Grandma and Grampa's fall/winter 2022/2023 Grow Diary - Kanzeon's Kaleidoscope

• Thread starter MIGrampaUSA
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

It's a little later start than I had hoped but here we go ... Fall/Winter 2022/2023. Featuring Kanzeon's Kaleidoscope (@Kanzeon - Thank you for the beans). I also have 3 Greenhouse Seed's "Chemdog" as the supporting cast.

The Details:
Home made veg light - Various color T-8 LED tubes mounted on pegboard
Flower room - 2 ROI - E720 grow lights from Grower's Choice
Soil grow using Roots Organic "Original" for seedlings and Roots Organic "Lush" for late veg/flower
Organic Terp Teas from Roots Organic
5 x 5 seedling tent (for now) and over-sized Agromax 4' x 8' flower tent

Here's what we have so far:

Kanzeons kaleidoscop

Home made Grow light

Home made veg light

One of the Kaleidoscope seedlings isn't real happy with me. I disturbed the roots on transplant so she's pouting a bit. The other 4 seem very happy.

Edit: I forgot to mention that I'll be adding Barney's Farm - Pineapple Chunk a few weeks from now.

Last edited:
MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

Today's water day for the chem dogs. My wife watered them on Wed so today is day #4 since then. The plants are beginning to get some size. I've also started with some bondage techniques to help the girls bush out. LST and super-cropping is my norm. I'm not to that part yet, but the 3 chem dog gals will most likely be scrogged under a net. I'm not sure yet about the Kanzeon's Kaleidoscopes. They are still pretty young.

Since last time I posted, I've been working in the flower tent. I have 1/2 the tent setup with the other half only needing a little bit of tweaking before it can be used. I'll turn that side on only when I run out of space. No need to spend the extra money on the electricity until then.

20221026 193045

20221030 124619

20221030 124613 HDR

Some pictures of my setup:
20221030 124715
20221030 125638
20221030 125651
20221030 125701
20221030 125707

Oscillating fans - I prefer tower fans but those won't be of the best use until my plants are large enough to remove the table and shelf section and be moved to the floor.

20221030 125714 HDR
20221030 125718 HDR
20221030 125731

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

@Kanzeon 's Kaleidoscope:

4 are growing nicely. I hope I can up-pot next weekend.

20221030 124747 HDR

And the one that was pouting last time I posted continues to pout most of the week. We're seeing improvement and here shortly I'll trim off the damaged leaves. Notice how I've set it off to the side at the far edge of the tent. Light intensity there is a bit less.

20221030 124751

Speaking of intensity, here are my readings:

Kanzeon's Kaleidoscope regs:

20221030 125100

And my Chem Dog girls:

20221030 125442 HDR

It might be slightly high but we'll see.

Back to the chem dogs for a moment. I currently have them in "bondage." They are bent over using pipe cleaners. I'm bushing out the side branches using my signature technique ... LST and later on, Super-Cropping. The chem dogs will most likely end up under a scrog net.

Sorry @PipeCarver, I can't get myself to top my plants. I'd rather not wait for the new vegetation to grow out. I'm opening up the door for discussion here because no-top LST/super-cropping and Topping/pruning are both great techniques. Neither are better. They each serve a purpose and you choose your method based on what works best for you.

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter

View attachment 1297816

And the one that was pouting last time I posted continues to pout most of the week. We're seeing improvement and here shortly I'll trim off the damaged leaves. Notice how I've set it off to the side at the far edge of the tent. Light intensity there is a bit less.

View attachment 1297817

View attachment 1297818

And my Chem Dog girls:

View attachment 1297819

Back to the chem dogs for a moment. I currently have them in "bondage." They are bent over using pipe cleaners. I'm bushing out the side branches using my signature technique ... LST and later on, Super-Cropping. The chem dogs will most likely end up under a scrog net.

Sorry @PipeCarver, I can't get myself to top my plants. I'd rather not wait for the new vegetation to grow out. I'm opening up the door for discussion here because no-top LST/super-cropping and Topping/pruning are both great techniques. Neither are better. They each serve a purpose and you choose your method based on what works best for you.
I like topping because it gets the lower shoots to grow and I can take cuttings off them earlier. it also keeps them shorter and wider. I'm not pressed for flipping them and I usually go over 2 months in veg, without topping I'd need a bigger house. Don't let me anywhere near yours I get my pinching fingers out pretty quick when I see a an un topped top.... I know I have a problem Its genetic, my dad was a topper too.

