Grow Medium

• Thread starter Brother Kush
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
B

Brother Kush

I need some advice on some grow mediums...,I'm just starting out for the first time and I would like to make my own medium, can someone PLEASE give me some tips or hints or what to do. Possibly give me a mix

Dunge

Dunge

Fellow farmers often refer to the formula as 'subcool's super soil'. (there are threads here)
The idea is to provide a dirt/microbial environment that needs only water additions for the plant to go from start to finish in a small pot. (I use 3 gallon fabric bags)
I also am using alfalfa tea.
It works!
Good water, microbial tea, and light. That's it.

I have only been growing for two years, but my confidence is high as baring pests or wacko experiments, I can trust that my plants will perform as designed.

The stuff list: (12 cubic feed)
Ten buckets of peat (local bog product sold by the pickup load)
1 bag earth worm castings
1 3 foot bag compost
1 box blood meal
1 box bone meal

I also add a box of high P bat guano and have stopped adding any perlite.

It all seems to be about providing a good microbial medium in which your plants roots negotiate a living.

I will admit that this method limits my ability to 'dial in' a regimen.
My Grapefruit x Blueberry has a habit of starting to strip large fan leaves of nutrients starting half way through flower, while my White Fire loves it start to finish.
I don't understand this, but the buds are big and solid, so it is more of a curiosity than anything.

The list of additional items that some add to their soil can get very long, as most people feel that more is better. I am resisting this inclination and keeping it a simple as I can.

Good growing.

Intense

Intense

Personally I would avoid using bog peat and use coco peat (coir) in its place. Only reason being that bog peat is a diminishing product (i.e. it is not sustainable) and coco is sustainable, as it's a byproduct of the coconut industry.

Putting mycorrhizae and other beneficial microbes into your mix with be all enormous benefit to your plants too. They will reduce the need to fertilise and protect against pathogens, amongst a range of other benefits.

B

Brother Kush

Thank you guys, I really appreciate the help. I'm going to take what you guys said and Ru. With it :)

Caress of Steel

Caress of Steel

I need some advice on some grow mediums...,I'm just starting out for the first time and I would like to make my own medium, can someone PLEASE give me some tips or hints or what to do. Possibly give me a mix
As a first timer, IMO, you'd be better off picking up a bale of pro-mix and some extra perlite.
Easy peasy. Keep it simple, as you gain knowledge, then you can experiment with mixing your own soil.
Just my 2 cents.

outwest

outwest

Premium Gardener
Supporter
As a first timer, IMO, you'd be better off picking up a bale of pro-mix and some extra perlite.
Easy peasy. Keep it simple, as you gain knowledge, then you can experiment with mixing your own soil.
Just my 2 cents.

I used botanicare coco moisture formula with organic bottled nutes for my first several runs with excellent results.

outwest

Top Bottom