Greetings Cultivators - My First Go at Grow

• Thread starter SweetLeafGrow
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
SweetLeafGrow

SweetLeafGrow

Update - 8/4

Today marks day one of week 8! Whoohoo, we're ridin on the downhill slope.

So far so good. Since last weeks feeding, all I have given the plants is distilled water and 1 tbsp molasses per gallon. It's been interesting because for the entire grow, I have had to water them all together. Starting about 10 days ago, they all started wanting water at different times. I water strictly by the lift the pot method and so when they haven't needed water, I don't give, even if it breaks my watering routine!

Anywho, the flowers continue to slowly bulk up and some of the bigger colas are starting to form as one long flower. Super cool. The two plants in back look like they will be the biggest yielders and I wonder if they being a bit further from the light contributed to that. It would have been difficult at best to boost them up with a stool after the stretch since they were all entwined in the trellis nets. Those things are cool but they do have their drawbacks I am learning. I had the canopy fairly even at 12/12 flip and the two in the back just stretched way further than the two in front.

After the last feeding when I gave 1/4 cup of fishbone meal, I was a bit worried that it might have been too much, but so far, it does not seem to have any obvious negative effects. I had been hoping for bigger fatter flowers and trying to do what I could to that end. If it helped, not sure, but it doesn't look like it did any harm.

So GG#4 us supposed to finish in 8-9 weeks. A week from today will be the first day of week 9 so will be paying close attention to trichs. I did get a jewelers loupe that I am getting better at using. I have seen some of the flowers have a small number of amber trichs on some of the sugar leaves. From what I can tell with my untrained eye, it's still a mix of clear and cloudin on the buds themselves. Got a couple of photos through the loupe but not the best.

Onward to week 8!

IMG 0652
IMG 0653
IMG 0654
IMG 0655
IMG 0656
IMG 0657
IMG 0658
IMG 0659
Panhead59

Panhead59

I'M right ahead of you, also on my 1st grow. Mid wk 9 of flower. I Have been keeping up on your experience. Boy what a learning curve, huh !!!!??? I never would've imagined that growing a darn week would be so.....involved/tasking. Anyway, forget about trichs on leaves. Irrelevant from what I've read. Only look at buds themselves. I did buy the handheld scope like you and also got the digital one that uses your phone as the viewing screen. It's more precise at up to 2k times magnification, but difficult to use. Good with "trial bud" on desk, but hard to hold over plant, focus and not knock off phone from scrog "frame". I had to chop one of mine early 'cuzz i prolonged watering one time around 5th wk of flower. All leaves died but i let it go till wk 7 because it was still alive. Got 5 oz. Off it but it's cbd weed (ac/dc). Good to learn on anyway. 1 more of those and a white widow survived. Waiting for some cooper trichs now. It went from almost all clear to almost all white/cloudy in 24-36 hrs. That surprised me ! Your plants look great ! I starved mine i think, outta fear of burnin' them up. Many lessons learned. Goid luck, you got it made now. Don't chop early, it happens fast ! Now we gotta learn drying and curing !!!! IT'S FUN THOUGH, I AIN'T COMPLAINING !!!

Last edited:
SweetLeafGrow

SweetLeafGrow

I'M right ahead of you, also on my 1st grow. Mid wk 9 of flower. I Have been keeping up on your experience. Boy what a learning curve, huh !!!!??? I never would've imagined that growing a darn week would be so.....involved/tasking. Anyway, forget about trichs on leaves. Irrelevant from what I've read. Only look at buds themselves. I did buy the handheld scope like you and also got the digital one that uses your phone as the viewing screen. It's more precise at up to 2k times magnification, but difficult to use. Good with "trial bud" on desk, but hard to hold over plant, focus and not knock off phone from scrog "frame". I had to chop one of mine early 'cuzz i prolonged watering one time around 5th wk of flower. All leaves died but i let it go till wk 7 because it was still alive. Got 5 oz. Off it but it's cbd weed (ac/dc). Good to learn on anyway. 1 more of those and a white widow survived. Waiting for some cooper trichs now. It went from almost all clear to almost all white/cloudy in 24-36 hrs. That surprised me ! Your plants look great ! I stRed mine i think, outta fear of burnin' them up. Many lessons learned. Goid luck, you got it made now. Don't chop early, it happens fast ! Now we gotta learn drying and curing !!!! IT'S FUN THOUGH, I AIN'T COMPLAINING !!!
I totally agree on everything you said there Bro. My wife and I were talking about how involved it really is and here I thought just plunk some seeds in dirt and water. 😂

