Grand Daddy Purps - turning purple?

• Thread starter launchpad
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
L

launchpad

Hey Farmers - I have a wonderful looking indoor hydro garden with 8 GDPs. The buds are rich dense and crystalized. The stems and leaves are strong with dark and rich green. The plants are in 4x4 rock wool cubes, in pots with crutons mixed with hydroton, and in an ebb and flow.

Nutes - Awesome blossom, Botanicare bloom, hydrozyme, and vermi-t
Temps - 72 f in light & lower 60s f in the dark
Humidity - 65%

The plants are several days from harvest and the purps never purped? Any ideas? I checked with the origin of the clones and saw the results of the primary growers harvest and the plants are definately gdp.

I heard cooler temps often initiate purpling, but I tried and nothing happend, any ideas for the next generartion?

singlespeed

singlespeed

What week of bloom are you in? They usually don't start turning purple until week 5 or 6...

xX Kid Twist Xx

xX Kid Twist Xx

Premium Member
Supporter
What week of bloom are you in? They usually don't start turning purple until week 5 or 6...

yeah its gonna take 6 weeks for the purp to really show, if you are not getting any and you are past this i dont think its gdp. i have never seen a grow of gdp that dint have purps in the leaves at least

S

Steve Z

yeah its gonna take 6 weeks for the purp to really show, if you are not getting any and you are past this i dont think its gdp. i have never seen a grow of gdp that dint have purps in the leaves at least

exactly. if your using a 600 or more it usually tends to show up a little sooner. what type of lights are you using? ive seen a valid GDP clone not go purple, but it was because the light intensity was horrible, it was growing with like three cfl's.

dont know if thats your cause here, maybe some pictures would help. i love me some gdp, and i'd like to say i could spot it if given the chance....

F

FOUR20

altho there is a debate there are some grandaddy purp strains that ARE green, well at least ive seen some plus visiting multiple dispensarys will show even green purp is still purp yanno? its the tast an smell, maybe this strain isnt too heavy on the color changing but the smella dn taste should b fine......right?

xX Kid Twist Xx

xX Kid Twist Xx

Premium Member
Supporter
with the kens cut it gets purple from the top down so lower buds will be green or a littler greener then purple depending how long you take her. or i think Steve z made a good point about the light intensity.

L

launchpad

Upcoming results

Sorry for the delay in responses....

We are in week 7 going to 8 in a day or so, yeah the lights seem to make dif, I reduced the 600w hps to only a few hours during the light cycle along with the addition of some humidity! Now the purps are showing a bit, not strong at this time. However I think I will give them a couple more days to respond. I need to post pics...soon!

purpleberry

purpleberry

If you want it 100% purp you may have to let it go 9-10 weeks.

L

launchpad

on going

My light time temps are max 72f and dark time 65-68f. The purps didn't show like I thought, more of a darkening on the tops with redish purpling in the leaf veins.

I harvested a couple spears that were ready, the leafs and stems darked purplish within an hour of cutting. Now the lower flowers are showing signs of turing color. Maybe I should have waited a day or so more....

Next time. I will post some pics in a bit....

B

Baddog

Lowering water temp the last week will bring out the purple a bitt!

L

launchpad

h2O

I was just told to chill the water a bit by a local senior farmer! Clones have already started for a new batch. As I progress I will post updates.

OFF TOPIC (slightly) I tried taking pics and had poor results, any advice...I would like to be able to show all the experts what I am seeing.

singlespeed

singlespeed

Move the plant out of your room to take the picture, if possible. I just finished some GDP last month and I actually cut the tops off and then waited another week for the bottoms to turn purple before harvesting. Worked SOOOO WELL!

singlespeed

singlespeed

This is what the bottom half of my GDP looked like. Good luck with your PURPS bro!

Bottom1
L

launchpad

Nice pic

I harvested the tops as well! Agreed with the success! Although my purps are residing in the under side of the leaves??...going to reduce temps.

Removing the plants is a good idea!! really should have thought about that.....

The early harvest has the grapy taste as GDP should, but not purps. A med shop owner suggested that I flowered at too high of temps.

OPINIONS: What is the best temps for GDP? I averaged 72ish lights and 65ish darks.

Going to run another batch to try some new options?????

singlespeed

singlespeed

nonsense-Thanks bro. Launchpad I am glad to hear it worked out. Your temp is good. The rule of thumb is the colder it is the more purple you get. My batch was 72-62. Maybe it was the plants you started with? Sometimes they just don't turn as purple as they should. Good luck with the next grow, I started my new batch of GDP this weekend. When are you starting again?

homebrew420

homebrew420

By week 8 when I was running her, she was purple. high temps low temps, made no difference. Yield was always low, under a 600w. The leaves never got like Singlespeeds. stayed a lime green until flush. But Always heady purple flowers. Are you sure its GDP?

L

launchpad

I am fairly sure it is GDP, as I sampled some of the harvest a little early and there is grappy hint of a taste. Additionally more purples on the buds and stems. Therefore I think the GDP strain is present, but maybe not a strong strain.

Regarding the next batch I will be redesign a portion of my grow area. I will likely be posts pics and ?? on another thread regarding design. So it will probably be towrds the end of the month before I begin a new bactch.

Another thought about the GDP, that was the first batch from a newly established mother. Now the mother has really matured and has a distinct GDP smell and dark green leaves. Maybe the next grow will have better production.

Top Bottom