Got to love them LEDs.

• Thread starter Pakalolo Laau
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Pakalolo Laau

Pakalolo Laau

Thanks interesting point in valid but i would mind tossing the extra $ at the light you will make that up in electric bills not to mention the tree - guess i'll have to keep track of your progress and maybe try to grow 1 plant start to finish under my cheap one and see its currently on the males i am sorting thru ...

I got sold 3 times in 3 years..... Lol. Crazy shyt, but I have seen the lights come a far way. Plus the saving do pay off in the long run. The first one got for 300, then the next 2 were 1k a piece. The lights did get better year to year though. I spent 2300 so far and probably spend another 1k if the lights took another giant leap forward again. lol. I must be cabbaged or something. lol.

soserthc1

soserthc1

deduced the electric bill and you'll feel better - kinda makes sense thou a little now as people are probably just waiting for them to( reach there full potential (or should i say the led's are totaled dial in ) before they become big . Guess time will tell wonder if anyone has done a side by side with a equivalent hps / led - huh was about to buy a new gravita now u got me wondering ......

oregonized

oregonized

I really like the light mover!!! First one I think I have seen in LED and that means a lot. Been contemplating this for a while. I wonder how much I could expand with just a light mover from a 3x3?

I have just started to go indoors and I have been using LED bulbs to replace CFL's. I have space limitations and all these crazy cabs, none would fit any Commercial LEd fixture. Umol's from the bulbs are almost 65% more with half the wattage.
Cree's and Phillips Lumiled bulbs.

That said I am looking to go to an Area51 190 [3x3] or a couple of Hans Panels. Apache Tech might make the nearest HID killer in the AT600, but I won't touch em after their abuse of brother Tags. R.i.p

BIGDAMBUD1

BIGDAMBUD1

I'll agree with the LED trend coming about...I'm in my 3rd year with them also..I've not experienced the cal/mag issue though...I have used them with HPS and now starting to use them alone...the kw savings overall in the room outweigh the yield importance for me..it is somewhat smaller, but with the savings in kw's it's a nice trade off in my opinion...absolutely no loss of quality in anything I've put under them...I'll be following along as well...B

Medusa

Medusa

Trichome Engineer
Supporter
A 300 watt led would equal what in hps and mh ? Have one coming a side by side would be interesting... great log .. All that sun and your growing indoors ? LOL

619ster

619ster

A 300 watt led would equal what in hps and mh ? Have one coming a side by side would be interesting... great log .. All that sun and your growing indoors ? LOL
A "quality" 300w LED would be more/less equal to 300w of HID. It's never been true that a LED can outperform HPS "yet". I have a 120w LED (2 actually) that can match the results that would come from a 1000w HPS as far as bud size/density. But no way are my 240w of LEDs gonna yield anywhere near what a 1000w would yield. I personally compare HPS and LEDs watt for watt. If I want to grow a pound per grow in a tent and I'm used to doing it with a 600w HPS, I'll replace it with ~600w of LEDs. Not anything less because the ads claim the LED panel can "match" what a 600w HPS can do (which is true in a sense when you consider it my way how I consider my 120w LEDs as powerful as a 1000w HPS).

Pakalolo Laau

Pakalolo Laau

In the winter it can be a bitch. It rains here and soaks down pretty good. That pics of my Flight did look nice until the rain hit hard. Even though I covered the greenhouse, damn humidity still took out some nubs from a few of my girls. Especially my rock candy. So having a little indoors as backup does help, a little. Its just a side hobby from the outdoors. A great time for outdoor here is during the summer. That is when it gets really awesome. So as the holiday season rolls in, this Hawaiian plays inside when its raining. Lol. Then there is the Meth tweakers that raid everything outdoor that you don't have nailed down. Lol. Not kidding too. Staying up for most the night watching my outdoor meds for a month can be stressful.

I just got some new light to try out too. Not Led or HID. Its the new one. I got a friend that will be logging in that one next to a 600. If it does well, I'm going in on it. I'm going to do a sample with this Mag2, then with the other. It will be a good challenge to conquer.

When I do the led sample, there will be an outdoor sample going of the same strain. I am going to compare it next to the sun grown ones. Same nutes and everything. I know I ain't going to beat the sun, but I think its even better to see how close I can get next to it with what I use. Its a different concept, but sounds fun to try. Hehehe, us crazy Hawaiians....... Peace and happy healing. PL.

Dunge

Dunge

Check this out:

$219 for 150W WHITE light. (You supply the electrical cord.)
I was at a friends warehouse shop, and he was replacing 400W MH high bay lamps with these LEDs.
LEDs looked brighter, and the light was very nice.
I just put one in flower space (replaced one of three 400W HPS) and one over my veg where the one LED replaced six 4' florescent.
The biggest breakthrough I see in these lamps is the lack of fans. No fan means I can expect the long LED life to pan out. None of the other LED grow lamps I have purchased will outlive the first fan failure.
The second interesting aspect of these lamps is how white and broad spectrum they are.
I can only imagine that the LED component is producing a short wavelength energizer that is then reflected off of an emitter surface.

