Grove bag humidity is low

• Thread starter upnorthx
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
U

upnorthx

I may have overdried...13 days hanging in pretty ideal 60/60. Filled the grove bags 3 days ago and the humidity reads 52-58%. I put Boveda 62's in as well when I saw they were a bit dry. I've heard the % will rise given time, but it's still right where it was when I put it in. Any actions I could/should take?

Oldchucky

Oldchucky

Supporter
When I want to add a little moisture, I use those raw rehydrating medallions! Soaking distilled water and throw a couple into the Grove bag. And keep monitoring it. I favor just adding a little moisture at a time. It may take a week or two to raise it three or 4%. 58 isn’t bad. In lieu of the medallions. I think you can break up a terra-cotta pot. I don’t like throwing food in. Just two cents.

Redneckx

Redneckx

I may have overdried...13 days hanging in pretty ideal 60/60. Filled the grove bags 3 days ago and the humidity reads 52-58%. I put Boveda 62's in as well when I saw they were a bit dry. I've heard the % will rise given time, but it's still right where it was when I put it in. Any actions I could/should take?
Use mason jars to cure or to raise the humidity. With grove bags you can't raise the humidity even with boveda packs in it.

U

upnorthx

When I want to add a little moisture, I use those raw rehydrating medallions! Soaking distilled water and throw a couple into the Grove bag. And keep monitoring it. I favor just adding a little moisture at a time. It may take a week or two to raise it three or 4%. 58 isn’t bad. In lieu of the medallions. I think you can break up a terra-cotta pot. I don’t like throwing food in. Just two cents.
Thanks. I know some folks prefer the boveda 58’s, so I wasn’t that far off with most of it.

Redneckx

Redneckx

Thanks. I know some folks prefer the boveda 58’s, so I wasn’t that far off with most of it.
I didn't tried the 58's but got the 62's, they work good and bring the moisture to the level I prefer. 58 will be more crunchy.

Oldchucky

Oldchucky

Supporter
In my opinion, 62 is great for curing, but a little too wet to burn well. I think as long as you’re between 55 and 65 you will do all right! In my experience, if you use the Grove bags and don’t heat seal them, you will lose humidity in the long term! Maybe 10% in six months. I think it kind of depends on what environment they are stored in.

Last edited:
LoveGrowingIt

LoveGrowingIt

Supporter
I don't recommend using Grove bags for permanent or long-term storage. They're good for short-term curing, though. So, after drying, we cure for about six weeks in the Grove bags in a dark cabinet. Then we move the buds to Mason jars. The sealed jars don't raise or lower the humidity, but they do distribute it evenly.

Also, if you do use Mason jars, I recommend the wide-mouth type. Amber-colored glass is better than clear, as well, because it blocks out most light.

ACSippi

ACSippi

This is one example of many reasons I'm exposing myself. I just tired of yall failing when you're doing everything 'perfectly.'

Drying is one of the things I don't teach because it'll help cultivation business.

I'd like to teach so I could put businesses preying on us by selling us gimmics...out of business.

If there was something I could sell to help yall dry/cure/age weed I'd sell it. There is nothing.

Don't trust businesses selling drying products, they don't even grow weed. Don't trust influencers who grow crappy weed but are semi successful because help is a phone call away.

There's a reason us OGs have nothing to sell but knowledge...but who pays for that right? If I created an only fans telling ALL the secrets from before seed to three year old aged weed, no one's going to sign up because they can learn for free all over the place.

Redneckx

Redneckx

I don't recommend using Grove bags for permanent or long-term storage. They're good for short-term curing, though. So, after drying, we cure for about six weeks in the Grove bags in a dark cabinet. Then we move the buds to Mason jars. The sealed jars don't raise or lower the humidity, but they do distribute it evenly.

Also, if you do use Mason jars, I recommend the wide-mouth type. Amber-colored glass is better than clear, as well, because it blocks out most light.
All I ment is if you want to raise the humidity you take a mason jar and use boveda packs with more %rh.
It doesn't work with grove bags they lower the %Rh so it's working against the boveda packs that's what I recognized.

ACSippi

ACSippi

Learn the fundamentals and go do whatever experiment you want afterwards. Businesses don't know fundamentals, all most know is how to pump a mediocre product out. Why dry like them? Yall are trying to do their style. Ask people in legal states about the quality...

I'm trying to help without helping. Rethink drying/curing/aging. I'm not going to stop saying it till we turn this ship around.

Tip: drying/curing/aging isn't  all about drying/curing/aging. Confused? I know, and im sorry. Other things that you're not thinking about come into play.

Even I have...ahem...shit outcomes if I'm not careful. But not even gawd himself, could gurantee a perfect dry/cure/age without looking beyond the dry/cure/age. 💯

Either way, you're going to have something to smoke, if it's that horrible get you a press and make Rosin out of it or sift it for kief to make hash. You're homegrowing afterall...

Last edited:
mancorn

mancorn

The bags aren’t ideal to use with the Boveda as the whole point of the bag is to shed the excess moisture (being put out by the pack) and you’re kinda fighting yourself. Bring in a sealed jar the only place for the moisture to go is into your buds. That said, terps lost during drying aren’t coming back by increasing the moisture level, so I wouldn’t stress if you’re in the mid 50s. (Realistically if you’re using jars you don’t have a ton of weed, so just smoke it up! 😀)

Edit: Also, while I’m not sure of the science, the bag is supposed to be left with 25% empty space. So make sure you’re not packing to much into a bag.

Top Bottom