Grow locker is coming together

• Thread starter King Fresh
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
K

King Fresh

Hey THCF, Ive been trying to put this grow locker together for a week or two now.The dimension of the cab is 72" tall by 36" wide and 24" deep. l'm running a 600watt hortilux in a cool tube with the lumatek balast. Im using two 4 inch axial fans, 65 CFM from radio shack. One closer to the top, thats an exhaust and one at bottom left as an intake. Keeping the bulb cool is a 6" inline duct fan 250 CFM found at any home store.
Working on getting it painted a high gloss white on the inside and Im still undecided if infrared block is wanted.
I have been brain storming over the plans for an ajustable net trellis. I have a few rough ideas "but they are real rough" if anyone has some input for me let it rain down.
When I am closer to being finished the cables will be completely hidden and covered. The duct work on the right will be shortend up a little and a layer of white mylar on the bottom to protect from moisture.
Their will be six girls in 2 1/2 gal pots, using a soilless mix from a local nusery. I am currently using Fox Farms line of nutrients. They will be entering flowering no shorter than 8" and no taller then ten.
The only prob sofar is the temp, its staying around 60 degrees when the lights off and thats not to bad, im ok with that. But its only getting around 62 with the light on, I know its a little warmer directly under the light. But I hope its not gonna be to cold.
I know its a work in progress and Im sure I will run into probs, but its whats happen! I will keep you posted and upload more pics.

Grow locker is coming together
Grow locker is coming together 2
T

trusmoker

looking good man id striaghten the ducting a bit bro
looking good tho peace ts

K

King Fresh

Hey guys thanks , It definitely needs shortened on the right......or longer on the left? What do ya think?
Thank you much Blue, and I will try my best to keep it earthed

420Gator

420Gator

you could slow down that exhaust on the light to increase temps

looks good, good luck

K

King Fresh

TS, If I use a six and they dont burn, whats the worst? Wasting lumens and sucking power?

Gator, whats a easy fix for me? my fan dosent have an adjustable speeds on it. I like where your going, thats a great idea! thanks

Bubblehaze

Bubblehaze

Great idea man ! Try a 15 minute timer 15 on 15 off that should equalize the heat. I do that on my dual 600 room. Home depot 2 -6 inch elbows 5$ a piece all the bends will be smooth tape them they leak . Can't wait to see some plants in there. Good luck

Smokey503ski

Smokey503ski

Just get a Fan speed controller. Hook it up to the fan. there like $30 at the grow store. You can slow that fan down by turning a dial on the controller, this will cause the heat to go up, turn it up the heat goes down.

K

King Fresh

Nice Smokey, a fan speed controller should have known about those.
That will work perfect!
Do you think 60 degrees when the light is off will be a problem?

M

MMJInsiders

Nice work King.

Wow, 62 with lights on? Is your thermometer working correctly or is the lab in a really cold room? I can't keep a 600 in a 2x4x7' tent under 75 in a 65 degree room. Your temps will rise as you pile plants in the box and if needed, a fan speed controller like smokey mentioned will work too. You can pick-up a fan speed control for about $20 at harbor freight.

I would go with a simple pvc set-up for the trellis. 3/4" pvc in each corner with holes drilled every few inches. Then, use a smaller diameter pvc for the frame of trellis, with upright pieces at a 90 that slide into the fixed pvc mounted in the cab. Use hitch style pins in each corner to adjust height.

Tobor the 8th Man

Tobor the 8th Man

Supporter
I think that is too cold to grow the best buds. You should at least be 72. I like to keep mine 75-78 lights on and 68=70 lights off. But 60s with lights off will work.

Is that cab made of metal or wood. I think it is a really nice workable space. I think I would have mounted the cool tube near the top maybe 5 inches from the top and vented it straight out the sides. Then you only have short straight pieces of vent tubing and the big inline fan just draws outside air straight into the cool tube and out the other side. That fan should run all the time. You could add a speed control to help with temperature control and slow it down but it needs to run all the time. The cool tube fan has to run all the time. It can run slower or faster but needs to run all the time. Otherwise the cool tube can overheat and get damaged.

Then mount your 2 Radio Shack fans in the holes you now have the vent tubing attached to. Have the mounted on the back of the locker so they draw air out of the holes in the top. These fans can be on a timer. Then you could see how long it takes the box to warm up and adjust the timers accordingly.

Then add at least 4 holes the same size on the bottom of the locker in the floor (easier to light proof) or one one each bottom side. This will be the passive air intake for the Radio Shack fans to draw air from. They need to be light proof. There are various ways to light proof.

Why is the locker so cold. Is it outside in a garage or in an unheated room or basement?

If the locker stays in the 60's with the Radio Shack fans turned off then you need to actually heat the box somehow. During lights on it is easy because you can add a regular 100w bulb. They make a good heat source in a grow cab and can actually get it too warm. Then you could use the timer on the fan to control heat.

