Going away for 5ish days, will my soil plants be okay without water while I am gone?

• Thread starter DoBetterr
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
GrowHobo

GrowHobo

Nvm it’s probably gravity fed just took me a minute to understand. Cool concept.

DoBetterr

DoBetterr

In Promix. No wild temperature hikes. Yeah. I can go 5 days without watering. If your media holds moisture well. It will be fine. If its fast drying media. May be an issue. If you have high heat. And fast drying media. You could reduce the illuminated hours to as little as 8. Maybe use those dollar store plant watering bulbs.
Which media are you using? And how hot and humid is it? And how often are you watering now?
I’m using fox farms ocean forest, I keep it between 75-80 in the tent and RH is 55% I water now when the soil is dry and my leaves start to droop. It’s usually 4 days or so between feedings now.

DoBetterr

DoBetterr

I can't raise my light either I just pull them down a littlebbut I use a mover as well 👍
I had to throw a trellis net up in my tent to try and keep the tops of the plants away from the lights. I did some tie downs but 3 plants in a 3x3 tent didn’t give much space for spreading them horizontally like I wanted.

MilkyTrichomes

MilkyTrichomes

You could fill up a few bottles of water and put small holes in lid so it drips out and push them into the soil..im just thinking out loud..something like this could work..
Yes sir, that will work! I have used 20 oz coke bottles, 3 bottles in a 7gal bag. After cutting off the bottom of the bottles drill 2-3 very small holes in the caps and turn em upside down and drive them in on the edges of the drip line. Works in a pinch. Just fill em up and it’ll slowly drip.

freezeland2

freezeland2

My wife and I are going away Wednesday until Monday night, my plan is to give them a good feeding Wednesday afternoon right before we go to the airport but I am concerned about the time we will be away and the girls not getting fed during that time. We are without trustworthy friends and family anywhere remotely close to us so that is unfortunately out of the question.

I grow inside a tent with 3 GG4 autos, they are 16 days into flower now with 18/6 light cycle, RH is 55% and the temp is controlled sitting between 75 and 80 degrees.

I know blumats are an option but I would have no way to delay the water from going into the pots once I place them in said pots from my understanding.

Any thoughts are appreciated, Thanks!
Why would you want to delay the blumat s? I use them. Once dialed in it’s a set it forget. You just need to ensure the reservoir is filled or be connected to a water source.

lvstealth

lvstealth

Supporter
You could even put a little smart cam in the tent so you can see the watering. Assuming you have WiFi and want to throw money at this problem.
you can (for free) use an app called alfred and any old cell phone with a camera and watch the whole time. i have several set up. it is one way i help my mom, watch the dog and the front door

love the pump and a smart plug idea. just a small aquarium pump would work. this has possibilities (but is no where near as cool as the mousetrap setup!)

DoBetterr

DoBetterr

Why would you want to delay the blumat s? I use them. Once dialed in it’s a set it forget. You just need to ensure the reservoir is filled or be connected to a water source.
Don't the blumats start to disperse the water pretty much right away, albeit slowly over 24 hours? I am planning to feed them right before we leave then the plants wouldnt need water for another 3 or 4 days at least.

elduderito

elduderito

the concept of blumat is to maintain a level of moisture - you install them in the soil that has the ideal level of moisture - as the moisture decreases it 'sucks' water through the blumat carrot... ideally you would want to set it up at least a week before leaving to ensure you've set it up properly..

Greenyos

Greenyos

If you have no other option.. You could just leave a little extra water in the drip tray. I do this often when i have to go out of town. Plant usually drinks up it's reserve in a day or so and then it's good and watered with only 3 days till your back..

Lilolme

Lilolme

Could you use a small grow bulb instead of your regular light? Might not produce a lot of growth but might slow em down and cut down on the heat. Cheap non plumbing or Rube Goldberging although I love that kinda stuff. I would just ph 15 gallons of water close the stopper pour it in
EEFCC0F8 DAB9 4C49 82AE 2954DFC0EF60
and away I would go but I grow in a bath tub

DoBetterr

DoBetterr

I opted to go the heavy feeding right before the airport route. Came back to some dropping leaves and a little discoloration near some of the flower sites but no noticeable damage 2 weeks later which is a major win in my book.

Question is should I clip the yellow leaves near the buds or just let them continue to die so as not to disturb the flower?

Lilolme

Lilolme

I opted to go the heavy feeding right before the airport route. Came back to some dropping leaves and a little discoloration near some of the flower sites but no noticeable damage 2 weeks later which is a major win in my book.

Question is should I clip the yellow leaves near the buds or just let them continue to die so as not to disturb the flower?
The plants will use the energy stored in those leaves, I would leave em

MartyMcFly42oh

MartyMcFly42oh

Next time try top dressing with mulch, and if possible dim lights. The coke bottle drip idea seemed good too.

DoBetterr

DoBetterr

Next time try top dressing with mulch, and if possible dim lights. The coke bottle drip idea seemed good too.
coke bottle drip sounded like a clutch budget idea honestly but we do not have 2 liter bottles and for some reason I didn't even think of the possibility of just buying and dumping them. Mulch is another good call, are you using something special for that or is the same stuff I use in my landscaping okay?

MartyMcFly42oh

MartyMcFly42oh

coke bottle drip sounded like a clutch budget idea honestly but we do not have 2 liter bottles and for some reason I didn't even think of the possibility of just buying and dumping them. Mulch is another good call, are you using something special for that or is the same stuff I use in my landscaping okay?
Nothing I have tried personally, I’ve just seen people use a top dress of mulch to slow down water evaporation. I can’t get away from my place for more than a day, but if I was in a jam I’d try that.

Top Bottom