Good L.E.D for 4x4 tent?

• Thread starter SMOKEDOG
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
S

SMOKEDOG

HIGH YALL' as you can see from my avatar i can grow weed been doing it for 30 years. But never grow indoors and would like to know what kind of lights to buy ? Have been on utube looking and don't want to get ripped off when i pay for led lights. WHAT A GOOD LED FOR A 4X4 BOX.

K

kes5480

i use a (adjustable ballast) 1000watt hps light to flower and a 4ft 4bulb t5 floro set up with some cfl's for veg.
so do u have a 4 x 4 tent? if so a 600watt hps would be perfect or an adjustable 1000watter.
i never used the LED lites yet. u cant beat HPS from what i have learned from all my research. sorry if i wasnt much help, but gives u an idea what other growers use.
Welcome to the farm bro.
this site is great. u will improve as a grower if u hang around here for a bit, i have.
peace
Kes

wobbly goblin

wobbly goblin

best piece of advise i can give you is to forget about led's and get a hps
600 or a 1000 will work in a 4 by area

fwiw

ttystikk

ttystikk

Smokedog, let me add my voice to the chorus here about using HPS lighting instead of LED. I have some LED lights and they just don't perform as well as people would have you believe. If you're absolutely dying to try the bleeding edge tech in lighting, then might I suggest using a combination of a small HPS- like a 600W- and a Gavita LEP, or Light Emitting Plasma unit. The early results on that tech look extremely promising.

Have a look here:

S

SMOKEDOG

thanks guys i think i'm going to like it here and hope to learn alot. I will forget about the leds. I think i'll start with a 600 hp so with that said were do i get a good brand. Plus what is the idea tem. for my 4x4 box AND the soil PH level should it be. I'm old school and we just planted them in some pines and used some rabbit dropping and away they went. Now they fly all over the woods making it hard to grow.

P

Phate_

If your dead set on using LED's....check these out. Pricey, but I got this link from a breeder who's trying these out.
Oh will I get banned if I post a link? I'll pm it to ya.

B

benign

I also run a 4x4 tent with a 1000w HPS, depending on your climate you shouldn't have to worry about heat too much as long as you have good ventilation. Where I live it is cold as hell and my tent is in the garage, so my temps at lights off hover between 50f and 56f. In order to get my temps up to a decent range during lights out I went ahead and picked up a second tent with a 600w Halide where I run my mothers and clones, this light vents into my big flower tent and keeps my temps at 65f lights out. At lights on I hover around 75-79f. When I bought my 1k ballast I went with Lumatek so that I can dim it down if needed...my theory has always been to go with the biggest and best because stepping down is a whole lot cheaper than stepping up...I have a journal at RIU under the same handle if you are curious.

Old Fart

Old Fart

I have been working with LED's for thirty years now, I can remember the first blue LED's. They were about 80 USD each (direct from CREE, silicon carbide substrate, as opposed to the sapphire substrate now used) and ran on 3.5 volts at 20 milliamps, and when you turned it on it looked like someone painted it blue. A lot of progress has been made over the years, but they still have the same drawbacks as always. LED's are very wavelength specific, they put out one color and nothing else. THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS A WHITE LED. What you see as white LED's is nothing more than a blue LED with a bit of phosphor on the DIE to re-fluoresce the blue into other colors. This is not the strong point of LED's, which is to create one specific wavelength. In my opinion LED's should not be used alone, but in conjunction with other light sources, to amplify the beneficial aspects of the lighting being used.
One more tidbit of information, many people see the large heat sink on LED lights as an energy waster. This is not the case. The most efficient light only converts about 25 % of the electricity into usable light! The rest is converted into HEAT, a not avoidable fact. Another not avoidable fact is LED's hate, Hate, HATE heat. They must be kept very cool. I cannot stress this enough. Most LED's coming out of China are overrated and running way TO HOT. Just a few degrees can make the difference between 50,000 hrs and 2,000 hours.
All in all, LED's can boost an existing lighting system in a wavelength specific way that no other source can, extremely efficiently. But if you have a choice, point your fan so that it hits the LED light just to cool it a little more.

Latest posts

Top Bottom