Greenhouse next door has russet mites....

• Thread starter Greenhouse G
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
G

Greenhouse G

Hello! I'm new this site but have read around a bit and appreciate everyone's passion and expertise. We just discovered that our neighbor has a significant russet mite problem in his greenhouse, and it's very close to ours. People have been in the infected one and in ours, though not very much. There is no signs at all on our plants at this point, but i'm wondering how concerned we should be of contracting the problem; from what i've heard it's a very bad thing to deal with! Prior to today i've never even heard of the things, but apparently there are problems all around our valley.

We are lucky to have never dealt with any pest problems in our scene, and hope to keep it that way. Thanks for any advice you might have to share.

way2green

way2green

Check out caregiverKen's thread on russet mites. Great info. All mites suck but russet mites are supposed to be horrible. Also check out Capulator's products.
Good luck....

caregiverken

caregiverken

Fear Not!
Supporter
Welcome to the farm G
Ive been told to get some Conserve SC , It's Strong Spinosad
Farmers are telling me it will kill russets
You need to spray for caterpillars anyway, right?
Best of luck to you!

Coir

Coir

If it was my greenhouse, I would be ordering these guys immediately: and placing a bag on every plant as a preventative. The slow release bags will last 4-6 weeks and these mites will eat just about anything including russet mites. No sprays or chemicals needed!

We Solidarity

We Solidarity

Just pretend you've got them and start treating anyway. They're so tiny a fart could blow them across a room so best to just start treating now...

I beat them alternating oil-based sprays and water, two-three days of water (I was using a hose with a sprayer attachment...literally making it RAIN) followed by a light oil spray. For two weeks. Pesticides will work too if you're into that thing, as will predator mites (however I'd do some serious treatments prior and then let the predators have their way...and I wouldn't use predators in flower...bugs in the nugs are still bugs in the nugs...poop and all...

G

Greenhouse G

I've never sprayed anything on my plants in many years of successful growing, so this is not good news, although from what i've heard here i'm not surprised that this is the advice i'm hearing. We have some plants well into their flowering cycle and the thought of putting anything on them is not a savory one. I would be more into treating the ones that have no flowers yet.

Thanks for your input, we're gonna evaluate the whole situation tomorrow and decide what to do. We're not a hundred percent sure that the infestation is real, but from what i've seen here I feel pretty convinced that this might be a worst case scenario. Meanwhile there have been no signs at all in our scene, but there is at least a small chance of cross contamination for sure.

I appreciate your responses!

G

Greenhouse G

Ack! Mites identified. Well, I suppose the war is on now. Definitely in some of our lower branches. Time to do more research and get on it, our plants are big and vital, and I think we can get the upper hand with some work.

G

Greenhouse G

Things are pretty bad in our neighbor's g-house, not so bad in ours. He did a sulfur treatment last night, some kind of burner (I haven't seen it yet), and says he cannot find a live mite on his plants now. If so that's amazing, there must be millions on his. I'm feeling pretty freaked out but apparently people around here are having good results with certain types of treatments, which is surprising considering some of what i've read.

Our greenhouse is large and very full. I can't imagine treating everything thoroughly without some kind of gassing situation. Wish us luck with our sulfur and other techniques!

caregiverken

caregiverken

Fear Not!
Supporter
I have big plants in a GH They were infested pretty bad, but I have them under control now
But I have read the Horror stories from indoor guys
So, I not claiming i rid myself of them..just managing them now
GH829
Our greenhouse is large and very full. I can't imagine treating everything thoroughly without some kind of gassing situation. Wish us luck with our sulfur and other techniques!
I wish you the best of luck! lots are outdoor farmers are controlling them
The Way you spray is very important, You need to have really good coverage,unless you go systemic or semi-systemic like avid. But even the makers of avid say, Use several methods!
But dont mix oils with the sulpher treaments!

The Terps

The Terps

forbid tm works to kill them but if you are looking for somethimg organic big time exterminator works pretty well! you need a scope to see them though60x

G

Greenhouse G

Caregiverken, real glad to hear you are on top of your pests! I learned a lot reading through you thread this summer; it inspired me to make this one.

I'm spending a lot of time with a scope in our g-house. The first sulphur treatment seems about 70% effective, going to keep up with that method and integrate some other options as well within the next couple of days. These critters are depressing, but hearing that others have had success is very encouraging.

We're only in the beginning of our battle here, but our friend who loaned us the sulphur burners completely (or so he says) eradicated them by doing the burn every night for a couple of weeks. Apparently he did this last year too, for other reasons, right up until a week before harvest, with no taste issues. I haven't confirmed this myself, but I have known this person for fifteen years and they care very much about the quality of their herb. I have read that some russet mites are not as affected by this technique, but so far we seem to be having luck. The person in town who spread these around is swearing by rosemary oil too, although I can't see how that could be used durng flowering.

Our greenhouse is very full and many of the plants are 10-12" tall, so spraying and other by-hand applications will be incredibly time consuming and perhaps impossible to be thorough with. We're going to give it our all, however, and we are fairly early in catching it, there is almost no visible damage, although I can find mites on healthy buds and leaves already. The plants that are way worse in the next door greenhouse seem to have way less mites on them, it is as if they ate everything and moved on to ours! We have a lot, lot more to lose and thankfully our neighbor has been very helpful with information and helping us with our situation. Updates to follow...

G

Greenhouse G

I am not finding any information online yet about the way that we are using our sulfur burner, with no exhaust. The person who recommended this technique, and who has used it successfully, is working on the idea that we are suffocating the mites by using the sulfur vapor. I'm not sure if that is actually what is happening, and i'm going to continue researching. All I know is that after one night (run from 12am to 4am) our neighbors greenhouse is showing a 99% killoff of mites. Obviously this will need to be repeated to deal with hatching mites, but if this is really a viable technique then we are really on to something here.

We will be very careful with sulfur fumes and also not to flavor our flowers. Ok, back to work I go!

Best wishes to all dealing with this problem. Apparantely here in CO it has become an epidemic, and i've heard huge numbers of people are fighting these little terrors.

K

kolah

Since you are growing in a GH it may be possible to seal things up and get the inside temps superhot to kill them off. But first you;ll have to see what temps could possibly kill them...and the eggs.

I have very good success doing this in my GH and eradicated cyclamen and broad mites. I got my GH temps up to 120 F, for 3 hours, every other day for 3 treatments. You may want to work with your neighbor as well to come up with a solution. Good luck. ;)

Top Bottom