greetings from UK newbie

• Thread starter jarvster
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
J

jarvster

Hello there,

Been thinking about becoming a farmer for some time but never had the space to do it, now I have the room to use - an old coal shed am going to give it a go.
i am trying to set this up on a limited budget.
The shed is 87" (7.2') in height x 58" (4.8')in length x 32" (2.6') wide.
Pictures will follow once I suss out how to upload them!
I painted it flat white and I put a curtain up just inside the door so it is light sealed even with the door open. Since the light needs to hang from a secure fixture I made a simple wooden support that is fixed from the ceiling and both walls and has 2 hooks fixed to the underside to hang the chains for the light.
Will be buying a 600W sylvania growlux setup which is (according to spec) suitable for veg and flowering - would appreciate any views on whether or not this is the case.
Bought a basic bathroom extraction fan and have installed it in the celing of my grow room (fan sits about half way acroos the room ie. in line with where the light will be positioned) and i have attached ducting to it which runs along the ceiling to the top of the door, down the hinged side of the door then through the curtain and connects to a vent attached to the door.
Will be using a soil mix.
potting soil.
building sand.
perlite.
a pre mix. (miracle gro - nitrogen 7%, Phosphorus 2.6%, Potassium 5.8% & magnesium 1.2%)
Any advice would be much appreciated.

Will be getting the decent seeds on order once i have the light setup.

at the moment I have some bagseed seeds that I germinated 2 weeks ago (just an experimet if you like) that have been sitting on the window sill during the day (9 hrs light) and in the airing cupboard at night (15 hrs dark). I know this is abstract and far from ideal but to be honest the seeds have been sat in a draw for over a year and i never really expected them to even grow.

Now that they have sprung to life I would like to try and use what i have to try and prolong their existence.
using my grow room (minus my planned 600w light) i have setup a simple cardboard box lid lined with aluminium foil, with 2 standard light fixings and have fitted 2 energy saving light bulbs which look like cfl's but are very weak, better than nothing tho im hoping!
Currently i have a timer that will switch the lights on - off at 18 / 6 and due to the current uk climate being rather chilly an electric heater (also on a timer) to keep things warm enough in there, will ahve to play with the timer to determine when the heater need to turned on and for how long etc.
I know all of this seems a bit vague and amatuerish but thats the whole point in asking for help right?
will try and upload some pic's tomorrow.
any comments will be hugely appreciated.
thanks.

cocoJoe

cocoJoe

Hi jarvster, you'll get the help you need here. Welcome to the farm! Peace and Stay Safe.

J

jarvster

thanks alot cocojoe, any advice will be really welcome.

Latest posts

Top Bottom