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

I like topping because it gets the lower shoots to grow and I can take cuttings off them earlier. it also keeps them shorter and wider. I'm not pressed for flipping them and I usually go over 2 months in veg, without topping I'd need a bigger house. Don't let me anywhere near yours I get my pinching fingers out pretty quick when I see a an un topped top.... I know I have a problem Its genetic, my dad was a topper too.
I get the side branching bushiness by bending them over and tying them down. By next weekend, I should have some lower branch clippings to offer the neighbor. So yes, I can bush them just fine. What I don't get is 2 shoots for every cut but that's just fine ... I already have more buds on hand than I'll ever have a chance to smoke. My adult kids take much of what I don't keep.

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter

View attachment 1297816

View attachment 1297817

View attachment 1297818

And my Chem Dog girls:

View attachment 1297819

I get the side branching bushiness by bending them over and tying them down. By next weekend, I should have some lower branch clippings to offer the neighbor. So yes, I can bush them just fine. What I don't get is 2 shoots for every cut but that's just fine ... I already have more buds on hand than I'll ever have a chance to smoke. My adult kids take much of what I don't keep.
Growing for fun...awesome....I've a large supply now myself and after this grow and my girls in waiting I plan to grow 1 or 2 at a time of something special...( lol plans) Who knows if one of us gets health issues all our planning goes for shit...70 & 76 now shit happens

I really only need my GSC photo growing now and her babies....Its got it all for me, smell taste, smoke ability large heavy hard buds but there's always pics of beauties I'd like to sample and there's no way I can grow them all lol .....I've tried,..... I've a few growing now that might knock my GSC off top spot if I can get them to perform like they're supposed to.....we'll see

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

Growing for fun...awesome....I've a large supply now myself and after this grow and my girls in waiting I plan to grow 1 or 2 at a time of something special...( lol plans) Who knows if one of us gets health issues all our planning goes for shit...70 & 76 now shit happens

I really only need my GSC photo growing now and her babies....Its got it all for me, smell taste, smoke ability large heavy hard buds but there's always pics of beauties I'd like to sample and there's no way I can grow them all lol .....I've tried,..... I've a few growing now that might knock my GSC off top spot if I can get them to perform like they're supposed to.....we'll see

Growing is our hobby and we grow whether we need any flowers or not. My wife is disabled ... legally blind, although she can see well enough to navigate the grow rooms. It's good therapy for her ... gives her another "something to do" to occupy her time. The dogs and baking are her passions too. The way I see it, if we keep her engaged in things that she enjoys, then I'm much more likely to keep her in this world longer.

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
Growing is our hobby and we grow whether we need any flowers or not. My wife is disabled ... legally blind, although she can see well enough to navigate the grow rooms. It's good therapy for her ... gives her another "something to do" to occupy her time. The dogs and baking are her passions too. The way I see it, if we keep her engaged in things that she enjoys, then I'm much more likely to keep her in this world longer.
You bet, We need something to enjoy, get up for, care for too it gives purpose when we have to look after something or it will die. ( I mean the plants too) If there's some responsibility to feed, water and take care of things it keeps our brains active.....sitting still playing solitaire doesn't do it.

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

Update on things here ... It's been a busy week.

All plants are still in veg. We transplanted the chem dog girls to their final homes today. We're using 7 gallon AC Infinity heavy duty grow bags. These are nice because they have metal eyelets along the top to allow you to tie down branches on your plants. It's great for those who use LST or mainline techniques.

Chemdogs 7 gallon 1

My Kaleidoscope juveniles will be getting transplanted to 3 gallon fabric pots within the next couple of days. My daughter and her family were in for the weekend so we didn't get all the plants transplanted yet.

Kaledioscopes

Since the Kaleidoscopes are regular seeds, I'll sex them when I flip to 12/12 next weekend. The chem dog girls will be acclimated to their new homes and should be eager to start flowering ... once I start the flower light cycle. Kaleidoscopes will still be smaller than what I usually flip my plants at but I need to cull any males that might show up so I know how many new plants to start to finish filling up the flower tent. It's only half full right now.

Last edited:
Ganjadad

Ganjadad

Update on things here ... It's been a busy week.

All plants are still in veg. We transplanted the chem dog girls to their final homes today. We're using 7 gallon AC Infinity heavy duty grow bags. These are nice because they have metal eyelets along the top to allow you to tie down branches on your plants. It's great for those who use LST or mainline techniques.

View attachment 1300212

My Kaleidoscope juveniles will be getting transplanted to 3 gallon fabric pots within the next couple of days. My daughter and her family were in for the weekend so we didn't get all the plants transplanted yet.

