Got On The Bus 44 Years Ago Today

• Thread starter chickenman
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
chickenman

chickenman

Premium Member
Supporter
Got on the bus 44 years ago today....What a ride its been....
Eyes of the worlds first live performance..
Will never forget. the floor was jumping up and down at Maples Stanford Univ that night, also first Row Jimi Row...

jipp

jipp

i only have one deadhead memeorie. was a great concert tho.. nothing like Garcia in his prime.. but he still could jam even going through withdrawls.
its weird how phish took over the deads spot for hippy music.. once Garcia die it seems like phish was the next big thing to take there place. shrugs.
rock on

chickenman

chickenman

Premium Member
Supporter
Man nothing like the shows backin the day. We were all friends, no cell phone BS. everyone was happy and having fun. Then came the nitrous, shakedown street, 9 dollar beers, huge crowds, innocence was lost. But it all evolved and the music never stops.
The feeling one got at shows for true deadheads had little to do with drug consumption.
One could get to the place where the music enters your soul and unless you have been there impossible to describe.....

jipp

jipp

yeah thats why i never got into the whole phish thing.. it started out as stoners, music lovers.. but somehow it became a meth thing.. i may have party back in the day, but i never did coke, meth, or needle drugs.. just beer, weed, shrooms, couple of hits of lsd back in the day at a rocky horror picture show and lots of Adrenalin heart pumping physical things that us kids should not of been doing.. since if you messed up you die but what a rush when you follow through. hah. but when ya young, death yeah right.. .. yeah man, music should be good to enjoy on its own for sure,

chris,

jipp

jipp

and i agree. i held out for as long as i could on getting a cell. i was like if you want me, come knock on my door.. but then i just let my mind go blue.. and pushed everyone away for last 15 years.

i personally love folk music.. and for me i want the audience to be quite. hah.

but thats just me. i love music.. just now realizing how much i have missed it over the last few years..

crhsi.

chickenman

chickenman

Premium Member
Supporter
and i agree. i held out for as long as i could on getting a cell. i was like if you want me, come knock on my door.. but then i just let my mind go blue.. and pushed everyone away for last 15 years.

i personally love folk music.. and for me i want the audience to be quite. hah.

but thats just me. i love music.. just now realizing how much i have missed it over the last few years..

crhsi.
Me too how about some from my old friend Pete Rowan..Can't get much better than this...
That gal on the bass sure can play and smoke some weed ill tell you!!!

jipp

jipp

hah, damn man.. you just made my day.. iv wanted his old modified martin for a good decade. hah. i do have a martin but nothing as special as his but she is a great sounding girl none the less.
chris.

chickenman

chickenman

Premium Member
Supporter
DSC 0001

Used to go to couple shows weekly back in the day. These days a couple or so a year. Last show Neil with Promise of the Real Telluride Colorado , Willie Nelsons son's are in the band. these kids absolutely brought out the best of Neil...2nd person dead center right up front.
Some of the best Neil I have heard in 46 years of being a huge fan, we grew up in the Bay area close to where Neil lives....
I went the first night and just had to go the second night no way could I have stayed home and pouted...
DSC 0946

jipp

jipp

once i get healthy i have to get out to a show. what i need to do is starting practicing again. i did pick up my guitar dis morning tho, fingers still know what to do, just got to get my mind back in the game. once i feel better, i have lots o f things i need to do. work in progress i guess. laughs.

but yeah live music is the best. unless its pop shit that they limp sinc
chris.

chickenman

chickenman

Premium Member
Supporter
First day at show got in line noon
they handed out numbers around 3 pm I got 13th in line everyone else had abandoned chairs in line went to town...
Gates at 530. Got dead center second person front.
Next day had to break news to wife, 135 bucks a ticket, just had to go..
left late got inside 545 and got the same place up front and previous night...
Funny I remember handing out plums waiting in line, a kind of tradition to feast while in line . These gals, Richie's by the looks of them were reluctant. After one bite they were blown away..

What a day, on the way the fall colors were popping and the Alpenglow during show magic
DSC 0787
DSC 0834

jipp

jipp

very pretty scenery. much diffrent from the trees i grew up with.. they stay green all year, hah. well not all of them but id good majority of the forest

yeah, the line thing.. sounds like you made some new best friends with the girls. heh

your food does look good. i like to grill, but not done that yet again in a long time.. heh... i have this running on theme here.. i may as well just start saying.. yeah iv done it, not done it in a long time tho.. for everything i talk about. hah

chris.

chickenman

chickenman

Premium Member
Supporter
My friend who was there with me that night recalls...

.It was A stormy Friday night, the sneak to the
floor and afterward hitchhiking to Portola Valley in the rain feeling
a mile high after our first GD show..

1diesel1

1diesel1

Staff
Supporter
Autzen stadium Eugene Oregon back in the day was a beautiful place when the dead came to visit. Always 3 shows in the middle of summer. If we were lucky it wouldn't rain. The atmosphere my first time was beyond belief. I didn't know what to expect. It was a wonderful and beautiful surprise. I will cherish those days to my grateful end.

M

mendel

Seems appropo......since were splitting hairs and all. neil isnt jerry

chickenman

chickenman

Premium Member
Supporter
Lucas Nelson a chip off the block..

Latest posts

Top Bottom