Grodan Cubes instead of Hydroton??

• Thread starter Casual
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
C

Casual

Ok, now that I've got my BioBucket grow squared away and running smoothly ( :whew ) I've started work on my buddies setup. We've got a three 4x4x6.5 tents setup and arranged. Room is tight, but should be doable. I'll take pics next time over... I completely forgot to take pics!

Anyway, my question is this... I've got the Ebb & Gro setups and I'm trying to make the best/easiest decision I can with the media. Hydroton is the 'Norm', but Sunleaves Rocks, and the Grodan Cubes (1/2"x1/2") look very promising.
Have any of you used either the 'Rocks' or 'Cubes' in an E&G setup, and if so, what were your results?
If anyone has opinions on this, I'd love to hear them. The Cubes seem to be cheap, and shipping is less due to the lighter weight. Sunleaves Rocks seem to be about the same as Hydroton, and both Hydroton and Rocks have high shipping due to weight.

Thanks for any advice guys!!

Caz

A

amstercal

A first run with the Grodan yielded some high runoff, surprising nute burn and even a little root rot. Difficult to say if was the Grodan to blame for any of it (and odds are probably not), but the plants were definitely not stable in the buckets with even 2 inches of hydroton at the bottom, and another layer of hydroton at the top is necessary to keep it from getting algae under the lights, unless yours are covered another way.

Top Bottom