• Thread starter gettogro
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
G

gettogro

Marijuana loophole in Colorado under scrutiny

By KRISTEN WYATT Associated Press
POSTED: 01/14/2014 09:48:20 AM MST2 COMMENTS| UPDATED: ABOUT 6 HOURS AGO

DENVER—Colorado lawmakers are debating whether they should close a loophole in the state's marijuana laws that could allow pot growers to pay far less in taxes by registering as the medical marijuana caregivers.
Colorado's chief medical officer and the head of the agency that regulates marijuana businesses asked a panel of legislators Tuesday to examine the laws that regulate pot suppliers who provide the drug to people on the medical registry.

They say some caregivers have large operations with up to 100 patients, with hundreds of marijuana plants, and are essentially commercial growers skirting proper oversight. Caregivers, they note, can sell marijuana to medical patients at the 2.9 percent tax rate, while recreational pot carries a 25 percent state tax, in addition to local taxes.

The state's top medical officer, Dr. Larry Wolk, said high-volume marijuana caregivers are violating the spirit of the law.

"I am fairly certain that doesn't meet the definition of a caregiver," Wolk said.

Medical marijuana advocates, however, say that a change in the law would be premature and could cause already shrinking supplies of the drug to dwindle further.

"The state of Colorado's interest is not in the health of the patients, it's in the money. And that's disgusting," said Laura Kriho of the Cannabis Therapy Institute.

There are about 5,000 registered caregivers in the state, and the application process remains open. Those seeking the designation don't face the extensive background checks or fees required of those who grow or sell pot commercially.

Caregivers are required only to be 18 or older and have "significant responsibility for managing the well-being of a patient who has a debilitating medical condition."

The model was part of Colorado's 2000 adoption of a medical marijuana system. It was not changed by the 2012 expansion of marijuana access to all adults 21 and older—not just sick people.

The state currently sets a five-patient cap, but caregivers can seek waivers for more. And because some patients have authorization for high numbers of pot plants, a handful of caregivers have significant growing operations.

Colorado lawmakers now will consider giving caregivers a hard limit of five patients, plus themselves, and a maximum of 30 plants.

Barbara Brohl, the head of the Department of Revenue, which regulates marijuana businesses, agrees with Wolk and has asked lawmakers to step in and require high-volume marijuana caregivers to submit to the same scrutiny required of commercial growers. That includes background checks, daily tracking of marijuana inventory and 15 percent state excise taxes.

"They should then apply to the Department and go through the same process that any other marijuana business would do," Brohl said.

The Legislative Audit Committee, a bipartisan panel of lawmakers, voted 6-1 to have a bill drafted to limit marijuana caregivers. The full Legislature would consider the idea later this year.

Wolk said it's too soon to know whether Coloradans are fleeing to the medical marijuana registry, as some predicted.

It also is unclear what chances the bill would have of passing.

In addition to the higher tax rate on retail marijuana, high permitting and licensing fees have further driven up the price of Colorado pot.

Some Colorado marijuana shops are selling high-end marijuana for as much as $400 an ounce before taxes—about double what it cost before recreational retail sales opened Jan. 1.

Patient advocates have complained about the marijuana price spike and supply problems.

Colorado's recreational pot inventory has come entirely from the state's pre-existing medical marijuana inventory, leaving some patients who don't grow pot at home paying higher prices until new plants mature.

"I'm in tears over the whole thing. People can't get their medicine and others are making millions of dollars," said Kriho, the medical marijuana advocate.

———

Read more: Marijuana loophole in Colorado under scrutiny - The Denver Post http://www.denverpost.com/marijuana...oophole-colorado-under-scrutiny#ixzz2qR65UNcq
Read The Denver Post's Terms of Use of its content: http://www.denverpost.com/termsofuse
Follow us: @Denverpost on Twitter | Denverpost on Facebook

G

gettogro

Hmm, I didnt know I could sell to my patients and charge a 2.9% tax. I thought I could only charge for the cost of growing MMJ, but could charge extra for caregiving duties..

PaperStreet

PaperStreet

Man its happening fast too hasnt even been a month!!
Guarantee its those greedy pig dispensary owners lobbying for it too count on that! Its all gonna back fire tho in the end bet.
Haha there gonna take our jerbs lmao

PaperStreet

PaperStreet

Lol they everything the mafia wanted to be seriously tho nobody seen it comeing?
Its funny these Rec/Dispensary owners are only next in line. Once they shut the little guy down I guarantee they will be useing the medical thing against them and over takeing it all so be careful what u greedy pigs are pushing for ur giveing them everything they want and dont even know it.
I say awesome in the meantime let them take our competition and run it up there i hear theres not enuff to go around and they really need the wieght up there lol plz bring it there haha.

I hope people are seriously paying attention to whats happening right now recreational states only means bad things for the medical community.

KitsapGrapeApe

KitsapGrapeApe

Lol they everything the mafia wanted to be seriously tho nobody seen it comeing?
Its funny these Rec/Dispensary owners are only next in line. Once they shut the little guy down I guarantee they will be useing the medical thing against them and over takeing it all so be careful what u greedy pigs are pushing for ur giveing them everything they want and dont even know it.
I say awesome in the meantime let them take our competition and run it up there i hear theres not enuff to go around and they really need the wieght up there lol plz bring it there haha.

