Grafting for optimal yield

• Thread starter deadcat
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
deadcat

deadcat

From what I understand, you can graft plants together as long as they are in the same family. So if you were to start up a Hackberry tree (Celtis occidentalis) seed, then right when it's still a sprout, cut the head off and graft in a Cannabis Sativa plant (both in the Cannabaceae family) on top as the new head, would you get some monster tree sized weed? Anyone ever hear of anything like this?

deadcat

deadcat

prob be good w/mom plants though, to keep multiple strains on a single mom.

Did some research, found out it only changes where the plant is getting energy from so a super huge pot plant would not happen, but I believe you can grow that tree (hackberry) and insert dozens (or hundreds if big enough) cannabis plants into various spots in the branches, creating a tree with several cannabis plant like branches. I can just see dispensaries lining up to loop hole the limit laws, lol. Too bad this particular tree grows mostly in the north east USA, prob get seeds and make it work on the west coast, IDK.

D

DrFeelGood

Brilliant thoughts, this is the kind of creative thinking that I like to see. Has anyone on here grafted any strains successfully? I was thinking of attempting a graft to see how it works.

Dr FG

Blaze

Blaze

From what I understand, you can graft plants together as long as they are in the same family. So if you were to start up a Hackberry tree (Celtis occidentalis) seed, then right when it's still a sprout, cut the head off and graft in a Cannabis Sativa plant (both in the Cannabaceae family) on top as the new head, would you get some monster tree sized weed? Anyone ever hear of anything like this?

I'm afraid it isn't that simple. Just because two plants are in the same family it does not mean they can be grafted together. For a graft to be successful the two plants must be VERY closely related to one another. Hackberry is not very closely related to cannabis - in fact many botanists place it in a separate family - Celtidaceae. Plus cannabis is a flowering annual, and Hackberry is a deciduous tree - there is absolutely no way the two could be compatible. There have been successful grafts between hops and cannabis but that is about it as far as I know.

Top Bottom