$ please let me know what the top shelf product would be. thanks guys.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Gnatrol won't hurt your girls at all, it's bacteria that give the gnats a major stomach ache. Get some yellow sticky traps, mostly to monitor numbers. In my opinion (I know there will be those who disagree with me) it's far better to simply monitor what's going on and don't try to fix something UNLESS it's actually broken. In other words, if you're having problems with your girls and you know it's tied to the presence of the gnats, then go at 'em. Otherwise, let it be on the wild side.

Or, you can start doing root drenches with Azamax/Azatrol. If your situation is like mine, that will become the prophylactic treatment of choice.

sky high

sky high

I realize you may want to rush down to the local store for Gnatrol to put a hurt on these buggers ASAP....

but for those reading along who, like seamaiden and myself....use these products regularly and may want to keep some on hand, I personally think this product is far cheaper to use/goes farther than the gnatrol. with this you use DROPS...not frickin (1-8) teaspons per gallon.

http://www.microbeliftstore.com/home/ml1/page_37_16/liquid_mosquito_control.html

s h

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
SCORE! I'm getting some of this stuff.

B

bicycle racer

gnats no big deal quite a few easy ways to get rid of them and even if you dont as long as there just here and there its not a big problem just make sure they are not root aphids.

pollenchucker

pollenchucker

mosquito dunks will kick their ass too. same shit as gnatrol. super cheap, check home depot.

throw one in your res every couple weeks. works fine w/handwatering or whatever.

spinosad spray (can be found on amazon or your garden shop) is cheap and organic for the flying ones.

both of these products together will kick their ass for cheap and not add any dangerous chems to your gear.

O

okcomputer42

Or, you can start doing root drenches with Azamax/Azatrol. If your situation is like mine, that will become the prophylactic treatment of choice.

Azatrol is OMRI certified so I'm assuming this will not hurt the girls. It says it takes care of soo many pest issues too. Is this true in your experience? If so, do you think it's worth having on hand as a "kill all" type product? It's damn expensive, but if it works on everything it's totally worth it.

Peace and love,
OK

Great thread with great tips btw. Thanks y'all!

L

lil miss lone

Dude I hope its just fungus gnats buddy.

Mosquito Dunks, or anything with BTi will kill them. Regular flushes with Azatrol will kill them as well... If not, you may have something else. How are the plants looking? Specifically the bottom leaves.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Azatrol is OMRI certified so I'm assuming this will not hurt the girls. It says it takes care of soo many pest issues too. Is this true in your experience? If so, do you think it's worth having on hand as a "kill all" type product? It's damn expensive, but if it works on everything it's totally worth it.

Peace and love,
OK

Great thread with great tips btw. Thanks y'all!
It's good to have on hand, but it's expensive to use as a prophylactic, which is the only way I can control the gnats in my situation. I've tried mosquito dunks, they knocked the gnats back, but never out, eventually they laughed when I broke out the last donuts. Spinosad can be effective, but it's also rather expensive (when you consider dosing rates) as well, IMO. I'm gonna try that liquid stuff sky high linked to.

I haven't used it to battle spider mites, but I know others have/do. I used Avid the one time I had them and that was a knock out punch.

dentonland

dentonland

I thought that gnats lay eggs in your medium and will hurt your roots. Any one know about this... I also bought the sticky paper from h. depot and it folds to an open triangle around the stem. In a week they were filled with all the flying suckers..

S

strictlyOG

hey guys i was a little tied up. but thanks for all the suggestions. for a while i was acting like bruce lee trying to catch all these little gnats. but now im not going to that anymore. this means war!. and im gonna nuke these suckers for trying to hurt my precious little girls.and the sticky traps is the other method i will use. once again i highly appreciate you guys taking time out of your day to help me out. thats why i love this community so much<3

OGONLY

OGONLY

I found some wierd larva type worms in my rockwool yesterday. They were very small, kind of clear and had tiny black heads. Are these fungus gnat larvae? I had some gnats for a period of about 4 weeks. They kind of vanished over the past 10 days or so until I saw a couple a few minutes ago in my room. Thinking the larvae are hatching.

We had a cold snap the past couple of weeks. My lights off temps were getting down to about 57. I think that knocked em back a ton. Now that temps are back to normal they reappear. Dont think that is a coincidence.

B

black.lung

can i use spinosad as a root drench or will that damage my ladies ?. ive found some clearish maggot like larva in my medium too when i was re potting so i got some gnat off but that hasnt worked.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Yes, you should be able to use Spinosad, but mosquito dunks would be cheaper.
I thought that gnats lay eggs in your medium and will hurt your roots. Any one know about this... I also bought the sticky paper from h. depot and it folds to an open triangle around the stem. In a week they were filled with all the flying suckers..
Yes, that's how fungus gnats cause damage (outside of the adults getting stuck onto your super stickyicky, that is).

The sticky traps are more to monitor numbers, for me at least. I would have to put traps at every pot for them to be effective in actually reducing numbers. I make war upon them.

THIS IS WAR!!!

Ohiofarmer

Ohiofarmer

Dry your coco out for a week which will kill the larvae and also kill any new eggs that have been laid,by that time any new gnats that have hatched will die, but i would cut back on the watering a bit =P i just got over this same problem with my current grow. I also went out and got some all natural clay and smeered it all around the top of my coco to stop new eggs from being layed. Hope this helps. Take it easy man, hope your meds are bomb.:smiley_joint:

altitudefarmer

altitudefarmer

I've heard of farmers also using about 1" of sand on top of their soil to stop the senseless reproduction... :)

MeJuana

MeJuana

I have heard the same thing use sterile sand on top 1 inch layer or so and the gnats can't get in, larvae can't ever get out.. I have been blessed with no gnats yet in my CoCo

lambrettats1

lambrettats1

s

my mate had a spot of bother with some flying gnats. he bought some gnat off and added an inch of sand he bought from mothercare because its washed and safer than sand which may have salts in it. to date no more flies and some happy looking girls. here they are post treatment.TS1

DSC00824

Latest posts

Top Bottom