Grow medium suggestions please help!!

• Thread starter Kinglouida13th
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Kinglouida13th

Kinglouida13th

Help I just ordered sunshine#4 advanced mix from Amazon, on some real rookie shit, just listening to a few ppl about it being good, them after further review realizing AFTER spending $70 it's prolly not the best medium for my grow. I'm trying to find the best medium for my BLOOM CITY ORGANIC GROW KIT, I have the kit and SOME mother earth 70/30 coco perlite left but not nearly enough for for 4 plants, so I have basically enough for 2, but have no idea on anything else that may be good for my 420 fastbuds autos and my bloom city organic kit, any suggestions or insight would be greatly appreciated!! PS I really like the coco coir and perlite medium, I've heard either Happy frog, coco loco, or promix are good mediums ANY input is MUCH appreciated!!!

HarryHood

HarryHood

i'm a newb and from all the research i've done it seems as though Happy Frog or FFOF are the preferred method for other newbs as they're not too hard to screw up providing you don't overdo it on the nutrients and watering. i think next time i'm going to add a bit of perlite to my mix though
i'm doing 5 auto's in a 75% FFOF-25% HF. there's enough nutrients in there for the first few weeks and then you can begin light feeding after that. i use terp teas to provide nutrients.
you'll definitely get better information from the farmer's on here than what i've given you, but at least it's a jumping off point. good luck with your grow!

Last edited:
Kinglouida13th

Kinglouida13th

Why is sunshine #4 not good?
I really don't know is it? I figured someone could give me some insight,I've read A-LOT of ppl saying there crop had issues in weeksb 4-5 of flower using it,also some ppl say it's too strong and can burn your plants if not careful,I'm just looking for something already ph'd!!

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

I really don't know is it? I figured someone could give me some insight,I've read A-LOT of ppl saying there crop had issues in weeksb 4-5 of flower using it,also some ppl say it's too strong and can burn your plants if not careful,I'm just looking for something already ph'd!!
It has no nutrients in it so it cant burn your plants and it is PH buffered. If someone had issues it was grower error. So many just look for something to blame rather than accept its thier fault.

An issue in week 4-5 has to do with nutrients they are using and watering practices.
Choose a media that suits your time commitment. No media will grow plants for you

Last edited:
ezenzyme

ezenzyme

It seems as though a few days reading up and a visit to the basic growing section are needed here. Whatever your reading about sunshine mix is totally wrong, that stuff has been a standard for years. Like aqua said; we are just like the dirt, we cant grow it for you. If someone here spoon feeds you their opinion on what dirt to get you will be just as clueless as before with plants growing in some dirt you have no idea about. Say you start growing in coco/pearlite, thats a whole science in of its self to do properly. Sunshine, roots 707, big roots, happy frog, foff, black gold, are all good dirt and will provide you with a excellent media to get your show started. Autos you say? A mix like 707 or Happy frog will have a good amount of nutes that should keep em healthy for their cycle.
and remember!!!! Proper planning and prevention prevents piss poor performance providing a plethora of purple pounds of pot!!

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

i'm a newb and from all the research i've done it seems as though Happy Frog or FFOF are the preferred method for other newbs as they're not too hard to screw up providing you don't overdo it on the nutrients and watering. i think next time i'm going to add a bit of perlite to my mix though
i'm doing 5 auto's in a 75% FFOF-25% HF. there's enough nutrients in there for the first few weeks and then you can begin light feeding after that. i use terp teas to provide nutrients.
you'll definitely get better information from the farmer's on here than what i've given you, but at least it's a jumping off point. good luck with your grow!

I've used both Happy Frog and FFOF. Of the 2 I like FFOF better. I also mix it with course perlite so it's 3/4 FFOF and 1/4 perlite. This is @MIMedGrower's recipe and I like the results so far.

The only thing I have to say about Fox Farm products are the huge differences in prices that I sometimes hear people are paying. If you live in an area that has a Grow Generations store, go in and check them out. I walked out of there earlier this January with four 1.5cf bags $12.26 each. You will need to sign up for their discount program to get this price. At the very least, shop around. People should not have to pay $30.00 a bag for it as I've seen some others state.
FFOF

HarryHood

HarryHood

I've used both Happy Frog and FFOF. Of the 2 I like FFOF better. I also mix it with course perlite so it's 3/4 FFOF and 1/4 perlite. This is @MIMedGrower's recipe and I like the results so far.

The only thing I have to say about Fox Farm products are the huge differences in prices that I sometimes hear people are paying. If you live in an area that has a Grow Generations store, go in and check them out. I walked out of there earlier this January with four 1.5cf bags $12.26 each. You will need to sign up for their discount program to get this price. At the very least, shop around. People should not have to pay $30.00 a bag for it as I've seen some others state. View attachment 1084857
i can't recall what i paid per bag, but i'll have to pay more attention moving forward

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

I thinkni paid just under $40CAD taxes in for a 3.8 cb ft bail 107 litres locally. I added vermiculite to mine. While a peat based media is not my thing I absolutely found it great as I did promix also.

Definitely @MIMedGrower is a good grower to learn from on peat and soil based grows. I o ly have done 1 and a few moms.

Top Bottom