Grow in insulated apartment garage

• Thread starter drekevans
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
drekevans

drekevans

So I am wanting to start growing. Nothing major, just 1 or 2 plants at a time. I live in an apartment and would not grow in the apartment at all, but I do have an outside garage. The garage is uninsulated to my knowledge and has no windows. It does have power though. Would I be able to grow in the outside garage? I know proper ventilation would be ideal, but the only ventilation would be from the not so sealed garage door. And if so how would I deal with outside temperatures? I have attached a picture of the type of garage I'm talking about.

Stonegate apartments 034
Dabward

Dabward

Short answer It's possible. I built a 5x5 and a 6x9 in an uninsulated garage with a west facing garage door. In VA it's a steady 90° and 110 in the garage. So I did a lot of stuff you wouldn't otherwise do in an apartment garage. Mini splits and ceiling exhaust fan .. In what state or climate type is this. Makes a difference in the answer..

20210709 204214
Frankster

Frankster

Never trust a doctor who's plants have died.
Supporter
Yes, the key is ventilation, and or active cooling, need to make a choice. If you go for cooling, consider a unit that can both air condition, plus dehumidify, so you got total control.

calculate/evaluate your total power load. do the math and weigh your options.

IMG 20210720 120205
Dabward

Dabward

Yes, the key is ventilation, and or active cooling, need to make a choice. If you go for cooling, consider a unit that can both air condition, plus dehumidify, so you got total control.

calculate/evaluate your total power load. do the math and weigh your options.
Doesn't a portable unit like that expell unfiltered cannabis smelling air ? I spent a month playing with portable ACs trying to get one to work without an exhaust hole. HOA won't let me cut exhaust ports into the front of my garage. Backyard is about 50ft(max length on those exhaust hoses is like 8 ft usually. . Wasted a lot of time and money trying to get a portable to work. Would have been done a month ago if I had committed to doing it right...granted the ceiling was torn open from side of the house to the other.. if the climate is mild enough maybe a swamp cooler and dehu.. to avoid exhaust holes....small tent Smaller LED for minimum heat intake and exhaust probably for the tent.. just spitballin..

Frankster

Frankster

Supporter
Doesn't a portable unit like that expell unfiltered cannabis smelling air ? I spent a month playing with portable ACs trying to get one to work without an exhaust hole. HOA won't let me cut exhaust ports into the front of my garage. Backyard is about 50ft(max length on those exhaust hoses is like 8 ft usually. . Wasted a lot of time and money trying to get a portable to work. Would have been done a month ago if I had committed to doing it right...granted the ceiling was torn open from side of the house to the other.. if the climate is mild enough maybe a swamp cooler and dehu.. to avoid exhaust holes....small tent Smaller LED for minimum heat intake and exhaust probably for the tent.. just spitballin..
It will could, probably have to use some sort of filter no doubt. I don't know if there's air exchange or not, TBH. But my guess would be yes.

That said, there's more than one way to clean a fish. If temps can be controlled with simply fans, or perhaps venting it out of the roof somehow. I don't know how intrusive HOA get tbh, and living in a restricted area really is a valid concern.

best spot I can see to dump it would be into the ports under eaves, if you've got any overhang on the outside.

Last edited:
Dabward

Dabward

It will could, probably have to use some sort of filter no doubt. I don't know if there's air exchange or not, TBH. But my guess would be yes.

That said, there's more than one way to clean a fish. If temps can be controlled with simply fans, or perhaps venting it out of the roof somehow. I don't know how intrusive HOA get tbh, and living in a restricted area really is a valid concern.

best spot I can see to dump it would be into the ports under eaves, if you've got any overhang on the outside.

Dabward

Dabward

Valid. Eaves do make a good spot to vent. Something we had considered.. but you are still then venting it potentially 8 or 9 feet straight up over and back down. Adding 3 90° bends. both well over the typical threshold for those exhaust pipes for portable ac. We are not renting. But the houses are real close like the left side of our house is considered my neighbors property. So he cuts the grass on that side. Weird. But it limited where we could vent. Non of this Probably applies to OP since he's in an apartment complex and cutting holes in anything is probably a bad idea.. geographical locations and building restrictions are needed to answer this question effectively..

Frankster

Frankster

Supporter
Valid. Eaves do make a good spot to vent. Something we had considered.. but you are still then venting it potentially 8 or 9 feet straight up over and back down. Adding 3 90° bends. both well over the typical threshold for those exhaust pipes for portable ac. We are not renting. But the houses are real close like the left side of our house is considered my neighbors property. So he cuts the grass on that side. Weird. But it limited where we could vent. Non of this Probably applies to OP since he's in an apartment complex and cutting holes in anything is probably a bad idea.. geographical locations and building restrictions are needed to answer this question effectively..
lol, use accordion style vent, that's all that's needed anyhow, if you want strong, get the more solid stuff. zero bends.

Then simply point it out a vent hole.
https://www.amazon.com/VIVOSUN-Non-...=1&keywords=4+Inch+Duct&qid=1626787478&sr=8-7
https://www.amazon.com/iPower-Non-I...1a-73ca-403a-923c-8152c45485fe&tag=bobvila-20
https://www.amazon.com/AC-Infinity-...=1&keywords=4+Inch+Duct&qid=1626787478&sr=8-5

JSH1973

JSH1973

Supporter
How about a big grow tent inside the garage, would that help with climate control?

Oldchucky

Oldchucky

Supporter
My biggest concern would be how the landlord/p.m. will react when they find out about it. Would hate to spend a bunch of money and time just to get crushed by the powers that be later on.

Billymgb

Billymgb

My biggest concern would be how the landlord/p.m. will react when they find out about it. Would hate to spend a bunch of money and time just to get crushed by the powers that be later on.
Yea they will notice the electric bill going up, unless you pay for it. Too many eyes. Good luck if you do decide to do it.

Top Bottom