Great read on rockwool. Excellent tips in here.

• Thread starter Capulator
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
alligator

alligator

Whoops, sorry Cap, I was going off memory from one of your posts saying you were gonna try blocks & slabs.
I've read that article at least 4 times & have it printed out & filed, it's exceptional stuff(thank you for posting it!)
I have experience with just about every style except rockwool, and I'm really excited about running it.

alligator

alligator

Hey Cap, since you're here- mind if we talk a little RW?
I've been doing my research for weeks and there's a handful of Rw questions I can't seem to find an answer to.

I've got the system designed:
- top feed drip(PR drippers)
- 2gal smart pots with rw croutons + a little hydroton(or chunky perlite) mixed in.
(I clone & veg in aero/Dwc so can't do rw blocks or slabs, plus I really like the idea of the extra air exchange from smart pots & loose Rw croutons + hydroton)

-I have my base nutes laid out, but what I can't find info on is using certain additives with rockwool.
Namely:
-silica
-kelp
-fulvic
Are those 3 RW friendly?

Also- are bennies & RW compatible?

MedicineFarm

MedicineFarm

so in my efforts to maintain a clean environment utilizing rock wool i have come across an idea that is working well so far.in the past i ran six inch blocks on top of coco mats with good results as the coco acts as a light proof breathable barrier to allow more root mass to grow beyond the block and increase over all plant size. coco is not a treated substance and carries gnats along with it, this sucks and is something i no longer deal with. i called envirotech green houses and spoke with a guy named josh, he was more than helpful in getting me a cut off of their light proof breathable fabric that comes as a four layer product. i pulled it apart to make a two layer product. i cut 6 inch holes where my blocks are spaced as well as holes for the top feed drip lines. so far it is doing what i want, roots are growing and i am maintaining moisture so they don't get air pruned. i will post mrs pics as time goes on. the root shots are spaced three days apart to show the growth rate.
Photo 1 15
Photo 2 15
Photo 1 17
Photo 2 17
Photo 3 11
Photo 4 6
Photo 5 4

dankemhunter

dankemhunter

Medicinefarm -
I have been wrapping my tables with panda paper and setting my blocks on spill trays filled with grow stones. It's been working great so far. Rocks stay moist. For my next grow I will be using FWOK by Hydroponics Research. I'll be making a mound in spill trays and setting my block on top of it and wrapping the tables. FWOK is supposed to be the tits. When I wrap the tables, if I stick my hand inside, it's super humid!!

MedicineFarm

MedicineFarm

NICE! ive been having fun optimizing moisture content in the blocks and beyond. sounds like we are walking down the same road just wearing different shoes!! I'm going for simple and not a lot of extra costs and labor with multiple mediums. i mount a small 6 inch fan at the back of my tables to draw a little air flow across the fabric layer and a cycle timer on the top drip allows for proper moisture with out overwatering etc. Capulator not only likes to smell trees, he has a lot of eye opening tips like this article, it has given me new ideas on a few levels!!! i will keep posting time line shots to see how far i can go, i may add a mister set up next time and cut back a little on the frequency of waterings from the top drip.

20kwDreamer

20kwDreamer

I've been in rockwool forever. I just posted this for people who have a lack of understanding of the wool. Plus, if you really read the article there is a lot to be learned...even if you don't grow in wool.

What have you tried nutrient and supplement wise? I did well with Lucas (2-part) the few years I did rockwool. I plan to try the new Grodan Expert slabs with Lucas formula (Nova & Plus).

HiGro

HiGro

Yo Cap, You ever clone in rock wool? Im experimenting with it now and wondering if ya got any pointers.

oscar169

oscar169

Farming 🌱
Supporter
Yo Cap, You ever clone in rock wool? Im experimenting with it now and wondering if ya got any pointers.
2nd that I just started tonight, Testing out the Growdan rock wool with dome and tray, 1st time ever have always used Ez-clone machines but tired of all the bs with them ,and I'm going from Rock wool to Pro Mix..

Capulator

Capulator

likes to smell trees.
Supporter
2nd that I just started tonight, Testing out the Growdan rock wool with dome and tray, 1st time ever have always used Ez-clone machines but tired of all the bs with them ,and I'm going from Rock wool to Pro Mix..

Sorry just saw this!

I only clone in rockwool. I soak my cubes in the following per 5 gallons:

1 tsp rapid start
4 tablespoons clonex
1 tablespoon bleach
pH to 5.5

I let them soak in that preferably overnight.

I use a mondi clone tray and I use the grodan orange plastic insert for the tray. This keeps the cubes off the bottom of the tray. I fill the tray with some tap water, about 1/4 inch.

I shake the cubes with one downward motion to remove some of the water so that they are not saturated. Then I fill the orange plastic holder every other row so the cuts arent too overcrowded. This method will fit 42 cuts to a tray.

I put them under a t-5 fixture but I only use one philips bulb in it, instead of 4 bulbs. 3500 K you can but it at home depot. It's a way better spectrum for rooting than the spectralux blue t-5s that come with most hydro store bought fixtures.

