Gnats

• Thread starter timshortridg
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
timshortridg

timshortridg

These fungus gnats are taking over. How can I get rid of them without spending a bunch of money.

Beachwalker

Beachwalker

These fungus gnats are taking over. How can I get rid of them without spending a bunch of money.
Screenshot 20191128 175324 Chrome

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
I use a multi pronged approach. First rule is always remove any dead plant matter and leaf litter. Eliminate the food sources as much as possible. Using enzymes and bacteria can help to reduce the amount of attractive dead root matter in the rootzone.
Then once or twice a day for 3 weeks I'll release Konk 418 Airguard with 1.8% pyrethrin. Just quick 2 second burst as its potent stuff.
In addition to that I will put yellow sticky traps over each pot. The big ones. Kept up for 3 weeks the Konk will kill all the fliers before they can reproduce and it should effectively end the life cycle.
I wouldnt use it deep into the flower cycle though.

B

Burned Haze

Liquid BTI is way stronger BTI =8%, has a way better shelf life and is wayyy cheaper ( especially when you get the gallon , makes it a gallon a dollar & .5ml per gal )

the key is if you get a gallon or any size for that matter ( fridge it after you open it to keep the max shelf life, that was suggested by the rep when I was on the phone )
I apply the the suggested amount every feed ( since I’m coco, even if your soil, just do always) as preventable instead of every 14-21 days, just apply every Rez fill and quit being a cheap ass . The %lose or risk of having fungus gnats is worth it! And I’m not a person to throw away my cash, I fav in a cheap ass. Just look at normal commercial greenhouses/fields , they even have insurance ( you can buy) for fungus gnats cause if it infects your crop too bad. That’s why you don’t want fungus gnats and it will reduce your crop %

120 bucks for a gallon = gets me 4-6 runs, so that’s like 25 bucks , if I ever saw a fungus gnat I would fight but I never do since I became super preventative. Don’t fuck around
If your smaller , you’ll jut go further, shelf life is 1-1.5ish years in a fridge.

BMC Microbe Lift Biological Insect Control
(1 Gallon) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XQ51LWK/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_9qx6DbKPPNFHT

—-

If your infection is existing (BTI is going to kill the larvae and great IPM for future )

Azaguard ( better alt to azamax ) @ max rate

Last edited by a moderator:
timshortridg

timshortridg

Hey guys thinks for the knowledge, those lil flying fucks are going to regret hitting my grow its war, and I got my work cut out because they have been there for a month and they are great in numbers. I made a peroxide and water solution and used it to try and control the larvae wanting to suck the life out of my girls and then I used peroxide water and apple cider vinegar and dosed them all and nearly burned them up my new growth sights were destroyed, thank God they came back. Now I have lil bowls of the vinegar cause apparently they are attracted to it and put fly traps on yellow cardboard, after I gettem under control Ill put a little sand in to keep them out. Thanks guys and your right cheap ass just aint gonna cut it if I wanna good return.

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
Hey guys thinks for the knowledge, those lil flying fucks are going to regret hitting my grow its war, and I got my work cut out because they have been there for a month and they are great in numbers. I made a peroxide and water solution and used it to try and control the larvae wanting to suck the life out of my girls and then I used peroxide water and apple cider vinegar and dosed them all and nearly burned them up my new growth sights were destroyed, thank God they came back. Now I have lil bowls of the vinegar cause apparently they are attracted to it and put fly traps on yellow cardboard, after I gettem under control Ill put a little sand in to keep them out. Thanks guys and your right cheap ass just aint gonna cut it if I wanna good return.
I've just used fans blowing over the top of the pots, sticky tape and I remove the top 1/2- 1" of soil when damp off the top around the edges of the pot then add some fresh soil to replace what I took off. Seems to keep them under control. They live close to the surface so removing the soil off the top gets rid of them pretty well.

timshortridg

timshortridg

Thanks thats a great idea, probab ly the best one ive heard. A friend told me that 7s dust is what he uses for pests so I took a little that he gave me and sprinkled it directly on my girls and the dirt. Please tell me I didnt screw up.

fishbuds

fishbuds

when i get a few: DE heavy on top of soil. Then perlite layer over that. I even tape the drain holes closed for a few days to interupt the cycle.

Latest posts

Top Bottom