With all the vent tubing in there when the fan draws cold air through it and the metal gets cold and the vent tubing acts as a cooling coil to the air in the locker.

Tobor the 8th Man

Tobor the 8th Man

Supporter
Mounting the cool tube permanently at the top and building a moveable shelf system is easier than raising the lamp when needed. Especially when you have plants at different heights. You can raise each plant on its' own block or bucket or have a rack you just put at different heights. I use a cool tube in a box cab and I mounted it at the top.

K

King Fresh

Mounting the cool tube permanently at the top and building a moveable shelf system is easier than raising the lamp when needed. Especially when you have plants at different heights. You can raise each plant on its' own block or bucket or have a rack you just put at different heights. I use a cool tube in a box cab and I mounted it at the top.

Hey Tobor, the cab is metal and the room its in is why so cold. I didnt make the holes on the side for stealth. The cool tube is on yoyo mounts and is adjustable to plant hight.
Im thinking of running a small heater with a thermostat hung from the top of the cab during lights off and hooking up a fan speed controller on the inline during lights on. Everything you said makes alot sense and is great info.
Thanks for the ideas

K

King Fresh

Nice work King.

Wow, 62 with lights on? Is your thermometer working correctly or is the lab in a really cold room? I can't keep a 600 in a 2x4x7' tent under 75 in a 65 degree room. Your temps will rise as you pile plants in the box and if needed, a fan speed controller like smokey mentioned will work too. You can pick-up a fan speed control for about $20 at harbor freight.

I would go with a simple pvc set-up for the trellis. 3/4" pvc in each corner with holes drilled every few inches. Then, use a smaller diameter pvc for the frame of trellis, with upright pieces at a 90 that slide into the fixed pvc mounted in the cab. Use hitch style pins in each corner to adjust height.

Thank Ya MMJ, its very cold in the room around 60. The cool tube and inline fan really sucks out alot of heat from the light. The thermometer is brand new and I will be adding a second because I thought that shit might be off. Thanks for the heads up on harbor freight.

I like the pvc concept, very cool. Do you know of any pics of this style of trellis or a diy thread that I can use as an example.
Thank again for the help. Peace

M

MMJInsiders

Check out motherlode's UC grow to get an idea of an adjustable trellis:

The basic idea is to have PVC tubes mounted in the corner. Bolt them in if you want them removable or epoxy them into place if it doesn't matter (in all honesty, it wouldn't matter if they were freestanding once the trellis was inserted, or the pieces that mount in the corner could be connected via PVC around the perimeter of the base). Drill the height holes evenly and before the tubes are mounted in the cab. The trellis could be made just like the one in the link, scaled to fit. Make sure the tube size used for the trellis fits into the uprights that are fixed mounted in the cab.

PVC is super easy to work with. Every time I make something out of PVC I wonder why I don't make more out of PVC...

420Gator

420Gator

Just insulate the box and throw in the fan speed controller u don't need to get all fancy imo

Check out lbh's scrog tutorial

K

King Fresh

Check out motherlode's UC grow to get an idea of an adjustable trellis:

The basic idea is to have PVC tubes mounted in the corner. Bolt them in if you want them removable or epoxy them into place if it doesn't matter (in all honesty, it wouldn't matter if they were freestanding once the trellis was inserted, or the pieces that mount in the corner could be connected via PVC around the perimeter of the base). Drill the height holes evenly and before the tubes are mounted in the cab. The trellis could be made just like the one in the link, scaled to fit. Make sure the tube size used for the trellis fits into the uprights that are fixed mounted in the cab.

PVC is super easy to work with. Every time I make something out of PVC I wonder why I don't make more out of PVC...

Thanks alot MMJ, seeing the pics from that link helped . Im thinking of floating the pvc frame from adjustable hangers. That would eliminate some clutter at the bottom and leave more room for foliage.

Really enjoying this forum! Getting taken to school and Im loving it.
Thanks broham

Smoking Gun

Smoking Gun

Thanks alot MMJ, seeing the pics from that link helped . Im thinking of floating the pvc frame from adjustable hangers. That would eliminate some clutter at the bottom and leave more room for foliage.

I have also thought about hanging a screen for scroging, but I don't believe it would work as the growth of the plant would push the screen back up rather than force the growth outward.

J

Jsän

KMK's DIY Thermo-Control Outlet.

you already have the brackets for shelves. cut those two shelving runners in half.the brackets are cheap at HDepot. some wire shelving = done.

how is that double door for light leaks? (i had to make a lid for mine)

odor during flower?
whats the summer temp for that room?
the axial fans might not be enough if ambient temps +85..

and i would deff loose the yo-yo's. i have read lots of journals. and id say they are to blame for near 70% of all luminary/gravity mishaps.

chains bolted to I hooks.
cup hooks to hold the slack.

...just some noob thoughts.

it is coming along great.

Top Bottom