Got an electrical question...

• Thread starter jonnynu
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
J

jonnynu

Premium Member
Supporter
I figured this forum was the best to ask this question.

I want to MAKE SURE I DON'T HAVE A FIRE....

I have a room serviced by one 20 amp breaker using 10 guage wire from the breaker box. I want to run two 1000 w lights. I haven't tried this yet (currently running two 600s without a problem) but I have to figure it's going to be too many amps...can I go to a 40 amp breaker? If not is there a safe way for me to run both of these lights in this room with a worry...that's the question?

looking for a licensed electrians recommendations....I know you're out there!

God Love ya,

J:heart:heart:heart

R

REGISTRD

thats easy...make your 10gauge wire 240(get a dual 20amp breaker),,,and get a 4 light 240light controller (smallest they make)...

(your 10awg wire is using the black for your existing breaker already.. Remove the white wire from your nuetral bar and take some black elec tape and wrap it so you know its now a Hot.. connect em to your new dual breaker and you have 240...) just make sure your ground is still connected to the ground for safety...

J

jonnynu

Premium Member
Supporter
Sweet! Thanks a million Registrd!!!!

Mr.Sputnik

Mr.Sputnik

Does your 10awg have 3 or 4 wires in it? you want your neutral to be shielded and you should probably run a ground as well. If you're going from 110 to 220 you won't have a shielded neutral. I tried doing the 110 to 220 conversion and my 110 neutral ended up being grounded to the ground somewhere and it would pop the breaker anytime I tried to turn it on so it ended up not working due to faulty wiring in the garage. I'm running 8 1000w lights and 3 500cfm fans off of 1 10awg run at 220V on a dual pole 40A breaker. Break that load in half for a 110V. oh, and I've never popped the 40A breaker because I stagger the lights comming on by about 10 minutes, 4 come on and then the other 4 come on about 10 minutes later.

If you simply upgrade your single pole 110V breaker to a 40A you should be fine to run up to 4 1000W lights. 4 would be pushing the limit a little but you could do 3 plus accessories no problem, all on 110v. The trick is to stagger when the lights come on and not have all of your ballasts trying to ignite the bulbs at the same time, that creates alot of current draw at one time.

Hydro Jack

Hydro Jack

Does your 10awg have 3 or 4 wires in it? you want your neutral to be shielded and you should probably run a ground as well. If you're going from 110 to 220 you won't have a shielded neutral. I tried doing the 110 to 220 conversion and my 110 neutral ended up being grounded to the ground somewhere and it would pop the breaker anytime I tried to turn it on so it ended up not working due to faulty wiring in the garage. I'm running 8 1000w lights and 3 500cfm fans off of 1 10awg run at 220V on a dual pole 40A breaker. Break that load in half for a 110V. oh, and I've never popped the 40A breaker because I stagger the lights comming on by about 10 minutes, 4 come on and then the other 4 come on about 10 minutes later.

If you simply upgrade your single pole 110V breaker to a 40A you should be fine to run up to 4 1000W lights. 4 would be pushing the limit a little but you could do 3 plus accessories no problem, all on 110v. The trick is to stagger when the lights come on and not have all of your ballasts trying to ignite the bulbs at the same time, that creates alot of current draw at one time.

It's against code to use a 40a breaker on 10gauge wire.........30a max...HJ

H

hailo

It's against code to use a 40a breaker on 10gauge wire.........30a max...HJ

please explain...
New

xX Kid Twist Xx

xX Kid Twist Xx

Premium Member
Supporter
think you will need an 8 guage wire myself

Top Bottom