Grass hopper outdoor help?

• Thread starter jay530dogg
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
J

jay530dogg

I have been seeing a lot of baby grass hoppers in my yard is there anything that can kill them ? I'm new with the grass hopper thing thanks

caregiverken

caregiverken

Fear Not!
Supporter
I havent found anything to stop them with except my fingers.

I have tons of little leaf hoppers on every plant. I kill em by hand.
I wish I knew a better way....but I dont want to spray chems..or anything that would hurt any of my good bugs

so Im subbed for this..hope you get some answers :)

below frigid

below frigid

Leafhoppers are one story, and grasshoppers are another. An infestation of grasshoppers can eat your plants down to nothing. Kill them while they are small. Spray the areas where they are with the strongest stuff you can find. Don't spray your plants. Once your plants are growing fast a hopper or two can't eat fast enough to really hurt the plants. Just pisses you off when you see a few damaged leaves. Spectraside seems to work. Sevin should work as well . I hear them in the bush but have not seen any on my plants yet. I sprayed my grassy areas where I saw the baby hoppers a few years back. Have not seen them in numbers since. Here ya go you pick. If I absoulutley had to spray my plants for grasshoppers I would use the Sevin. Nothing organic will nock down a infestation. I have found that birds eat most of the small ones before they get big enough to fly and do real damage. I have lots of Quail.

Last edited:
K

kolah

chickens love em'

cover plants with row covers or old thin-sheered drapes

depending on the size of your plants and your budget you may also consider enclosing them with 1/4" to 1/2" square-holed hardware mesh (fine screening)

maybe research what grasshoppers especially love to eat and plant it near by....in hopes they chose that (bait) over your MJ.

Whatever so-called "safe" chemicals you spray on the ground around your plants it still gets in the soil and your plants have a good chance of uptaking it. I grow organic and never use any commercial stuff...and I always seem to find solutions.

My greenhouse gets a few garlic bulbs, onions, dandelions and marigold flowers planted in the beds. I also make simple soap and pepper (or garlic) mixtures and use it as a spray.

Grasshoppers will destroy plants in no time. I've gotten leafhoppers but kept them to a minimum by handing picking the little fuckers. Beware of critters munching on your main stems at the base of the soil. You may want to wrap them with tinfoil as mice. chipmunks etc love to nibble on them. Check your plants from top to bottom closely at least twice a day.

Last edited:
caregiverken

caregiverken

Fear Not!
Supporter
Red neck Hippies rule!
Hippie

geologic

geologic

Old Pharmer
Supporter
Like Ken, I hunt them suckers down and pop-off their heads; and throw 'em on the ground. I read a scientific paper years ago about a study where dead grasshoppers were left laying around an area (and a separate control area with no dead grasshoppers laying around) and living grasshoppers that entered the dead grasshopper study area--
died...

geologic

geologic

Old Pharmer
Supporter
Nolo Bait
Nolo Bait is a wheat flake that has been spiked with a grasshopper disease, Nosema locustae. It doesn't harm any other insects except for Mormon crickets and perhaps other everyday crickets. When properly applied, the grasshoppers eat the Nolo and get sick. Tomorrow's grasshoppers cannibalize the sick ones, spreading the disease through the population. Nolo Bait is probably most recommended for homeowners with some acreage, unless whole blocks or neighborhoods in the city could get together for a concerted anti-grasshopper effort. Because of the grasshoppers' sheer numbers and mobility, Nolo Bait is most effective when used over larger areas.

Kaolin clay
There is a relatively new control called Kaolin clay. One to two cups (240 to 480 ml) of the powdered clay is mixed with one gallon (3.8 l) of water with about one teaspoon (5 ml) of soap, such as a mild dishwashing soap or Dr. Bronner's soap (from health food stores). To make mixing easier, the Kaolin clay should be slowly added to a cup or two (240 to 480 ml) of water first to make a paste (with the soap), and then added to the rest of the gallon (3.8 l) of water. This mixture should be sprayed onto all leaf surfaces. The object is to have a white film on the leaf that repels the grasshoppers. This may require more than one application, depending on the concentration of clay in the spray.

Diatomaceous Spray
Mix one cup (240 ml) of diatomaceous earth with one gallon (3.8 l) of water along with two tablespoons (30 ml) of blackstrap molasses. Spray this onto the plants. Diatomaceous earth looks like talcum powder, but to the insects it is like broken glass.

Neem oil
Neem oil from the Neem tree in Australia can be used as a repellent. It works in several different ways. It is a repellent, a feeding inhibitor, deters egg-laying, and retards growth.

Pesticidal soaps
Pesticidal soaps may also be used. It is the fatty acids in the soaps that make them work. When the soap touches the outer body of the grasshopper it slowly begins to dissolve this outer membrane. This causes dehydration and death. You need to be careful when using this on your plants since it can do the same thing to your plants that it does to grasshoppers. Test a small portion of the plant first before your treat the whole plant. ...

caregiverken

caregiverken

Fear Not!
Supporter
i use this shit called nolo bait, it makes the grasshoppers become zombies and stop eating plants , they start eating eachother
it does what its suppose too
Cool Man..I will get some of that then! Thanks for the tip!

edit to add; I havent seen many grass hoppers..and just a few crickets..
But that could change any day now

caregiverken

caregiverken

Fear Not!
Supporter
I went out with some safer soap mixed up in a small sprayer
and I was going to test in on the volunteers that have lots of leaf hoppers
But i stopped when a spotted a couple of these wasps
Wasp

Hard as hell to get the camera to focus on em
..I think they eat leaf hoppers

They eat something..i don think they eat the plant
anyway..I didnt spray...I have tons of lady bugs and their larva everywhere
and lots of other strange bugs too. I dont want to hurt them.. :)

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Kaolin clay
There is a relatively new control called Kaolin clay. One to two cups (240 to 480 ml) of the powdered clay is mixed with one gallon (3.8 l) of water with about one teaspoon (5 ml) of soap, such as a mild dishwashing soap or Dr. Bronner's soap (from health food stores). To make mixing easier, the Kaolin clay should be slowly added to a cup or two (240 to 480 ml) of water first to make a paste (with the soap), and then added to the rest of the gallon (3.8 l) of water. This mixture should be sprayed onto all leaf surfaces. The object is to have a white film on the leaf that repels the grasshoppers. This may require more than one application, depending on the concentration of clay in the spray.
GREAT post, geologic! I happen to use a product called Surround, which is meant initially for fruit and nut trees to prevent scorch. But, it's made from a nice kaolin clay. I'd use something like JMS Stylets oil as the adjuvant and sticker/spreader.

J

jay530dogg

I went out with some safer soap mixed up in a small sprayer
and I was going to test in on the volunteers that have lots of leaf hoppers
But i stopped when a spotted a couple of these wasps
View attachment 407195
Hard as hell to get the camera to focus on em
..I think they eat leaf hoppers

They eat something..i don think they eat the plant
anyway..I didnt spray...I have tons of lady bugs and their larva everywhere
and lots of other strange bugs too. I dont want to hurt them.. :)
Hey I have that on my plants wtf is it gonna kill my plants?

Top Bottom