Greenwood Village bans possession, use of legal marijuana.

• Thread starter chickenman
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
chickenman

chickenman

Premium Member
Supporter
An ordinance passed last month in Greenwood Village is poised to become a test case for how far cities can go to keep marijuana out of their communities after legalization.
In early January, the Greenwood Village City Council voted to ban use, possession and transportation of marijuana on city property. That is not so unusual, as numerous cities and counties have restricted marijuana after the passage of Amendment 64.
Here's the catch, though: The Greenwood Village ordinance defines city property to include all the public streets and sidewalks in the city. That makes it illegal even to drive through the city with an otherwise legal amount of marijuana in the car.
Because residents can't bring marijuana to their homes, the only way legally to possess marijuana in Greenwood Village is to grow it — and the City Council is expected to pass an ordinance soon that places strict controls on growing at home to address concerns about mold and fire hazards.
Greenwood Village City Attorney Tonya Haas Davidson said the ban is allowed under the marijuana-legalization law, which says "an entity who occupies, owns or controls property" can prohibit marijuana on that property.
"We own public property," she said. "So we just wrote the most restrictive ordinance we could."
But Brian Vicente, one of the authors of Amendment 64, said that interpretation will land Greenwood Village in court. He said streets and sidewalks aren't so much government property as public places where people should be able to exercise constitutional liberties.
"What they've done is invite inevitable, costly litigation," Vicente said. "This is a direct violation of the state constitution."
Amendment 64 legalizes use and possession of up to an ounce of marijuana for people 21 and older. It also allows for retail marijuana sales, although pot shops won't open for about another 11 months.
Cities can ban marijuana businesses. According to the Colorado Municipal League, at least 15 cities, including Greenwood Village, have passed ordinances either banning the businesses or placing a moratorium on them. Cities can also regulate marijuana through zoning restrictions.
But no city in Colorado has gone as far as the Greenwood Village ordinance in seeking to keep pot out.
City Council member Leslie Schluter, who sponsored the ordinance, said the city's residents did not support Amendment 64 and said their government should respect that.
"I think (marijuana) is a major threat to the welfare of especially our children," Schluter said during a hearing on the ordinance last month. "You can't do this without making it more acceptable to those who are under age."
Jerry Presley was one of two council members who voted against the ordinance, saying the city shouldn't override the will of the state's voters.
"Any common-sense reading of Amendment 64 would say that the people, when they voted for it, did not believe the transport of marijuana on city streets should be illegal," said Presley, who didn't support Amendment 64.
The ordinance makes it a municipal violation to possess marijuana on city streets, sidewalks, parks, trails and government buildings. Haas Davidson, the city attorney, said police will have a light hand in enforcing it.
"We're not going to stop people or do traffic checks." she said.
John Ingold: 303-954-1068, [email protected] or twitter.com/john_ingold
Read The Denver Post's Terms of Use of its content: http://www.denverpost.com/termsofuse

K

kolah

A perfect op to become active, ....get council people out and run for these positions.

Pass out flyers showing cannabis safety and it's many benefits.

CANNABIS, Safer than alcohol.

chickenman

chickenman

Premium Member
Supporter
If the residents had any sense they should be appaled. Bah Bah Bah sheeple

chickenman

chickenman

Premium Member
Supporter
Cory should get a bunch of folks possessing a joint or two in public and inform cops and have them busted and see how far they take this. It will cost the city big time then lets see how the public reacts to a huge cost to enforce....

fishwhistle

fishwhistle

Same types of things happening in cali with cities trying to make their own rules in defiance of state laws,really not legal but in a way its just like states making laws in defiance of federal law.The trend here is when the city gets no love in the state court or they are advised they will lose they contact the feds/dea and ask for help,then everything gets fubar'ed.
We have to continue the fight to get this substance decriminalized/rescheduled federally or we will continue to face prosecution/persecution.Shit just doesnt work with so many laws contradicting each other,confusion reigns.

baba G

baba G

bean sprouts are tasty
It's crazy, the state passed it. These NIMBY folks need to stop imposing their morals on people. If she is so worried about the children lets start with education/food and pharmaceutical drugs!!!

