Grow room a/c

• Thread starter Indicated
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
I

Indicated

wow..i just read a post by cannibisjohn offering help with HVAC related issues..I was supprised at the amount of interest and people needing help of one kind or another..if it helps anyone I am also a HVAC contractor in Fl. for over 28 years now..any help i can give id be more than glad to.even as far as providingl tech support for those who want to installe there own equipment. with the right tools its not all its made out to be....automation and controls are my thing so let me know...

R

ryannayr

new grow area

Indicated
I live in northern PA (warmest in the summer 90, coldest in winter 0 degrees). Each bay is 10Wx16Lx14H, I could lower the ceiling to 8 - 10 ft. if this helps, I would like A/C in all bays except mother/clone room - will possibly use portable here, unless you recommend something else....The walls and ceiling will be properly insulated and the flower rooms will be sealed, will be using a flip/flop system for flowering. Will most likely be using aircooled 1000w lights (6-8 in flower room)....Will be using soil.....Will be using CO2 (not sure yet about generator or bottled).....The floor is concrete....There is a 4 foot wide enclosed hallway which will separate the open bay and the grow area....The open bay area will be heated during the winter months maybe 60 - 65 degrees....There is plenty of room in the open bay....Is it possible to place compressors there for security reasons....If placed in open bay what is your recommendation for ventilation setup....What is your recommendation of the A/C system I should purchase (make/model) and install and breakdown for each room....Price is not an issue....Would like to stay as stealthy as possible. No neighbors for a quarter mile each way....your opinion is greatly valued and any assistance is appreciated...

CannabisJohn

CannabisJohn

wow..i just read a post by cannibisjohn offering help with HVAC related issues..I was supprised at the amount of interest and people needing help of one kind or another..if it helps anyone I am also a HVAC contractor in Fl. for over 28 years now..any help i can give id be more than glad to.even as far as providingl tech support for those who want to installe there own equipment. with the right tools its not all its made out to be....automation and controls are my thing so let me know...

Don't be messing up my action. Just kidding. Installs are fairly easy but I think most people don't want to spend extra money for tools to use once. Also technically it is illegal but we both know how that works (EPA rules that online retailers don't care about). Plus the operating pressures of the new R410A.

I

Indicated

Well I guess this all depends on how good you are with the tool bag,,me,,Id put in minisplits for the four bays youl be growing in the mother/clone room wont need to many BTU's most likely, need to lnow the deet's on lighting in there the mini split condensers can be set in the open bay but that space will need to be air exchanged to not allow condensing temps to go much above 90 to maintain efficiency (lots of ways to do this).gives you stealthy quiet coling in all area's By what you said about the bldg const. You should bring down that ceiling to 8' or so to prevent stratafacation and heat build up up high digging into the efficiency some more If your going to vent the lighting through the room and not from the room id go 18,000(1 1/2 ton) for the 8K bays and if your sure that your not gonna need more in the future for the 4K bay then go 12,000(1 Ton) and assuming mild load in the mother closet go 6,000 btu. Evin if you have a lighting ventalation failure those capacaty units should be able to easly handle the entire load but will run normally for humidty control with proper ventalation of lighting ..If you can braze copper, twist some wires and run a vacume pump or have a fraind who can this would ideal dont let people scare ya into not trying if you feel yourself compentant, but done embark on something you know you cant do,,wiring's no hobby,,but its not to diffacult,as far as brand if money really is no problem then Trane,of course, but cheaper brands are out there mitsubishi,sanyo, Its true the new 410a refridgerants require and bit tighter dissapline than the old 22 systems but a freon burn is a freon burn, you learn fast,,you also can get the line sets precharged at 25' and 50' lengths with some models the bigest advantage to this setup is if you have a cooling problem its localized and with a little mcguyver ducting you can limp along of the others..and onthing is visable from outside nor is there much noise from them at all

I

Indicated

Don't be messing up my action. Just kidding. Installs are fairly easy but I think most people don't want to spend extra money for tools to use once. Also technically it is illegal but we both know how that works (EPA rules that online retailers don't care about). Plus the operating pressures of the new R410A.

sorry man wasnt trying to step on your hoses there just thought id see if i could help out some..seemed like you got jumped there..

brd

brd

Is the vacume pumps only purpose to check for a leak? I purchase a dual zone Klimeaire about 6 months ago. It came with pre-flared 25' line sets all ready to go. I installed it without vacuming the lines and it has been running great ever since. Hope I didn't do anything two wrong.

CannabisJohn

CannabisJohn

sorry man wasnt trying to step on your hoses there just thought id see if i could help out some..seemed like you got jumped there..

Dude I was totally not upset. I was just screwing with you. We are on opposite sides of country. Sorry if you thought I was serious.

CannabisJohn

CannabisJohn

Is the vacume pumps only purpose to check for a leak? I purchase a dual zone Klimeaire about 6 months ago. It came with pre-flared 25' line sets all ready to go. I installed it without vacuming the lines and it has been running great ever since. Hope I didn't do anything two wrong.

