Greenhouse Siting Question

• Thread starter dorjewright
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
dorjewright

dorjewright

The most private spot for my greenhouse gets full sun early morning to about 1pm. The least private spot full sun. I'm on the Bay Area coast and its cool here all the time but a greenhouse can get plenty hot. I'm hoping to make up for the loss of direct sun with trapped heat for the afternoon. I'm not trying to make a killing just want 5 to 10 lbs of quality bud from 12 plants. Will the lack of afternoon sun seriously effect my yield?

Chobble

Chobble

Less moles to your plants = Less Yield, end of story. Moles are the amount of light you get per day per meter squared.

In Winter we get about 5 moles a day, while in summer we get 30. If your planning on growing through winter your going to need supplemental lighting and most likely a heater along with a dehumidifier.

In Summer, I would Open up the vents till about 1 PM then close em up when the sun drifts off. Partial sun will never be as good as Full sun, but if you do it right you should still get some quality bud out of the plants.

Greenhouses are indoor grow rooms that dont always use artificial light..

Chobble

Amber

Amber

Absolutely will effect yield. I would go for the full sun. I end up supplementing my greenhouse with lights to achieve six hours of sun. Plus towards the end of summer when I am wanting lots of ripening sunshine I actually get less and less as the suns position relative to my greenhouse changes. Without the lights I would not have a true ripen at all.

caregiverken

caregiverken

Fear Not!
Supporter
good info chobblle and amber...thanks :)

I gotta quit messing with the clfs and Put a 1K MH out in the GH :D
Gonna need a Fat extention cord;)

drbombay

drbombay

get the best light you can. frosted glazing is a <10 loss in transmission. milky white on the inside can be a bit overwhelming. too much heat is pretty easy to vent. max heat gain is lattitude plus 10 deg. (glazing pitch on roof) sunken pits can help with lowering the profile and moderating the temp. really each site is unique. but so much works. have fun. you will be out there more than you think

Amber

Amber

good info chobblle and amber...thanks :)

I gotta quit messing with the clfs and Put a 1K MH out in the GH :D
Gonna need a Fat extention cord;)

Thats a grand plan and a MH can warm a greenhouse up quite well. Plus its not nearly as expensive as it sounds considering you only need to have it on a little while in the morning and a little in the evening for the extension of the hours.
Greenhouse set up pics   20

I have a hard time having lights laying around that are not being used. So skipped the extension cord and put the electrician on it. Now I have a sub panel.:p

caregiverken

caregiverken

Fear Not!
Supporter
Thats a grand plan and a MH can warm a greenhouse up quite well. Plus its not nearly as expensive as it sounds considering you only need to have it on a little while in the morning and a little in the evening for the extension of the hours.
View attachment 282496
I have a hard time having lights laying around that are not being used. So skipped the extension cord and put the electrician on it. Now I have a sub panel.:p

:eek::eek: wow!!!

Awesome!!!
Very cool set up!

Yeah, Gotta get a panel next year for sure

dorjewright

dorjewright

Thanks for all the input! I'll think I'll end up with a site where i get early am sun to 1 or 2 pm. That's 6 hrs direct sun. The up side is an early drying out, hopefully helping with the mold issues.

Latest posts

Top Bottom