I hope people are seriously paying attention to whats happening right now recreational states only means bad things for the medical community.
Yep, the state of Washington wants to completely eliminate home grows for patients, they want to put us a a registry like sex offenders.

homebrew420

homebrew420

Come on 2.9% tax is nothing besides how is that fair for the others folks that jumped through the innumerable hoops to have a legit setup. I like making $ and not paying taxes for it. Its the American way! But this is not too bad.

Peace all

G

gettogro

Well I dont think I will be going to the gay pile anytime soon.

I still live and act as if I am still in a non med state. Hopefully I dont ever have any leo encounters.
I thought I was getting a little too big for my britches getting my patients to all get a 12 plant rec.. total of 72.. I have been hearing about people getting large 100+ light warehouses operating under the caregiver loophole with hundreds of plants.
I cant hate for people having bigger balls, more power too em.. But I think it is those guys that are bringing all the heat. If they chop all caregivers back down to 35 plants I can still survive. I grow plants on the large side..

Well if they are going to change things I guess I should join them and blow things up till they do..

sixstring

sixstring

I don't like all the regs they keep adding but damn man,100 patients seems a bit extreme imo :confused: 20 or 30 would be plenty I would think,but somebody's always got to push the limits and ruin it for everyone.still cant believe my state hasn't said a word about taxing us that im aware or,although they r talking about goin all pharma on us,just a matter of time till they take home grows away just for the fire factor.i keep saying we are one good trailer park fire away from no more home grows lol.fuck it ima play dumb,just keep on keepin on and be like what you guys changed the laws,,,,,again wtf :)

intoco

intoco

best policy seems to just never support the rec stores or the dispensaries that double down on both sides of the track. i.e. medicine man. dude wants to becom3 the walmart of pot. who the f*ck? I have tried a couple Dixie products at a friends house and someone needs to be monitoring these big corporations. I had a sparkling citrus drink and some hard candies that supposedely had hash in them.
supposedely......

where is the love? I figured Colorado would be more progressive with the huge operations like this that are cooking the books and borrowing publicly, reflecting poorly on the greater mountain growing scene. greed and desire I guess well see how much shitty pot people will sell.

in the end I believe commercial operations will be compromised by poor oversight and general lower quality produced. played right, the 12-30 light grow can be much more efficient than hiring out cheap labor. the labor knowing their getting fuvked wont try as hard, and will quit as soon as they have the means to start their own. im very interested to see what happens in oct.

Skoosh

Skoosh

Feb 3rd 2014.
I noticed something the other day when an out of state friend went to a rec store here.
His 'rec' weed had a med label on it. (Meaning (to me) that some stores are taking mmj (lower tax rate) and selling it as recreational. (Also, the 'weak sauce' of Colorado is now back up to $6,400/lb for recreational.)
Just my observation.
Sk
;-)_~~

Skoosh

Skoosh

(Note to all Coloradans: when I said 'weak sauce' I meant the fact that most of the rec weed I've seen lately is b or mids in med grade terms.)
(Generally, what I made hash out of in Nor Cal.)
Apologies for not clarifying previously.
Sk
;-)_~~

muir

muir

why are you letting friends shop in a store? How goes it old friend. my number is still the same, give a call

Feb 3rd 2014.
I noticed something the other day when an out of state friend went to a rec store here.
His 'rec' weed had a med label on it. (Meaning (to me) that some stores are taking mmj (lower tax rate) and selling it as recreational. (Also, the 'weak sauce' of Colorado is now back up to $6,400/lb for recreational.)
Just my observation.
Sk
;-)_~~
tore

chickenman

chickenman

Premium Member
Supporter
(Note to all Coloradans: when I said 'weak sauce' I meant the fact that most of the rec weed I've seen lately is b or mids in med grade terms.)
(Generally, what I made hash out of in Nor Cal.)
Apologies for not clarifying previously.
Sk
;-)_~~
No worries we all know most med and rec. is bunkish....
When I pass the med center I like to yell out BUNK!!!!!
Folk's are startled... LOL...

Skoosh

Skoosh

muir, my old friend. I'll buzz ya later.
(I sent my friend to a store because I didn't think I had any friends left in Colorado, except for my fiance, Shar)
(I also let him shop because I'm 2-3 weeks from chop.)
Thank you for your message. It means more than you know.

Yes, chickenman, I too marvel at the bunk they're calling 6.4k/lb
I don't yell BUNK when I drive past, I yell CROOKS!

JeromeGarcia

JeromeGarcia

best policy seems to just never support the rec stores or the dispensaries that double down on both sides of the track.

No, that is not the best policy. The best policy is to be aware of what is going on at a local government level. The localities are the ones who can restrict the caregivers easiest.

If anything is tried at the State level to restrict caregivers there are people who are not aligned with the dispensaries that would lobby to defeat any such regulations. You should figure out who those people are and support them with words, deeds or cash. :)

Top Bottom