Grow light question

• Thread starter MasterDsKush
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
MasterDsKush

MasterDsKush

So I’m running a HLG 550 v2
I feel like this isn’t enough for flower what y’all think? I’m thinking of getting another light that’s meant for flower and running both?? Or should i just stay with this?

detroitjoe

detroitjoe

What are u flowering?
Lumens. Light is measured in lumens.

Area of plant budsets determine the amount of a light needed .

So again, how many specimens are you flowering and let's see some pics
Or is this a well crafted spam post from a bot?

Hmm

MasterDsKush

MasterDsKush

What are u flowering?
Lumens. Light is measured in lumens.

Area of plant budsets determine the amount of a light needed .

So again, how many specimens are you flowering and let's see some pics
Or is this a well crafted spam post from a bot?

Hmm
Lol I’m not a bot why would a bot even post on a forum asking for light questions just wondering?

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

Lol I’m not a bot why would a bot even post on a forum asking for light questions just wondering?

I put two 250w quantum boards in a 5 x 5 tent for a total of 500w. I have not attempted plants under these lights yet but I think that my 500w is probably not enough for good lighting. (20w per square foot) I'm probably going to boost that to 800w real soon. I also think my 500w of qb light would have been better served if each board had a separate heatsink. (4 boards and 4 heatsinks)

What size is your space?

MasterDsKush

MasterDsKush

5x5x7 i really think this light is only for veg doesn’t have any red color in the spectrum

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

5x5x7 i really think this light is only for veg doesn’t have any red color in the spect

Do you know what color board you have? Mine is 3500K which is supposed to be dual purpose between veg and flower. I have up to 800w more of light in a cob unit I built. 14 of the 16 cobs I put in that are 390nm-760nm so I have plenty of red, blue, and even some UVA available as needed.

MasterDsKush

MasterDsKush

Do you know what color board you have? Mine is 3500K which is supposed to be dual purpose between veg and flower. I have up to 800w more of light in a cob unit I built. 14 of the 16 cobs I put in that are 390nm-760nm so I have plenty of red, blue, and even some UVA available as needed.
Think it’s white I’m not sure here is all the specs

CB26C9AA B85A 40BA 80C8 0AE386410D4F
CCA7CD14 9E2D 4FD9 B877 42CB1E767413
detroitjoe

detroitjoe

Thanks for the video.
The light in question is another synthetic; they say equivalent to a 1000 watt magnetic..real light being the sun.

In my years, time after time, plants grow differently under Synthetic led vs Synthetic magnetic (HPS//MH)
With LED, plants are more purple and yellow green..with growth character not doing like mother nature
With magnetic,plants closely resemble outdoor character.

What about yield amount? Density ? Over all quality of the meds..

You can flower under any wattage of flowering spectrum, led or magnetic

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

Thanks for the video.
The light in question is another synthetic; they say equivalent to a 1000 watt magnetic..real light being the sun.

In my years, time after time, plants grow differently under Synthetic led vs Synthetic magnetic (HPS//MH)
With LED, plants are more purple and yellow green..with growth character not doing like mother nature

I'm positive it will flower a plant just like "detroitjoe" said. 4000k is "considered" more of a veg spectrum from what I have read. However, to put it in perspective, plenty of people have flowered cannabis using mh HID lighting .... which is also "about" 4000K.

FourthCity

FourthCity

Think it’s white I’m not sure here is all the specs
They have made this light in a few different formats, the V2 was offered in 3000k, 3500k, and 4000k, and is now available only in rspec, and bspec. If you do really have the 4000k model then it should be sufficient for vegging a 5x5 - 6x6 space but as the manufacturer says, that spectrum is not really ideal for flowering. In the older lights the 3000k or 3500k would have been better options for all around use or purely flowering, same for the newer rspec. Your plants look like they have some issues that are likely not related to your light.

Last edited:
MasterDsKush

MasterDsKush

Thanks for the video.

Thanks for the info everyone and I’m looking for the most potent dense nugs i can get.

MasterDsKush

MasterDsKush

They have made this light in a few different formats, the V2 was offered in 3000k, 3500k, and 4000k, and is now available only in rspec, and bspec. If you do really have the 4000k model then it should be sufficient for vegging a 5x5 - 6x6 space but as the manufacturer says, that spectrum is not really ideal for flowering. In the older lights the 3000k or 3500k would have been better options for all around use or purely flowering, same for the newer rspec. Your plants look like they have some issues that are likely not related to your light.
Yes I’m aware I’m sure this is the 4k

MasterDsKush

MasterDsKush

Wouldn’t the blue be to high? That doesn’t matter?
Or would it be best to get a new light for flower? I’ve flowered from the this light before got very airy buds but that could have been the strain or bc i only ran water

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

Or would it be best to get a new light for flower? I’ve flowered from the this light before got very airy buds but that could have been the strain or bc i only ran water

In my opinion, take it for what it's worth, adding red is more like shifting your 4000k to 3500k-3000k. Your quantum boards are good high intensity light. When I spoke of feeling like a 5 x 5 x 7 tent, which I also have, needing about 800w of lighting, I was speaking of flowering. Instead of scrapping the 4000k, add red to turn on during flowering to supplement your existing lights. You can do that a number of ways .... and it would be much cheaper than ditching your current light.

As for airy buds, that could have been a number of things.

MasterDsKush

MasterDsKush

In my opinion, take it for what it's worth, adding red is more like shifting your 4000k to 3500k-3000k. Your quantum boards are good high intensity light. When I spoke of feeling like a 5 x 5 x 7 tent, which I also have, needing about 800w of lighting, I was speaking of flowering. Instead of scrapping the 4000k, add red to turn on during flowering to supplement your existing lights. You can do that a number of ways .... and it would be much cheaper than ditching your current light.

As for airy buds, that could have been a number of things.
Do you or anyone have any ideas on how i can do this? When it comes to lights I’m lost I’m thinking of getting strips and running them on the side of the poles bc i don’t have much room up top

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

Do you or anyone have any ideas on how i can do this? When it comes to lights I’m lost I’m thinking of getting strips and running them on the side of the poles bc i don’t have much room up top

Driverless cobs? If you DIY, you can get red driverless smd cobs that you would simply add a heatsink, fan (optional to an extent), a cord and plug (10 ft extension cord with the female end cut off would work). Those would have a small footprint and provide the light you need. I'll be back with a few pictures. I can give you an idea here shortly.

MasterDsKush

MasterDsKush

Driverless cobs? If you DIY, you can get red driverless smd cobs that you would simply add a heatsink, fan (optional to an extent), a cord and plug (10 ft extension cord with the female end cut off would work). Those would have a small footprint and provide the light you need. I'll be back with a few pictures. I can give you an idea here shortly.
Guys I just got home and my girlfriend kept telling me it said 4k but i have the 3k one so i think I’m fine

879CDB9E C36A 4430 A8D8 2F4252613298
Top Bottom