Grow room a/c advice

• Thread starter Gaval
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
G

Gaval

I am building a new budroom if i really only need maybe 1 1/2 ton to cool the room is it stupid to install a 4 ton?

J

jakesterjammin

I am building a new budroom if i really only need maybe 1 1/2 ton to cool the room is it stupid to install a 4 ton?
IMO no, not stupid at all...
It will cool the room quicker and thus not run as long, therefore saving electric in the long run....

Maybe not a HUGE savings because it takes more electric to run that 4 ton as opposed to a 1-1/2 or 2 ton... But again IMO it would save somewhat overall..

F

f1ydave

Please read and/or post in "Grow Room A/C"

Be sure to include what you are trying to cool. How many lights, etc?

S

swisscheese

Yeah buy a window unit for 500 or less at home depot and box it out in your room. Works great and compared to a 4 ton you will be saving a lot.

CannabisJohn

CannabisJohn

IMO no, not stupid at all...
It will cool the room quicker and thus not run as long, therefore saving electric in the long run....

Maybe not a HUGE savings because it takes more electric to run that 4 ton as opposed to a 1-1/2 or 2 ton... But again IMO it would save somewhat overall..

You are incorrect. The unit will start and stop way too much so the life of the unit will be greatly reduced. It is ok to oversize a little but not double or more.

J

jakesterjammin

You are incorrect. The unit will start and stop way too much so the life of the unit will be greatly reduced. It is ok to oversize a little but not double or more.

Ya, did not think of that...
Also the startup of the unit draws the highest power too...

Soooooo, "I see now" said the blinded man...

G

Gaval

ok been thinking about the window ac option. doesnt a window ac suck out alot of the co2 in the room? I will have 4000 watts in a 10x9 the room is built in a garage an is being fully insulated. I was thinking of using this window unit

Do you think this will be too much for the room? the garage is hot as hell during the summer

CannabisJohn

CannabisJohn

ok been thinking about the window ac option. doesnt a window ac suck out alot of the co2 in the room? I will have 4000 watts in a 10x9 the room is built in a garage an is being fully insulated. I was thinking of using this window unit

Do you think this will be too much for the room? the garage is hot as hell during the summer

No should not be too much. If ur room is sealed properly and window a/c opening is sealed properly you should have no CO2 loss.

RABB1T

RABB1T

In that space for 4k, in a well insulated room an old boxed out window AC unit 19000 btu will work great. I just wouldn't wanna unit posted into a wall where someone could bust it out and access your garden. Dump the exhaust elsewhere or go with a remote unit IMO.

G

Gaval

In that space for 4k, in a well insulated room an old boxed out window AC unit 19000 btu will work great. I just wouldn't wanna unit posted into a wall where someone could bust it out and access your garden. Dump the exhaust elsewhere or go with a remote unit IMO.

well they have to break into the garage an then into the room. The window ac will be installed on the wall inside of garage not on the outside of the garage. you think 4k watts will be fine without being air cooled with 19k btu? also what do you mean by an old boxed out window air conditioner?

CannabisJohn

CannabisJohn

well they have to break into the garage an then into the room. The window ac will be installed on the wall inside of garage not on the outside of the garage. you think 4k watts will be fine without being air cooled with 19k btu? also what do you mean by an old boxed out window air conditioner?

No. Get the 24k for lights that are not air cooled. You must vent the heat from the window unit from garage. If not the garage will get too hot. I would suggest 2 fans that do 1000 cfm each. Use 1 for exhaust and 1 for fresh air into garage.

G

Gaval

No. Get the 24k for lights that are not air cooled. You must vent the heat from the window unit from garage. If not the garage will get too hot. I would suggest 2 fans that do 1000 cfm each. Use 1 for exhaust and 1 for fresh air into garage.

thanks john you definitely stopped me from setting up a crazy hvac system for a small room lol suppose ill sell this 56k btu furnace i bought hahah

Latest posts

Top Bottom