Dang I was hoping to get 4oz per plant, 5 is stellar even under great conditions and you did it in less than great. Nice work!

Indeed it's been fun. I'll be watching you as you finish yours!

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

I totally agree on everything you said there Bro. My wife and I were talking about how involved it really is and here I thought just plunk some seeds in dirt and water. 😂

Dang I was hoping to get 4oz per plant, 5 is stellar even under great conditions and you did it in less than great. Nice work!

Indeed it's been fun. I'll be watching you as you finish yours!
Yes, it's a lot more involved than tossing seeds into the dirt and adding water ... Regardless, it's worth the time and effort.

My wife has begun to pick up the hobby and she's been a tremendous help my last few grows. She just got done picking some seeds out to get started this weekend. She chose Reserva Privada's Skywalker Kush and "Bulk Seed Bank's" Sour diesel from my seed collection. She made a great choice I think ...

I think it's great when our spouses/significant others get involved in the cultivation process.

SweetLeafGrow

SweetLeafGrow

Update 8-11

Today marks day one of week 9! Breeder says this strain, Gorilla Glue #4 is ready in 8-9 weeks. I am glad it's going a bit longer than 8 because the flowers are still growing and filling out nicely.

The two tall plants in the back row are showing some awesome fall colors. I have been very impressed with the "Problem Child", back row on the left. This plant had been unhealthy from the beginning and had issues with cal/mag deficiency early, but has she ever performed down the stretch! Several very nice beefy buds and some beautiful color beginning to come out. It's hard to photograph but there are hints of purple here and there and the fan leaves on the buds are turning a beautiful copper/bronze hue.

It's interesting the different pheno's that have emerged, they are all slightly different in several ways. Even the flowers have looked different in many ways.

Anywho, I cut off all feedings and have been giving straight distilled water. I have also been adding about a cup of the well water, which when tested for ppm afterward, gave me about 130 ppm. This I figure will give a smaller dose of cal/mag since I am not adding that anymore, but was advised to give some and not cut it all the way out. I am also adding a Tbsp on molasses per gallon when I water. They have definitely slowed down on water intake, but not stopped altogether.

I have studied this thread to figure out how to bring this grow to a close-

I have been monitoring the trichs, but also the other things in that article such as water intake, continued growth, pistols color, etc. None of them are ready at the end of week 8 to harvest yet, but we are getting close. 3 out of the 4 plants still have some clear trichs, although most are cloudy. Not a lot of amber on these three. However, the plant on the front row on the left is starting to show some amber trichs on the buds, not many, but they are starting. I thought I might chop her today, but so far they are not ready. This one has also slowed way down on water but I watered, probably for the last time yesterday. From the looks of things this morning, I am guessing she may come down tomorrow or the next day. The other 3 are still taking in water and putting out some new pistols here and there. I am guessing they will at least go another week longer.

So, onward to the uncharted territory of week 9 and beyond!

IMG 0606
IMG 0607
IMG 0608
IMG 0609
IMG 0610
IMG 0611
IMG 0612
IMG 0613
IMG 0614
SweetLeafGrow

SweetLeafGrow

Update- Wednesday 8/18/21

Today marks day one of week 10 of my grow! According to the breeder, the Gorilla Glue #4 finish in 8-9 weeks. Two of the plants finished and were ready 3 days into week 9 but the other two are still going strong and putting on weight. I started a new job so I have not had as much time to document this grow but things are chugging right along.