They will lose so much money out of the city coughers and you'll see how great this is for tearing about and dividing small towns...

baba G

baba G

bean sprouts are tasty
Maybe parents should take more time to raise their children and teach them the differences between drugs and the dangers/precautions to take.

baba G

baba G

bean sprouts are tasty
Again, how many people died from medicinal cannabis use last year????

How many from legal pharmaceutical drugs that insurance pays for...?? Shitloads!!

Mogrow

Mogrow

Leslie Schlute, ""I think (marijuana) is a major threat to the welfare of especially our children".
what really???, and booze and narcos aren't ??? better "ban" those too leslie, mind as well ban some books while you're at it you facist cunt bitch piece of shit....
people in greenwood need to run people like this off their city council...

Delta-9 Labs

Delta-9 Labs

Breeder
Supporter
Leslie Schlute and others!, Please stop talking out of your asses!

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
A perfect op to become active, ....get council people out and run for these positions.

Pass out flyers showing cannabis safety and it's many benefits.

CANNABIS, Safer than alcohol.
Perhaps, but then, you know what that would make that person, yes?

It's called a 'politician.'

I'm curious about the demographic, how the residents actually voted on 64, and how many districts (council members) there were total. By that I mean to get at a percentage those two opposing votes comprise, and same with the residents of GV.

sky high

sky high

I looked around a bit for ya, sea....could only find statements by the council folks saying "a majority" of residents voted against 64 rather than any hard numbers.

Either way...it doesn't matter. This right is in our State Constitution and no town/county/etc. in Colorado can opt out or prohibit it's citizens from engaging in such a right.

I do like their new sign though
GV Logo

squiggly

squiggly

The real tragedy is that, as one of the people in the article stated, all this really does in the end is cost the taxpayers and legitimate interest groups (who only want to protect settled and signed law) shitdickloads of money.

It's a totally frivolous action which is devoid of any legitimate state interest.

In other words, it's a bunch of bullshit.

I wouldn't be the least bit surprised to find republicans behind this (though I do recognize this is one issue where both parties are fairly ignorant).

K

kolah

I am not opposed to politicians or government for that matter. I am opposed to BAD government and BAD politicians.

FiveAM

FiveAM

It's crazy, the state passed it. These NIMBY folks need to stop imposing their morals on people. If she is so worried about the children lets start with education/food and pharmaceutical drugs!!!

They will lose so much money out of the city coughers and you'll see how great this is for tearing about and dividing small towns...

Not to mention all the ADHD drugs they have all these kids on these days, I'm pretty confident pot would do a lot less harm then those drugs ultimately do in the end.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I looked around a bit for ya, sea....could only find statements by the council folks saying "a majority" of residents voted against 64 rather than any hard numbers.

Either way...it doesn't matter. This right is in our State Constitution and no town/county/etc. in Colorado can opt out or prohibit it's citizens from engaging in such a right.

I do like their new sign though View attachment 288098
Interesting. So, out here in California our state Supreme court is upholding the right of localities (counties, cities) to ban dispensaries and that can possibly be translated to cooperative growing arrangements.

Hashing it out in the courts is often the goal. Or, sit and wait for it to be hashed out.

sky high

sky high

Sea....

The counties/cities/munis here have the right and power to ban all >commercial< MJ/MMJ businesses under HB1284 and A64.... but they have no power to ban individual use/grows/possession under either law. Greenwood Village banned any/all commercial uses in a previous ordinance/ruling immediately after (or maybe even before?) Amendment 64 was signed by Hickenlooper....but now they are trying to ban individual use....something they do not have the legal right to do whatsoever.

fuckin clowns

fishwhistle

fishwhistle

Interesting. So, out here in California our state Supreme court is upholding the right of localities (counties, cities) to ban dispensaries and that can possibly be translated to cooperative growing arrangements.

I dont think the court has reached any determination in the cali case yet sea,the decision will come in the next 90 days,this story tells the tale:

Colorado is a bit different like sky points out as its your right under the state constitution to use there if you so choose.
Of course federally its all a moot point,lol.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Fish, I love sittin' and I love waitin', but that never got things done. ;)

Top Bottom