going from 24/0 to 18/6

• Thread starter bluegrass
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
B

bluegrass

I am going to try and switch my plants from a 24/0 light schedule to a 18/6 for both clones and my mother. Will the plants start flowering as a result? Will it provide unneeded stress? Will they be stretchy as fuck? Are there any precautions I need to take? Thanks a lot guys!

motherlode

motherlode

@Rolln_J
Supporter
they wont skip a beat bro and may even perk up as plants need sleep too

B

bluegrass

Im gonna try that tonight then! Thanks brother man!

xX Kid Twist Xx

xX Kid Twist Xx

Premium Member
Supporter
i wouldnt bother unless u have alot of plants. but if u are just running a few keep them 24 hour. just makes everything easier. but if u need to save power or heat then its soemthing differnt.

F

frostedlove

What do I know

I was under 24/7 four a week or two and just switched to 18h and found they were doing better.

I agree plants need sleep. "I know people will debate it and I am not stating a fact or an argument. I am just giving my thoughts...... I just agree with common sense......just like us---plants need sleep too.

But I don't know much so yea thats my two sense

I did it and nothing happened.

GOOD LUCK

Nobodynobody

Nobodynobody

The plants give on other cims while they sleep. kinda a natural thing. overall they wont mind the change. save on power.

S

skindeep35

I went from 18/6 to 24/0 then back to 20/4... now 12/12 and they are frosty :rasta:

sedate

sedate

motherlode said:
I agree plants need sleep. "I know people will debate it and I am not stating a fact or an argument. I am just giving my thoughts...... I just agree with common sense......just like us---plants need sleep too.

Um. Just to nitpick - "sleep" is a very fucking complex biological function that is largely confined to mammals and other very, very complicated organisms.

However - dark cycles trigger all sorts of hormonal changes and other things like sugar transport and root activity - and I agree with Venom and motherlode here -

Giving plants a 6 hour dark cycle does seem to give plants a bit extra vigor and growth. I also believe dark periods help clones root quicker as well.

I've actually had a few sativas or sativa dominant hybrids that would not grow under 24 hour light.

U

up yours

Going to 18\6 also thanks for the info could use the savings on power bill

tortuga1503

tortuga1503

I have a friend in the s.f. area. He went from 24/7 to 18/6 and one of his strains started flowering. He has grown the strain for a couple of runs now and has never done that to him. I`ve done the same w/o problems. Do fresh cuts only 2 or 3 days. Do they need 24 hr lighting to root? I was always under the impression they do

motherlode

motherlode

@Rolln_J
Supporter
ya know I have always left rooting clones on 24/7 and then when I move em they go to 18/6

Im not big on the 24/7 theory in veg so Im thinking somebody back when told me to do that, plus it helps maintain temps with the domes since I dont use heatng mats

xX Kid Twist Xx

xX Kid Twist Xx

Premium Member
Supporter
yeah i hear you about the theory but running larger numbers of plants you will save on the power bill if you had more more lights, will you yield any better probable not. but if it helps you sleep better then do it. from my experience plants go into flower quicker under 24/0 then 18/6.

M

MHM

There's been a lot of discussion of veg lighting schedules on many different forums. I've spent some time searching around to find some solid data. Almost every thread I can find speculates on two different ideas... either that plants need "sleep" so 18-6 is best/fine, or that more light equals more growth, so 24-0.

Well, I finally found a test done on another forum. I can't find the original post, only references to the study that was originally posted. So, I completely understand if no one wants to take it fully seriously. But the results of this study were that side-by-side comparisons with different lighting schedules (and light intensities) resulted in the conclusion that 20-4 was actually the most efficient lighting schedule for vegetative growth.

They compared 16-8, 18-6, 20-4, 22-2 and 24-0... as well as HID vs. T-5 fluoro. The results concluded that using T-5 vs. HID in the same time period, etc. found T-5's to produce only 49% of the yield that the plants veg'd under HID did. Not to say that T-5's aren't great (I have an 8-bulb, love it) but side-by-side in the same time, they get their ass kicked. Also, 20-4 came out on top, and was rated at the standard of 100%. In comparison it went something like, 18-6 being 2nd, 24-0 being 3rd, 22-2 being 4th and 16-8 coming in at 5th. I might have mixed up one of those, I'm just reciting from memory, but the T-5 to HID ratio is definitely on point, and 20-4 pulling a 100% vs. 89% ratio on 18-6 for final yield is also accurate.

So, I don't have a link. But take it for what it's worth. Something worth looking into... I've been running 20-4 since, only switch it up if it's an unusually hot day, etc.

tortuga1503

tortuga1503

Ya someone recently told me plants need to sleep. Makes some sense I guess I need to sleep so why not them. I perform better after sleep so maybe they would to. Saving power totally makes sense,but I`m wondering if I take cuts and put them in my veg room under t5`s which runs 20/4 will that be ok,will they root or do I need to keep them seperate under 24 hr light till they root? I will find out myself,but I need some cuts to root asap. Thanks

vaporedout

vaporedout

ive heard both too, but with the cannabis plant doesnt it produce resin in the night?...... so being in veg and having no or little resin being produced, do you need a night?
im gettin ready to start up another and im using a 1000hps/mh light. i was going to run 24/0 for time reasons but not sure yet..... might try the 20/4. its winter now so i can have longer light times, and this new house is amazing on electric bills so a few extra hours a day wont hurt.

Jrod2676

Jrod2676

There's been a lot of discussion of veg lighting schedules on many different forums. I've spent some time searching around to find some solid data. Almost every thread I can find speculates on two different ideas... either that plants need "sleep" so 18-6 is best/fine, or that more light equals more growth, so 24-0.

Well, I finally found a test done on another forum. I can't find the original post, only references to the study that was originally posted. So, I completely understand if no one wants to take it fully seriously. But the results of this study were that side-by-side comparisons with different lighting schedules (and light intensities) resulted in the conclusion that 20-4 was actually the most efficient lighting schedule for vegetative growth.

They compared 16-8, 18-6, 20-4, 22-2 and 24-0... as well as HID vs. T-5 fluoro. The results concluded that using T-5 vs. HID in the same time period, etc. found T-5's to produce only 49% of the yield that the plants veg'd under HID did. Not to say that T-5's aren't great (I have an 8-bulb, love it) but side-by-side in the same time, they get their ass kicked. Also, 20-4 came out on top, and was rated at the standard of 100%. In comparison it went something like, 18-6 being 2nd, 24-0 being 3rd, 22-2 being 4th and 16-8 coming in at 5th. I might have mixed up one of those, I'm just reciting from memory, but the T-5 to HID ratio is definitely on point, and 20-4 pulling a 100% vs. 89% ratio on 18-6 for final yield is also accurate.

So, I don't have a link. But take it for what it's worth. Something worth looking into... I've been running 20-4 since, only switch it up if it's an unusually hot day, etc.
Totally agree , aside from autoflowers I’d have to say don’t really make difference . I’d keep autos 24 - . They’re just genetically different and anything 16+ and not much diff

Top Bottom