I use dip n grow. fill the cup up halfway with tap after adding the dip n grow to the concentrate line. Soak for 20 seconds and place in the wool. Put the dome on with both vents fully open and dont water until the cubes are almost dry. You should already have roots by then if you are lucky!

Confuten1

Confuten1

exploitin strengths - perfectin weaknessess
Supporter
so in my efforts to maintain a clean environment utilizing rock wool i have come across an idea that is working well so far.in the past i ran six inch blocks on top of coco mats with good results as the coco acts as a light proof breathable barrier to allow more root mass to grow beyond the block and increase over all plant size. coco is not a treated substance and carries gnats along with it, this sucks and is something i no longer deal with. i called envirotech green houses and spoke with a guy named josh, he was more than helpful in getting me a cut off of their light proof breathable fabric that comes as a four layer product. i pulled it apart to make a two layer product. i cut 6 inch holes where my blocks are spaced as well as holes for the top feed drip lines. so far it is doing what i want, roots are growing and i am maintaining moisture so they don't get air pruned. i will post mrs pics as time goes on. the root shots are spaced three days apart to show the growth rate.View attachment 434416View attachment 434417View attachment 434418View attachment 434419View attachment 434422View attachment 434423View attachment 434424

WOWAH, anti gravity room, hehe jk. looks good
confu

Confuten1

Confuten1

exploitin strengths - perfectin weaknessess
Supporter
Sorry just saw this!

1 tsp rapid start
4 tablespoons clonex
1 tablespoon bleach
pH to 5.5

I use a mondi clone tray and I use the grodan orange plastic insert for the tray. This keeps the cubes off the bottom of the tray. I fill the tray with some tap water, about 1/4 inch.

I shake the cubes with one downward motion to remove some of the water so that they are not saturated. Then I fill the orange plastic holder every other row so the cuts arent too overcrowded. This method will fit 42 cuts to a tray.

I put them under a t-5 fixture but I only use one philips bulb in it, instead of 4 bulbs. 3500 K you can but it at home depot. It's a way better spectrum for rooting than the spectralux blue t-5s that come with most hydro store bought fixtures.

I use dip n grow. fill the cup up halfway with tap after adding the dip n grow to the concentrate line. Soak for 20 seconds and place in the wool. Put the dome on with both vents fully open and dont water until the cubes are almost dry. You should already have roots by then if you are lucky!

@Capulator , you ever let your cutts soak for 12-36 hrs after cutting b4 u insert into cubes? Ive noticed that after that initial soaking theres no need for the humid dome, reguardless of rh. I still keep em around 50-60 tho. jus curious

confu

oscar169

oscar169

Farming 🌱
Supporter
Sorry just saw this!

1 tsp rapid start
4 tablespoons clonex
1 tablespoon bleach
pH to 5.5

@Capulator How may days you leave on the Dome ?..Thanks :D

Last edited:
dankemhunter

dankemhunter

@Capulator Once your clones start to pop roots, do you fill the bottom of your tray with some nutrient water or do you still leave just tap water ?

Capulator

Capulator

likes to smell trees.
Supporter
@Capulator Once your clones start to pop roots, do you fill the bottom of your tray with some nutrient water or do you still leave just tap water ?

I just leave tap. Once they pop roots they get hardened off and planted.

Capulator

Capulator

likes to smell trees.
Supporter
@Capulator How may days you leave on the Dome ?..Thanks :D

Depends on how long it takes to root. Once rooted I remove the dome to test for wilting. If they wilt I put the done back on. Don't walk away for too long when doing this because you coudl come back to plants that are beyond the wilting point and they will not come back. Usually when they have a bunch of roots they will not need the dome anymore. If they are poorly rooted or have like one little tap root sticking out they probably aren't ready. I will take a pic tomorrow to show you when is a good time to take the dome off.

oscar169

oscar169

Farming 🌱
Supporter
Depends on how long it takes to root. Once rooted I remove the dome to test for wilting. If they wilt I put the done back on. Don't walk away for too long when doing this because you coudl come back to plants that are beyond the wilting point and they will not come back. Usually when they have a bunch of roots they will not need the dome anymore. If they are poorly rooted or have like one little tap root sticking out they probably aren't ready. I will take a pic tomorrow to show you when is a good time to take the dome off.
Thanks Bro..:)

stonestacker

stonestacker

Yeah man have you seen the new grosens? http://www.grodan.com/files/Grodan/Marketing material/UK/GroSens/GRODAN131403 Brochure GroSens EN.pdf
It is a probe that will sense moisture and EC levels in the wool so you can water accordingly. Pretty cool I am gonna pick one up soon.

Great read and ty @Capulator .I keep coming back every couple months.

Did you ever try this grosens ? How did you like it?

TY.

C

Chance Last

AWESOME POST FOR SURE! USING 4 INCH RW CUBES ON TOP OF 3 FOOT SLABS. 1 PLANT PER SLAB;) THIS WAS A PERFECT READ FOR ME AND RIGHT ON TIME! THX MAN

Top Bottom