View attachment 1300217

Since the Kaleidoscopes are regular seeds, I'll sex them when I flip to 12/12 next weekend. The chem dog girls will be acclimated to their new homes and should be eager to start flowering ... once I start the flower light cycle. Kaleidoscopes will still be smaller than what I usually flip my plants at but I need to cull any males that might show up so I know how many new plants to start to finish filling up the flower tent. It's only half full right now.
Looking really good MIGrandpa, definitely will be in for the show✌🏼

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

Weekly Update:

A lot of things happening this week.

1) Culled a male Kaleidoscope
2) Moved a Chem Dog female into a "mother" tent.
3) Started 6 chem dog clones

I'm still not quite ready to flip to 12/12. Maybe by next weekend? I guess we'll see.

Here's a few pictures:

20221114 180725 HDR

20221114 180739 HDR

20221114 180815 HDR

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

Picking up where we left off a couple of weeks ago ...

I finally flipped to 12/12 on Thanksgiving day. These Chem Dog ladies from "Greenhouse Seeds" have been kind of a "Goldilock's" variety and is up there amongst the most finicky strains I've grown. It's taken me a bit but I've finally got them dialed in. Meanwhile, @Kanzeon's Kaleidoscope are quite the opposite and have been no trouble at all dialing in.

Garden 1127

It's a boy - I had to cull another male. The rest are female so we're good to go now.

Its a boy

Ganjadad

Ganjadad

Picking up where we left off a couple of weeks ago ...

I finally flipped to 12/12 on Thanksgiving day. These Chem Dog ladies from "Greenhouse Seeds" have been kind of a "Goldilock's" variety and is up there amongst the most finicky strains I've grown. It's taken me a bit but I've finally got them dialed in. Meanwhile, @Kanzeon's Kaleidoscope are quite the opposite and have been no trouble at all dialing in.

View attachment 1306396

It's a boy - I had to cull another male. The rest are female so we're good to go now.

View attachment 1306397
Very nice! Looking super good, can’t wait to see some beautiful colas on those healthy plants✌🏼

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

I mentioned a couple of weeks ago that there's been a lot going on here lately. It's time to catch everyone up to speed. As I began to get further and further into the grow I decided I wanted to shake things up a bit. Instead of just growing from seed and starting over every grow, I made myself a cloning and momma plant cart. I'm using my best looking chem dog as the momma for now but eventually I will move her back into the flower tent and allow one of her children to become the mom for future generations.

Mother

Here's a picture of some clone roots

Clone with roots

And a picture of some clones in the cloner and others freshly transplanted to soil.

Clones

Ganjadad

Ganjadad

I mentioned a couple of weeks ago that there's been a lot going on here lately. It's time to catch everyone up to speed. As I began to get further and further into the grow I decided I wanted to shake things up a bit. Instead of just growing from seed and starting over every grow, I made myself a cloning and momma plant cart. I'm using my best looking chem dog as the momma for now but eventually I will move her back into the flower tent and allow one of her children to become the mom for future generations.

View attachment 1306398

Here's a picture of some clone roots

View attachment 1306399

And a picture of some clones in the cloner and others freshly transplanted to soil.

View attachment 1306400
Looking real good 👍🏼

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

Weekly update part A:

Starting with the clones. I've got 11 in soil (5 chem dog and 6 Kaleidoscopes) and 8 more chem dogs in the cloner that will be ready to transplant later this week. So right now, 19 clones in total. I'm not keeping them all. 10 of them will be heading to new homes soon. The rest I'll keep and work into my flower tent over the winter months.

20221204 175225 HDR

20221204 175230 HDR

20221204 175236 HDR

The mom is going to get moved into a 5 x 5 by the end of this week. I'm swapping out my SF4000 for this:

Here's a picture of the mom and another of my half cleaned out 5 x 5 where she's going once my new light arrives.

20221204 175425 HDR

20221204 175412

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

Part B:

I'm just now beginning to see flowering action. I flipped them about 10 days ago. Nothing really to report other than they are filling out the net on the one side and the other side I'm still spreading out branches. I'll have to support these with bamboo once they need it.

20221204 181045 HDR

20221204 181052 HDR

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

Bad news people. I've been hit by a WPM infection and I've decided instead of trying to battle it that I will cull the grow and start over after a thorough clean up. I'll update once things are back up and running again.

freezeland2

freezeland2

Bad news people. I've been hit by a WPM infection and I've decided instead of trying to battle it that I will cull the grow and start over after a thorough clean up. I'll update once things are back up and running again.
Sorry to hear that. That’s probably the best course of action with PM. You’d probably be battling it through the remainder of the grow if you continue on.

Top Bottom