Green budder? Why?

• Thread starter Steve Gray
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
SodaLicious

SodaLicious

Green comes from chlorophyll, which is held in place in the plant by chlorophyll water soluble binding proteins (WSCP). These proteins are soluble in water, mildly soluble in alcohol, and insoluble in non polar solvents.

Butane is non polar, but will still absorb up to 32 ml/liter water, which can break down these proteins and expose the chlorophyll to be transported away in the form of micelle.

Ostensibly, the ability of a non polar solvent to transport these micelle, is proportional to the amount of water that it has picked up, as the water is doing the transporting.

I sometimes pick up a light electric green hue extracting with butane, but never a dark green. The amount of green appears to be influenced by the water content of the starting material, temperature, and soak time, as well as how many leaf margins are broken, so as to expose the chlorophyll binding proteins to water. Finely ground material exposes more margins, and extracts more chlorophyll.

PS: Filtration can influence green pick up too, from suspended particles.

you are right that butane is non-polar. But the butane you are using to do extracts isn't pure butane. depending on brand it can have anything from propane to isopropyl mixed with it.

Graywolf

Graywolf

Propane is also non-polar and does a good extraction job as well. It is usually added as a propellant, as butane looses pressure at low temperatures.

I've never seen isopropyl alcohol mixed with butane, sold for anything. May I ask where you've seen it is used?

Classic Remix

Classic Remix

its my "logical thought" that more ground up means more trichomes being able to get moved and sifted?

YES, it may bring more unwanted color or trash into my oil, but wouldnt it STILL potentially give me more trichs?

im not concerned about green material, i smoke the weed. Im more concerned about getting all of my needed oils.

or

I'd rather have some green in my mix and all the oils than some of the oils and no green. ?

i finely chop all my oil runs, and have yet to have a green batch. maybe im just using a good screen? who knows.

it works, im not fixin it! LOL.

doesnt most butane have like 10% propane? ive seen some with gnar numbers, but like vector and other fine dealers of the shit

Steve Gray

Steve Gray

the run i just did i ran 6 grams of some flame and got a .7 of a very nice yellow golden budder. it is probably the most fire batch ive made. the others were green were .9 and 1.1. from these results i see that griding up the bud does get u a little bit more oil. however, i do not know if the chlorophyll affects the potency of the oil. also, the chlorophyll might just be coming from too much butane being ran. for my next extraction im gunna run the bud finely ground up and try to use the right amount of butane.

jump

jump

Green comes from chlorophyll, which is held in place in the plant by chlorophyll water soluble binding proteins (WSCP). These proteins are soluble in water, mildly soluble in alcohol, and insoluble in non polar solvents.

Butane is non polar, but will still absorb up to 32 ml/liter water, which can break down these proteins and expose the chlorophyll to be transported away in the form of micelle.

Ostensibly, the ability of a non polar solvent to transport these micelle, is proportional to the amount of water that it has picked up, as the water is doing the transporting.

I sometimes pick up a light electric green hue extracting with butane, but never a dark green. The amount of green appears to be influenced by the water content of the starting material, temperature, and soak time, as well as how many leaf margins are broken, so as to expose the chlorophyll binding proteins to water. Finely ground material exposes more margins, and extracts more chlorophyll.

PS: Filtration can influence green pick up too, from suspended particles.

Green algae successfully maintain chlorophyll in their chloroplasts despite the constant action of salt water.
Salt water does not dissolve the chlorophyll (Chl)-binding proteins because they are not soluble in water.
For the same reason, the rain did not wash away the chlorophyll from the leaves of land plants.
1be1ab8f29ac.jpg

Water-soluble proteins were found only in a few plants families, but not in cannabis.

Judging by the links you assume that the water dissolves or weakens the attachment of grains of chlorophyll within the chloroplast?

But even in these articles they write that the membranes are hydrophobic and water-soluble proteins are rare.

All chlorophyll (Chl)-binding proteins involved in photosynthesis of higher plants are hydrophobic membrane proteins integrated into the thylakoids. However, a different category of Chl-binding proteins, the so-called water-soluble Chl proteins (WSCPs), was found in members of the Brassicaceae, Polygonaceae, Chenopodiaceae, and Amaranthaceae families.

Perhaps the cause of the green color of the extract should be sought elsewhere.

Graywolf

Graywolf

Green algae successfully maintain chlorophyll in their chloroplasts despite the constant action of salt water.
Salt water does not dissolve the chlorophyll (Chl)-binding proteins because they are not soluble in water.
For the same reason, the rain did not wash away the chlorophyll from the leaves of land plants.
1be1ab8f29ac.jpg

Water-soluble proteins were found only in a few plants families, but not in cannabis.

Perhaps the cause of the green color of the extract should be sought elsewhere.

Ummmm, what binds the chlorophyll in cannabis?

I am under the impression that all chlorophyll producing plants, also produce chlorophyll binding proteins, though the phenomenom has only been studied in a few plants.

joshadelph

joshadelph

Too much chlorophyl, use better starting material. Try to only use buds, little bud snippets, and if you HAVE to use trim make sure it is the closet possible trim. Try to avoid the "budder" as well, as it is just trapped air, butane, and water and is not the best for your health.

Top Bottom