Grandaddy Purple... Big but Without Smell?

• Thread starter Jimster
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
I have grown a few rounds of Grandaddy Purple over the last few years. While the plants and yields are great, I notice that they seem to be lacking much flavor or smell, unlike all of my other varieties which smell like they should. I sort of noticed this before about the GDP, but it usually takes a few weeks after harvest for the flavors and aromas to develop. The GDP just sort of sits there without much good smell at all. Anyone else have similar issues when growing GDP? I've grown the same strain over the years and it never had much of a special flavor or taste... maybe it's just the particular strain that I have? The buds are big and tight with the purple-ish hue to them, and the effects are good, just he taste/flavor/smell. Hmmmmm.

Anthem

Anthem

I have grown a few rounds of Grandaddy Purple over the last few years. While the plants and yields are great, I notice that they seem to be lacking much flavor or smell, unlike all of my other varieties which smell like they should. I sort of noticed this before about the GDP, but it usually takes a few weeks after harvest for the flavors and aromas to develop. The GDP just sort of sits there without much good smell at all. Anyone else have similar issues when growing GDP? I've grown the same strain over the years and it never had much of a special flavor or taste... maybe it's just the particular strain that I have? The buds are big and tight with the purple-ish hue to them, and the effects are good, just he taste/flavor/smell. Hmmmmm.
I have not grown GPD. But I do grow Alien OG and it has the same basic issue. Smell is not there. I believe it has to do with cure time. I have had better luck hanging for at least 2 weeks and the nose improves

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
I have not grown GPD. But I do grow Alien OG and it has the same basic issue. Smell is not there. I believe it has to do with cure time. I have had better luck hanging for at least 2 weeks and the nose improves
The cure time isn't really applicable here as the other strains were cut/harvested at the same time and they all have their distinctive smell. I know flavors develop after a few weeks and the chlorophyll disappates somewhat, but there just isn't much smell or flavor at all. I noticed this a few years back when it first showed up... maaybe 10 years ago. I thought it was just the way the guy grew it until I included it myself. It doesn't taste bad or mis-cured, it just doesn't have much flvor or smell to it at all. Maybe should rename it the corona-bud, since the taste and smell is missing!

oldskol4evr

oldskol4evr

you grow in soil right jim?
try one plant in coco ,see if that makes a difrence,mama kept 4 of my plants going while i was in hospital,soil grow same strain i been running a year.so i decided since she kept them going before i flipped them to take cuts,as you know handling any thing was rough,so i took the cuts and decided that i would grow them in coco to hurry a finish on them before it got hot,man let me tell you ,i veg my plants just right under a light in open space of the room ,2 1/2 weeks into veg,i had to put them bitchs in the tent,stink to high heaven,there were really loud by the time i dumped the light to 12 hours on them,finish product was sticky as hell and loud,i mean loud hahahah,i had to disguise the smell with diesel in my utility room to cover it for the cure,and open them jars outside hahah.
give one plant a try and see what happens

the rrock

the rrock

Ive grown GDP couple times ,thinking about it there was no overwhelming smell just barely noticeable,but it was a fast finisheer with great coucher smoke

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
try one plant in coco ,see if that makes a difrence,mama kept 4 of my plants going while i was in hospital,soil grow same strain i been running a year.so i decided since she kept them going before i flipped them to take cuts,as you know handling any thing was rough,so i took the cuts and decided that i would grow them in coco to hurry a finish on them before it got hot,man let me tell you ,i veg my plants just right under a light in open space of the room ,2 1/2 weeks into veg,i had to put them bitchs in the tent,stink to high heaven,there were really loud by the time i dumped the light to 12 hours on them,finish product was sticky as hell and loud,i mean loud hahahah,i had to disguise the smell with diesel in my utility room to cover it for the cure,and open them jars outside hahah.
These were all grown in Promix/Compost. The buds are great looking and big, and it gets you where you need to be, it just seems to be lacking the typical good weed taste/smell. It doesn't taste bad, it just without much flavor or aroma. All the other strains stink like hell, but I noticed the same thing years ago but kind of forgot about it. Maybe it's the particular strain that I have... I have grown several "strains" that were supposedly identical in the past and each one was different. I think most genetics nowadays is a crap shoot.

RippedTorn

RippedTorn

Grow in fertile soil and every strain tastes good. I don't care about smell much, neither do repeat customers, it's all about taste. Taste buds aren't a myth despite what a bunch of NPC internet idiots tell you.

Been growing GPD crosses for a while, they all dank but aren't purps whatsoever. Anyone know how to bring the purp out of purps? What compost? What mineral? What microbes? These fucking forums are living in the stone age regarding this shit..

LittleDabbie

LittleDabbie

Supporter
Grow in fertile soil and every strain tastes good. I don't care about smell much, neither do repeat customers, it's all about taste. Taste buds aren't a myth despite what a bunch of NPC internet idiots tell you.

Been growing GPD crosses for a while, they all dank but aren't purps whatsoever. Anyone know how to bring the purp out of purps? What compost? What mineral? What microbes? These fucking forums are living in the stone age regarding this shit..

Who hurt you so bad..

MHippie

MHippie

Supporter

Get better seeds bro. Purp is genetic. I've got Round 2 of Purple Mountain Majesty from HSC going. They do the deal. Even as seedlings the stalks are deep purple in just normal "fertile" soil lol.

AZLandshaper

AZLandshaper

Ive grown a lot of GDP and it was the worst for smell. Every harvest the entire neighborhood around my warehouse would smell uncontrollably. All my employees (at my business next door) would comment on the stink. "somebodys got the superchrons up in this hood". Lol. Funny guys.

tomatoesarecooltoo

tomatoesarecooltoo

I generally try to avoid store bought clones for fear of PM and dudding, but I used to buy store bought clones and I got some nice purple buds from a Ken's GDP clones from Dark Heart Nursery, and got much greener buds from other GDP cuts.

DEOBUDZ

DEOBUDZ

I've been having this no smell issue ever since I decided to try coco and Synthetics and have grow multiple strains from multiple breeders and I and this problem with everyone. No.smell unless you touched the plant or broke it open after cure. When I grew with organic soil I could smell the plants before even going going in my house and the grow is on the 3rd(lowest) floor and the complete other side of the house from where we enter the garage. I have now switched back to soil and am hoping that will fix the issue.

Planewreck

Planewreck

A Nobody.
Supporter
Odd.You can smell my gdp from a mile away.Fairly pungent.

biggerbud420

biggerbud420

this is my gdp and it smells

Top Bottom