I harvested the two that were ready and did a wet trim on them. They are hanging with a fan circulating the air. I did not get as much as I had hoped for as far as my estimates, but we'll see when they finish drying and I have had a chance to weigh them up. I am guessing I will get around 2 oz per plant. A bit disappointing mainly because I am making myself a cancer treatment and I need about a pound to make that much RSO. That said, I am pretty pleased for my first grow and now knowing how much goes into cultivating these beautiful flowers.

65094450719  4E1458FD 532E 44F0 817E B13C17989118

Anyhow, giving the remainder two plants plain water with some molasses. They don't look to be finishing anytime soon, my guess is they are leaning toward the Sativa side of the hybrid and just going to take a week or two longer. One of them is getting some real nice fall colors, but it also looks like some foxtails forming??? I am not sure but from what I know, that's not a terrible thing. Thoughts?

IMG 0629
IMG 0630
IMG 0631
IMG 0632
IMG 0628
IMG 0627
IMG 0626

Schwer

Schwer

Supporter
Nicely done, my man. Looks like a good haul to me! Those fall colors are beautiful too.

That's pretty interesting about the differences in harvest time. Kinda makes me worried that I don't have a dedicated dry tent, heh

SweetLeafGrow

SweetLeafGrow

So I was curious if any of the experts have a clue what is going on with my grow. @Aqua Man @GNick55 @jguit @Scar818

I broke apart a couple of the lower flowers that I previously harvested from two of my four plants last week that had dried out to give a test. To my suprise, these small buds had seeds in them!

I have watched closely for any signs of hermie this whole time because I knew that GG#4 had a reputation for that, but I did not see anything closely resembling a nanner or anything other than pure fem on all 4 plants. I've posted lots of photos along the way and no one has seen anything either. I am still at a loss. The bigger buds from the plants I already chopped will be finished drying in a few more days so will be breaking one of those open soon to see what's inside. Perhaps I outa break one of them apart now just to see? One from each of the two plants?

My question is, looking at the latest photos I posted, do you see anything weird going on with those flowers? Do I assume the whole tent is seeded? They are past due the 8-9 week target harvest, which is fine, but if they look seeded, I wonder if I should chop now and cut my losses? Let em go to finish, if they even will finish when seeded? The one in the front on the right I had planned on taking down tomorrow afternoon but the one with the cool colors doesn't look ready at all yet. It's still putting on trichomes, drinking water, and most of the pistils are still white.

Thanks for any help ya'all!

jguit

jguit

Supporter
I'm far from an expert my friend but maybe someday. I see your buds are foxtailing a bit, not sure if it's heat or strain related but overall I think your plants look great. If a plant did go hermie there's nothing you can do at this point and I'd just ride it out as the damage is done. I had a hermie my last run and tried to pick all the nanners off. It sucks but what can you do? Luckily, I only wound up with a few slightly seeded lower buds but nothing too out of hand. Regardless, your first grow was a huge success!

SweetLeafGrow

SweetLeafGrow

I had a hermie my last run and tried to pick all the nanners off. It sucks but what can you do? Luckily, I only wound up with a few slightly seeded lower buds but nothing too out of hand.
That's a trip. I know these were some lower larfy buds so maybe they will be like yours. I just know I didn't see anything resembling a nanner. I may pop open a couple of the bigger tops tomorrow to see what is inside them before I cure.

ImpulsiveGrower

ImpulsiveGrower

Supporter
Update- Wednesday 8/18/21

Today marks day one of week 10 of my grow! According to the breeder, the Gorilla Glue #4 finish in 8-9 weeks. Two of the plants finished and were ready 3 days into week 9 but the other two are still going strong and putting on weight. I started a new job so I have not had as much time to document this grow but things are chugging right along.