Problem is with the air in line set there is moisture. With moisture you most likely shorten life of compressor. Also air does not condense like the refrigerant does in outdoor unit so you may see big problems in hot weather. You could have reduced cooling or damage components because of excess pressures. Also the refrigerant is ruined. So if someone ever pulls the refrigerant out for repairs don't let them reuse it. Have them put virgin R410A in system after repairs and evacuation. Air and refrigerant don't mix. Keep a close eye on system when outdoor temps increase. Also may be start looking for a HVAC pro if you need one. I am in Socal if I can help.

I

Indicated

Nope theyr correct air in the system is considered a noncondensable gas so it will increase condensing temp and pressures and absolutly kill efficiency and drasticly shorten the life span of the equip in general..what you have now is a contaminated charge that REALLY needs to be recovered and disposed of and the system dryer changed and then pumped down before installing a virgin charge you will see an imed increase in system performance and elect comsumption as wellBest to have a pro out to do this is at this point. It shouldnt take more than two hours laybor total and whatever the trip charge is plus cost of ref. Hope this helps

brd

brd

Thanks you guys for the info. Its not that Im to cheap to hire a pro its just well you know. Could I take the compressor to a pro and heave him change the system dryer and install new R410A then bring it back but this time use a vacume pump the way I should have to start with.

CannabisJohn

CannabisJohn

Thanks you guys for the info. Its not that Im to cheap to hire a pro its just well you know. Could I take the compressor to a pro and heave him change the system dryer and install new R410A then bring it back but this time use a vacume pump the way I should have to start with.

No. He`has to come to you. That way he will evacuate the indoor,outdoor units, and line set all at once.

B

blackcat

i have a 3phase 208v a/c unit but only have 240v power , can i make this work with some sort of transformer?

I

Indicated

i have a 3phase 208v a/c unit but only have 240v power , can i make this work with some sort of transformer?

Nope. Three Phase eqiup. requires three phase power. best bet is to sell it and get the right equip. for the service.

I

Indicated

You could allways change the compressor to a single phase pump. The fan motors should be single phase, unless this equip is larger than 5 tons or 480v

B

blackcat

You could allways change the compressor to a single phase pump. The fan motors should be single phase, unless this equip is larger than 5 tons or 480v

its 10 ton :worried:evilgrin0040::bongsmi:

S

swisscheese

Awesome a shorter AC thread!! 6k light cooled room looking for a minisplit or a window unit to box out for my room so I can attempt to take advantage of a better climate and co2. Was thinking at least 24000btu's of cooling will be needed and maybe a second zone as well. Just looking for some experienced input here as far as what's good, what's good and cheap, and what to stay away from. Thanks cannabjohn and indicated for your time helping everyone out.

masshole61

masshole61

i also am building a 10x12x8h sealed grow room with 3 1kw vented air cooled hoods (raptors) and am looking for a completely sealed 12000 btu wall mounted programmable ac with a remote sensor. any product suggestions?

bobby

bobby

Multi Zone help needed!!

Could you go into details on how one could cool 2 rooms with 1 5 ton split AC? Can you explain how the "off" room would be cooled? It seems like the basics would be each room would have 1 supply and 1 return duct, both with motorized or electric dampers. If each set of dampers have their own tstat are they simply controlled by temp? or temp and time?

also, where would the tstat for the air handler go? Or do you need 1 in each room?

If the "off" room fully opens it's dampers, doesn't the "on" room lose 50% of it's cooling capacity when the "off" room needs cooling? Is there a better and more precise way? For example, the "off" room only needs to cool a dehumidifier, so it seems like it would only need around 1 ton of cooling, as opposed to 2.5 tons (half of the 5 ton unit)....or is it better to not mess around with with percentages and simply open the dampers all the way in hopes that it cools the "off" room quickly and then returns to fully cooling the "on" room?

Thank you in advance....being able to cool 2 rooms with 1 AC saves so much on amperage and costs!!!

CannabisJohn

CannabisJohn

Could you go into details on how one could cool 2 rooms with 1 5 ton split AC? Can you explain how the "off" room would be cooled? It seems like the basics would be each room would have 1 supply and 1 return duct, both with motorized or electric dampers. If each set of dampers have their own tstat are they simply controlled by temp? or temp and time?

also, where would the tstat for the air handler go? Or do you need 1 in each room?

If the "off" room fully opens it's dampers, doesn't the "on" room lose 50% of it's cooling capacity when the "off" room needs cooling? Is there a better and more precise way? For example, the "off" room only needs to cool a dehumidifier, so it seems like it would only need around 1 ton of cooling, as opposed to 2.5 tons (half of the 5 ton unit)....or is it better to not mess around with with percentages and simply open the dampers all the way in hopes that it cools the "off" room quickly and then returns to fully cooling the "on" room?

Thank you in advance....being able to cool 2 rooms with 1 AC saves so much on amperage and costs!!!

Each room gets a tstat. If you put in programmable stats in both rooms then you can set different temps and time settings. The a/c unit is controlled by separate control board with inputs from both stats. You could control each room with proportional controls so they only get the amt of air they need but IMO that would be a huge waste of money and time. Also most likely u would not be able to buy something straight off the shelf without paying someone to program your new controls.

Top Bottom