Google helps police ID outdoor grows

• Thread starter jimp
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
J

jimp

There has to be privacy laws being nroken here

Police are increasingly relying on Google Earth to identify cannabis crops
VICTORIA, AUSTRALIA - Police have turned to satellite technology to hunt green-fingered crooks who grow marijuana in suburban backyards, on farms or on Crown land. With most outdoor crops maturing over the next four months, police are increasingly relying on Google Earth to identify cannabis crops, which can be worth up to $2500 a plant.

A Victoria Police spokeswoman has confirmed that Google Earth is a tool in the battle against outdoor growers and has helped with several recent investigations.

A senior member of Victoria's drug tasking unit told The Sunday Age the Big Brother technology would be used more when satellite images were updated more frequently.

"The detail is extremely good and allows us to pick up small plots of cannabis virtually anywhere," the source said. "The clarity is improving all the time, and I think it's something we'll probably use more down the track."

Google Earth was used, after a tip-off, to confirm the cultivation of about 20 mature cannabis plants in the backyard of a north suburban home in March.

"We definitely have more sophisticated tools, so we often use Google Earth to follow up on 'intel' provided to us by the community. While technology has come a long way, alert neighbours are still probably our greatest resource," the source said.

Police laid more than 1000 charges in 2006-07 for cannabis cultivation. The technology also enabled officers to monitor national parks and private farms, and detect changes in the landscape where native vegetation had been cleared for the illegal crops.

But the use of Google Earth as a law enforcement tool has raised privacy concerns among civil libertarians. Liberty Victoria president Michael Pearce, SC, concedes it is difficult to prevent new applications of satellite mapping but has called for tighter regulation.

"We think the most effective way of responding to these technologies is not to stop them, because we can't, but to ensure that they develop in a proper legal framework," Mr Pearce said.

He called for the Federal Government to respond to a recent recommendation by the Australian Law Reform Commission for a legislated right to privacy.

It was revealed in September that local councils were also using Google Earth and Google Street View to ensure ratepayers complied with by-laws and planning regulations.

City of Yarra Council used satellite mapping to identify illegal building activity in the municipality, which led to 175 notices and 35 prosecutions last financial year.

Yarra Mayor Judy Morton defended the practice, saying it had not been used to snoop on ratepayers. "The program is freely available to any member of the public to use, and there is no reason why council should not use this technology also," she said.

"It is by no means the only tool used in these circumstances and is used more as a means of confirming initial concern …"

- Article from The Age

Dr CandyMan

Dr CandyMan

Breeder
Supporter
ooohhh my GOD
i knew they would figure it out sooner or later. hopefully it wont become wide spread.

K

Kilo

thats mental ..it was only a matter of time init! when i last looked it still had my swim pool and trampoline in back yard ..

N

nyckid

I have noticed over the years that plants grown not in the direct open sun but hidden by light filtering through the trees grow even bigger and stronger than direct sun plants. I don't know why just an observation over the many years. I always look in the fall before the leaves fall for the next potential spot like this. I'm tellin you you can grow huge plants this way and they can't be seen by air. I guess you have no choice but to try it this way now. I'm tellin you all it works!!
nycKID

Dr CandyMan

Dr CandyMan

Breeder
Supporter
I have noticed over the years that plants grown not in the direct open sun but hidden by light filtering through the trees grow even bigger and stronger than direct sun plants. I don't know why just an observation over the many years. I always look in the fall before the leaves fall for the next potential spot like this. I'm tellin you you can grow huge plants this way and they can't be seen by air. I guess you have no choice but to try it this way now. I'm tellin you all it works!!
nycKID

i agree

S

stone69

nycKID

yeah my Grandpa's car was still in his drive way... now he's gone and the car has been totaled. I'm sure the big boy's get a better version of Google earth but it probably ain't updated too often either.

H

hererisssh

Premium Member
Supporter
Lol, I thought there was a nice fishing lake near us when we moved from looking at Google Maps, turns out it's been dry for 5+ years. Rotate spots.

S

stone69

Sorry

thats mental ..it was only a matter of time init! when i last looked it still had my swim pool and trampoline in back yard ..

This went with this one... man I'm stoned...

yeah my Grandpa's car was still in his drive way... now he's gone and the car has been totaled. I'm sure the big boy's get a better version of Google earth but it probably ain't updated too often either.

T

the Rock

google earth gets updated min every 6 mos.at the soonest, usually every 2 years so evedince may be long gone hopefully ( my bro in law is an engineer for google earth)$$$

R

rome

The cops love using that shit against people,. i saw sum guys got busted coz of sum incriminating photos they had posted on facebook,,. or was it myspace,.

ghost79

ghost79

nycKID
Marijuana plants need at least (5 hours of direct sunlight) outdoors. I don't know how many hours of "direct" sunlight your plants get each day, and you probably don't know yourself unless you have been at the site at the break of dawn until dusk, or being there at dawn and right before dusk. You're cheating yourself if this is the case. I agree that "M" plants can and will grow in the filtered light, but how filtered is it? If you were to grow the same plant in full sunlight, you would notice a dramatic, significant difference. I've grown plants in virtually the shade, but I now know I was cheating myself! However, if it avoids a bust that's what counts. Some plants are better than no plants.

reeldrag

reeldrag

first off theres not a bunch of people watching a screen just looking for MJ growing out in the woods it all starts with a tip second they can just use a helicopter to check it just takes more paper work but its allot cheaper then renting a satalite and yes they can get a semi live feed for a very short time span from google earth for the proper amount of money, very very very expensive like the yearly budget of most local law enforcement offices but it can be done but they cant just swipe a credit card charge 9.99 and hit your house with a live feed and watch you cruz around your back yard. military sat has the ability to do that but they are not looking for you they r plenty busy chasing REAL bad guys. I would be more worried about spy whare in your cell phone which is legal for them to use cuz the min you sign a contract you agreed to it without you even knowing it my homiee is a spyware designer for a large cell phone company its call data mining and its perfectly legal hell they can even turn on your speaker on your phone without a warrant as long as they only listen thru your speaker and not a true wire tap

Top Bottom