Grafting, Hybrids & Strains

• Thread starter stifler
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
S

stifler

Ok so I know it can be done but im new to the concept and would like to get some questions clarified regarding grafting. I think im understanding the hybrid thing as 2 strains bred together ie 1 male 1 female of different types similar to breeding dogs or whatever else and i get what a strain is ie its a type of plant, but grafting!

SO you take a 2 or more plants and graft them by keeping nthe stem of one and the foliage of the other(s) but then im lost...

So my questions are...
Does the graft just enable you to have 1 mother base with however many strains on it to clone from?
Or does it create a completely new plant or some kind of hybrid?
What im saying is what happens after the graft? do they merge into a new strain or several new strains or do they all stay as they were but take up less room as theyre all collectively attached to a single base?

S

stifler

Anyone?

Surely there are people on here who know all about this

Confuten1

Confuten1

exploitin strengths - perfectin weaknessess
Supporter
if u were to graft 2 diffrent plants(diffrent genitics) they would stay "diffrent". they would only share a root system. u cant pass genetics by grafting.

confu...

N

NaturalyGreen

As far as roses or avocados and such you have your root stock, that can have some desirable traits, usually disease resistance for roses and/or a tougher skin for the avo's. The scion (plant being grafted to stock) could then be used to take the desirable look/smell/flavor etc. So grafting does allow some plants to take on certain desirable traits if chosen correctly. As far as cannabis im not sure... i have grafted successfully but wasn't able to continue because I had to close the show. Fortunately I will be able to start experimenting again soon. I want to see the grafted tree post flower and see if the scion retained its genetics or maybe picked up some other strain traits! Either way very interesting post

S

SourPatchSwag

i wanna c

Are you going to be running this in the future i am interested. I have heard of using a big sativas root system with a small indica and alowing it to be drought resistent. I would be very interested to see if it will take on any traits from the roots...

N

NaturalyGreen

In the next couple of months I will hopefully have a grafted tree ready to flower. I will document and take photos and report back when I do.

S

stifler

Cool. Hope some more people pick this thread up too and we all learn something

S

stifler

BUMP
Anyone got anything new to add or any updates on graft projects??

R

rickisonline

BUMP
Anyone got anything new to add or any updates on graft projects??

WHen HG420 was around I did a thread on this with pictures. Apologies that my pictures and hg are gone. I used a lowryder root stock to graft my selections on to. It has a nice vigorous root stock. The one problem I ran in to was that the grafted plant would only stick around for about 5 months before running in to assorted difficulties. I would recommend a V graft method if you have the patience to make it and match it up. One of those clip on magnifying glasses help tremendously in getting a proper match.

The best thing to do is give it a try and see what works for your setup. I select young, tender shoots to graft. They seem to heal in a lot better.

Let me know if there is anything specific you are having difficulties with and I'll try to help. Grafting is THE way to go if you are dealing with plant count restrictions and attempting to keep a variety of med strains around

Top Bottom