green stuff growing on media

• Thread starter hellaouts
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
hellaouts

hellaouts

I used Grodan 2" AOK starter plugs for the first time and I'm seeing some green funk starting to fuzz up on top of my media. I wana say it's the cubes causing it cuz I've never had this problem with this particular media,Sunshine advanced before. Anybody out there see this before. Plants look nice took off dome put cubes in cups then one gals a week ago they will be ready to transplant again to 3 gals soon but now I have some ground cover. Should I just shit can them and start over?

SmokeyPipes

SmokeyPipes

It's probably just some algae,and may be a sign of overwatering and too much moisture! Are these outside?

hellaouts

hellaouts

It's probably just some algae,and may be a sign of overwatering and too much moisture! Are these outside?
No there inside under T5's. The only water I gave them was about a Lt per pot at transplant on the 20th of this month and again two days ago when they was dry

baba G

baba G

bean sprouts are tasty
Welcome to the wonderful world of rockwool, if you keep it moist and light hits it and your feeding it, boom, you get Algae rapidly. If you look it up there are a few products people recommend to beat that algae...

Bubblehaze

Bubblehaze

I had the same problem with the Groudan doing that. Its only green algae its harmless but I still don't like it. Yes its from keeping the top to wet. I found that if you cover the exposed tops of the containers before the algae grows it will help prevent it. Covering it after made it turn black and look worse. Let it dry completely on top and then cover or just pull the top layer off and replace with new if using the chunks.

Unit541

Unit541

Water the roots, not the rockwool. Couple of drops H2O2 directly on the algae will have it gone quickly. After that, keep the top dry at all times.

ethnoman

ethnoman

Like others have sad, it would be algae, which in itself is harmless. It can be an indicator for other problems (read: too wet), but this isn't always the case.

outwest

outwest

Premium Gardener
Supporter
I've got algae growing on the surface of some FF Light Warrior I'm using for seedlings. Is this a worry?

outwest

Unit541

Unit541

I've never been concerned with algae, however I have little tolerance for it. For anyone who wishes to get rid of algae, its quite simple. Algae happens where two things get together: Light and moisture. To get rid of your algae, simply remove one. For me, keeping my containers covered is a pain the butt, so I manage the moisture. In my setup it's easy, I simply ensure my emitters are buried deep enough that no media that is exposed to light, is exposed to moisture. For those that want a number, my top-feed discharges 3 inches below the surface. For seedlings and rooted clones I water sub-surface using a marinade syringe.

accent

accent

imo algae is nothing to worry about. it is harmless, simply existing because the conditions are right for it. it is not pathogenic and therefore does not harm your plants in any way.

Capulator

Capulator

likes to smell trees.
Supporter
algae attracts fungus gnats. put a plastic cover over the media to block the light.

Thoth

Thoth

Is it the algae that attracts gnats, or the conditions which algae thrives in? I would think the latter, though the gnat larvae probably do eat the algae too.

Capulator

Capulator

likes to smell trees.
Supporter
Is it the algae that attracts gnats, or the conditions which algae thrives in? I would think the latter, though the gnat larvae probably do eat the algae too.

check out the second quick fact of this link

outwest

outwest

Premium Gardener
Supporter
Thanks, Cap. Don't need to be feeding the fuckers. I'm repotting all my seedlings tomorrow.

outwest

jyip

jyip

ya, eff that algae! i go the other and remove the light,,,i use a 5 gal and a1 gal pot and cut circles of each shape, then i use the 1 gal and cut the cneters out of the 5gal size, and then,,,,,, i put a pandafilm cutoff white up on top of each hydroton filled pot and then i pull one on the these 5 gal donuts up around the 1 gal pot so it looks like a up side down top hat abe lincoln sytle,, this gives the 1 gal pots about a 3 inch white lip around it and enought to block the light out down low,, if neededi then cut 6 inch wide strips and run these between the rows of plants,, RESULTS are no algae and 8-10 degree cooler root zone too,,, i think it is a nice plus towards budding enrgy not wasted feeding algae

pEACE
jyip

S

StonerB

Im voting algae. Yes covering before is the way to go and yes if you cover after it turns black. Most clones , seeds whatever dont really put roots up into the top 1/8 inch of the block so if you catch it after it has started use a scalpel to CAREFULLY remove the infected layer, then cover it to prevent future outbreaks. If the plants are older H2O2 can be helpful but in a 2 in. starter cube I would not as it may burn the fragile new roots. Whatever you do fix it fast because although true the growth itself is not a huge harm this stuff is like candy to fungus gnats and nobody wants bugs.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Welcome to the wonderful world of rockwool, if you keep it moist and light hits it and your feeding it, boom, you get Algae rapidly. If you look it up there are a few products people recommend to beat that algae...
Not just RW, my friend. I currently have microalgal growth going on my peat plugs, I've seen it on soil, a whole bunch of other places where you have water+light.

Top Bottom