They look great, open up the look of my grow spaces, and run cool and quiet. Cool is a relative term here as they do generate heat, but the flower room temps fell 4 deg F by replacing one 400W HPS. This was a needed heat reduction, so it is to the good.
Time will tell, but I can easily see replacing the other two HPS if this grow finishes out well.
I pay $.25 per KWH so payback should be quick.
Perhaps the time has come.
I have seen lots of big lamps getting tossed at the dump.
These new LEDs are likely the explanation.

Medusa

Medusa

Trichome Engineer
Supporter
Check this out:

$219 for 150W WHITE light. (You supply the electrical cord.)
I was at a friends warehouse shop, and he was replacing 400W MH high bay lamps with these LEDs.
LEDs looked brighter, and the light was very nice.
I just put one in flower space (replaced one of three 400W HPS) and one over my veg where the one LED replaced six 4' florescent.
The biggest breakthrough I see in these lamps is the lack of fans. No fan means I can expect the long LED life to pan out. None of the other LED grow lamps I have purchased will outlive the first fan failure.
The second interesting aspect of these lamps is how white and broad spectrum they are.
I can only imagine that the LED component is producing a short wavelength energizer that is then reflected off of an emitter surface.

They look great, open up the look of my grow spaces, and run cool and quiet. Cool is a relative term here as they do generate heat, but the flower room temps fell 4 deg F by replacing one 400W HPS. This was a needed heat reduction, so it is to the good.
Time will tell, but I can easily see replacing the other two HPS if this grow finishes out well.
I pay $.25 per KWH so payback should be quick.
Perhaps the time has come.
I have seen lots of big lamps getting tossed at the dump.
These new LEDs are likely the explanation.

Says has frosted glass ? are u taking the glass off? Interesting ....had to quarantine a clone and put under a 18 watt led desk lamp, that sucker grew 6 inches in the first 3 days now had to clone it and is now taller then the lamp... impressive growth. Seems it runs pretty hot though..

Dunge

Dunge

Says has frosted glass ? are u taking the glass off? .
I'd have taken the cover off were it easy.
I feel like I'd need to cut it out rather than take the unit apart.
At present they are making me so happy, think I'll just let 'em burn.
And remember, no cooling fans.

Medusa

Medusa

Trichome Engineer
Supporter
I'd have taken the cover off were it easy.
I feel like I'd need to cut it out rather than take the unit apart.
At present they are making me so happy, think I'll just let 'em burn.
And remember, no cooling fans.

so your getting enough light thru the frosted glass?

Pakalolo Laau

Pakalolo Laau

Looks good Pakalolo. When do they go into flower?

-- iCultivate --

I bumped a few outdoors. I got 6 left in there. Making space for the growth. Probably in a week or 2. They have been growing since them pics too. Lol.

Pakalolo Laau

Pakalolo Laau

Says has frosted glass ? are u taking the glass off? Interesting ....had to quarantine a clone and put under a 18 watt led desk lamp, that sucker grew 6 inches in the first 3 days now had to clone it and is now taller then the lamp... impressive growth. Seems it runs pretty hot though..

I use the 5500k, 125w(equivalent) led flood light from home depot, with the cheap clip on reflector. 1 of those over a dome with 8-10 cuts do really well(at about 24-36" above the dome). I have a friend who uses 6 of them in a 4x4 for veg. They seem to do well for the budget minded grower. I use em because its easier than the t-5, and only for cloning. Oh, they work great for supplemental light in the corners. They also come in 2800k too. They use only 18w. Still near 40 bux though. Great supplement to anyone for sure.

BIGDAMBUD1

BIGDAMBUD1

My 2 flower rooms are full of the HTG 7 band 240's...4 in each 5 x 5 room...they work very well so far and have no problems at this point in the game...I first used a 6 to 1 ratio of HPS/LED with fantastic results...I've since dropped the HPS lights and running this round full LED...I'm liking um thus far...B

Medusa

Medusa

Trichome Engineer
Supporter
So would i be wasting my time adding a 300 watt led to my flower along with 3 600 hps's and a 1000 hps / thimking of mounting on wall and adding another any thoughts combining? Just answered my question in first post here ,, mixing is good..

Last edited:
ttystikk

ttystikk

So would i be wasting my time adding a 300 watt led to my flower along with 3 600 hps's and a 1000 hps / thimking of mounting on wall and adding another any thoughts combining? Just answered my question in first post here ,, mixing is good..

300 LED will help in one spot. Not really going to make any more difference than that.

Medusa

Medusa

Trichome Engineer
Supporter
what if I add another one...just for more light spectrum?

ttystikk

ttystikk

what if I add another one...just for more light spectrum?

Adding more will add up to more light, and doing it in a balanced way with hps will give the benefits of both. You'll need a lot of LED for that across any sizeable space. I can think of better ways to spend that money to either improve yield, improve quality or both.

Top Bottom