I harvested the two that were ready and did a wet trim on them. They are hanging with a fan circulating the air. I did not get as much as I had hoped for as far as my estimates, but we'll see when they finish drying and I have had a chance to weigh them up. I am guessing I will get around 2 oz per plant. A bit disappointing mainly because I am making myself a cancer treatment and I need about a pound to make that much RSO. That said, I am pretty pleased for my first grow and now knowing how much goes into cultivating these beautiful flowers.

View attachment 1158799

Anyhow, giving the remainder two plants plain water with some molasses. They don't look to be finishing anytime soon, my guess is they are leaning toward the Sativa side of the hybrid and just going to take a week or two longer. One of them is getting some real nice fall colors, but it also looks like some foxtails forming??? I am not sure but from what I know, that's not a terrible thing. Thoughts?

View attachment 1158803View attachment 1158804View attachment 1158805View attachment 1158806View attachment 1158802View attachment 1158801View attachment 1158800
Looking frosty af!! I’m Forsure gonna check out the roots organics bloom booster too this next rip

DankNugz420

DankNugz420

Probly had nanners few weeks ago and they got engulfed in swollen bud since then. Ive had a few do that with the lower buds. Didn't know till I busted bud up to smoke and the nanners smack dab in the middle.
Still looks awesome tho bud!

SweetLeafGrow

SweetLeafGrow

Looking frosty af!! I’m Forsure gonna check out the roots organics bloom booster too this next rip
Thanks Bro and also for all your help and encouragement!

Probly had nanners few weeks ago and they got engulfed in swollen bud since then. Ive had a few do that with the lower buds. Didn't know till I busted bud up to smoke and the nanners smack dab in the middle.
Still looks awesome tho bud!
Interesting, yea it would have had to be on one of the lower flowers because the upper flowers I have kept a good eye on. The buds that had seeds are lower buds too, and I did break up one of the upper buds, not a main top, and it was seed free! Once everything is dry I will check a main flower and see what's inside.

Thanks Bro for the kind words, growing cannabis is such a fun thing to do.

SweetLeafGrow

SweetLeafGrow

OK, so I have not had much time to spend at the Farm lately, mainly because I started a new job, but I also started RSO cancer therapy so I have been sleeping a lot and resting.

This will be the final update on this, my very first Cannabis grow. The last plant finally finished with all her beautiful fall colors. Everything has been dried and is now in Grove bags curing. I did take out two ounces to make some RSO so I could get that started ASAP. The cancer symptoms have increasingly gotten worse and this harvest was almost perfect as far as when it happened vs. when I needed it. All in all, I netted about 10 ounces of nice trimmed bud and a couple of ounces of trim. I made some infused coconut oil with some of the trim and it's decent for pain and sleep.

As I mentioned in a previous post, I was surprised to find some seeds on some of the lower buds from the first two plants that were ready. I am happy to say I never did find the source of the hermie and the main buds seem to be seed free. All in all, I found about 7 mature seeds and several others that were not mature on lower flower sites.

As mentioned, I made some RSO from two ounces and was a bit disappointed at the amount of oil. It was about 6 grams where I was hoping for 8-10. I used Everclear as a solvent and through some study of the topic, seems to not be the best choice. I am doing another extraction very soon using 99.9% ISO alcohol, which I have read should get me a better yield of oil. Overall, the oil is very strong and has reduced my cancer symptoms down to nil

I have also started a new grow which I plan to get in a grow journal sometime soon. I've got three G-13 feminized/photo and one MotherLode feminized/photo sprouted and almost ready to be topped for the first time.

A BIG thank you to all those who shared advice, experience, knowledge, and encouragement with me during my first Cannabis grow. You all ROCK!

Schwer

Schwer

Supporter
Grats on the completion of your grow, my friend. Glad it made some quality meds for you and that the timing worked out.

Also, fuck cancer.

Top Bottom