Got some fox farm OF and FFHF need help

• Thread starter ogtealover420
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
ogtealover420

ogtealover420

So I grabbed up some bags of foxfarm happy frog and ocean forest today. And I find it goes low in ph though plants are happy though I feel I can get better results with proper ph adjusting(the happy frog that is this is my first FFOF purchase not sure if it will do the same) so how much lime should or can i add to a bag of foxfarm soil? And if anyone knows how much lime is too much for a typical bag soil?

B

Boots Sugarleaf

I find happy frog to be great the way it is, I have used it for years now with great results, indoor and out, with teas and with hydro and organic ferts, always great success. I wouldn't mess with Happy Frog at all....the ocean forest I have not used

BOSSMAN88188

BOSSMAN88188

I have used both.
I prefer FF ocean forest mixed with light warrior.
1 bag of each mixed together. And I don not nutes in veg. The FF is hot meaning it has alot of nute availible in it.
I just water with plain R\O water and never have any PH issues.
I did get faster growth with other mixes. But the end quality did not compare.

How is the drainage with those 2 mixed together?
What type of lime? Fine dolomite?

ogtealover420

ogtealover420

Hey bossman I have sweet lime-fine dolomite.....i add perilite to the final mix,about 30-40% for drainage. And i know all about foxfarms soil being great and how it is hot but I need two feed 2 1/2 weeks after transplanting plants that were close to being too root bound. When I feed the tea the ph is low in run off and then that inturn causes my ph to drop to 4.5-5 in the soil so i want to add lime to buffer I think one tbs per gallon casuse the foxfarm already has unspecified amount in it or would two be fine as well? Also what "mixes" gave you faster growth? Not that i want to change but I am curious.And what about lime in my teas???????

BOSSMAN88188

BOSSMAN88188

I did a test run with sunshine mix #4. But I added a little more then 50% in perlite because that stuff holds a ton of water.
How long are you brewing you're teas for. In my experience teas usually read at 6.8 to 7 if brewed long enough.
And how are you measuring the ph of the soil.
I only test the runoff when I plain water because I know the PH is at 7 so what ever the runoff measures at has not been hindered by nutes.
I would not add lime to the teas.
I like to remove the top layer of soil then sprinkle 1 tbl per gallon of soil of lime.
Then recover with soil and water in.

B

bdawgburner

If I were you I would mix both bags together and add 20% perlite. Thats what I use for my soil mix and my girls love it.

ogtealover420

ogtealover420

Bossman, i brew my teas for at least 24 hrs sometimes 48 hr. The ph is cool at
first(7) then it drops once the microbes kick it into high gear. I test the run off with drops and I have a soil meter to check my ph.My ph always drops I use sunleaves guanos the whole line.What do you use since your ph is ideal? I am using 1 tbs guano.1 tbs mollasses,1tbs EWC, and like 5-10 ml of liquid karma per gallon of water I have other additives that find their way into the plain water I use. So what humic acid would be good to use? Humega from botanicare smells like rotten eggs but seems to be of good quality and OMRI listed which i like alot.Not priced too bad either.

BOSSMAN88188

BOSSMAN88188

Have you tried blue mountain orgainic.
There stuff is the bomb and very well priced.
But as far as brewing you're own.
The sunleaves guanos are the bomb.
That tea mixture sound's perfect. I mite add a little more guano.
I like the karma but never tryed it in my teas. I wonder if it is the culprit.
IMO the mollasses is plenty of food for the beny and micro beasties.
Have you try used some crushed alfalfa in there. It is magical for the girls.
If you are interested I will send you a link to some great info.
Does you're tea have a good froth on top t=when done brewing.

ogtealover420

ogtealover420

BOSSMAN, the froth comes on heavy then subsides i had mollasses to the tea and it gets froathy again.I know about alfalfa but do not have any i need to grab some alfalfa for my teas for sure as well as green sand to mix in the soil to bring up K in hopes of getting some bigger nugs...Yeah I like LK and kinda want to use OMRI listed 4%humic and OMRI seaweed extract 1-1-16 instead but not sure how much of each to use to get close to LK. So What do you think of adding super hot soil to the bottom 1/4 of a lager pot say 7-10 gal??? Like subcools recipe???? sounds a tad risky but an awsome idea!

BOSSMAN88188

BOSSMAN88188

The hard part of adding it to the bottom of the pot IMO.
Is the timing the girl's need to be rootbound bt second weak of flower.
Witch is great time for the extra nute's but if you go too hot in will be difficult to fix.
Do a search for OHSOGREEN. He is on a few forums and truly knows organics.

Top Bottom