Grow Room Designs Help

• Thread starter Michiganmeds
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Michiganmeds

Michiganmeds

So my room is 10Ă—10 with 9foot 10 inch ceilings it's split into 2 rooms of 4x10 and 6x10 I'm trying to work out the kinks as far as ventilation. I have one 6in can fan and I need to vent both rooms, so I'm trying to figure out how to connect the rooms without letting light into my flower room? Same thing with getting fresh air into both rooms?

Any ideas? Also have the same problem for heating in the winter, the main area is 10x28 and the 10x10 rooms are on one end and heat source on the other...so thoughts here would be appreciated as well.

N

numbnutts

Well if in reading correctly. You want to vent without letting in light. So you'd need a black filter or a green one if you could find it. Green light has zero effect on flowering plants. Very convenient because you can have light on and be in the flower room in darkness. What I did to stop this same problem was , my room is in my cellar. I put all green bulbs outside the room. But I only had one room. You have two the heat is all the way over to the other side. Now just for a little info. I used a 35 pound can fan filter for a 5 by 6 room with a 300 cfm fan to sick air out. . So a 6 inch may not city two rooms as far as cutting smell down. But as far as ventilation that's an easy one. You can buy black filters that will cut out light and put the filter down low and the fan and can filter up high so the air pressure pulls fresh air in from the bottom up through the plants past the light cooling it then carrying the smell into the filter. As far as heat. You'll be surprised how much heat your lights will let off.
What do you plan on using for lights. Because there's a possibility you'll have an issue cooling not heating. Like I do in my cellar. ANY place that sells medical equipment like oxygen machines would probably be able to sell you the filters. They're really cheap and come in strips about 6 inches long and 4 inches wide.
I've been at this for a while. Over 15 years and I've set quite a few rooms up. So if you have any questions I'd be more than happy to help you brainstorm some ideas and figure out what works for you.

N

numbnutts

Sorry about the type os , this stupid phone writes the dumbest shit. I meant to say a 6 inch filter may not cut it on two rooms. But that depends on the weight of it and how long is it. 6 inches wide at the end you connect the filter to the fan ? Mine was probably a ten inch opening into what was close to a half leg of beer. I had my fan above my lights and the fan was attached to vent duct that went out the wall and sat rt outside my room. Clean air was filtered into the cellar from my room.

Michiganmeds

Michiganmeds

I have been a registered med patient for going on 7 years, I just recently moved and have started over. The fan is a 6in 440cfs ,I am not so concerned with smell as I am heat, as I will be running 400mh in veg and 3 600hps in bloom.

What I want is a vent system at the top and bottom of the wall that separates the 2 rooms, even just holes to allow passive air flow from the neg pressure of the fan in the flower room,and I was thinking of lower vents on the veg side into the main room( main room is 10x28, with the 10x10 built on one end) to allow fresh air to flow into the veg room and If passive is not enough I'll get a smaller can fan to blow fresh air between rooms. Just have to block out the light.

Michiganmeds

Michiganmeds

Also need to come up with some kind of diy to keep runoff water off my floor. I was thinking like a kids pool one that's made out of hard plasticbut then that would be hard to drain and would raise the humidity to much..

Paul Simon

Paul Simon

I would seriously consider adding an additional fan, I feel 440cfm is just barely enough to keep up with that thermal load with out having an active intake. The measure need to block light from one room to another are most likely going to significantly cut down your fans CFM.

Michiganmeds

Michiganmeds

I was thinking of making something a little unorthadoxed at the top of the wall between the rooms is a 10 foot long 8 inch tall gap between the ceiling and the wall, I'm thinking of making a box around that gap and put baffles in to block light......that make any sense? Kinda like a gas tank on a car but to let air threw , by the 3rd or 4th baffle would block the light and let air threw.....

Michiganmeds

Michiganmeds

would seriously consider adding an additional fan, I feel 440cfm is just barely enough to keep up with that thermal load with out having an active intake. The measure need to block light from one room to another are most likely going to significantly cut down your fans CFM

Right that's why I'm thinking of a more free flow option at the top an Mabey a small 4in can bringing fresh air in at the bottom

Paul Simon

Paul Simon

Right that's why I'm thinking of a more free flow option at the top an Mabey a small 4in can bringing fresh air in at the bottom

If I was in your situation this is what I would do: build passive intakes for each room that can be outfitted with HEPA filters, either normal HVAC style rectangles or round grower cone style ones, use the 6 inch fan to exhaust flower and ad a 4 inch fan to exhaust veg. Put them on simple LuxPro plug thermostats and you are growing!

Michiganmeds

Michiganmeds

I'm not really feeling the hepa filters....never used them before....just seems like a added expense

Paul Simon

Paul Simon

If you don't care what gets on your plants, hat's ok, but with active air exchange I wouldALWAYS use a bare minimum of a HEPA filter on intake. We prefer MERV 18. I wish I lived somewhere there wasn't mold, mildew, bugs and nasty ass air pollution.

rmoltis

rmoltis

The Beast Slayer
Supporter
Also if your neighbors have a male nearby you may have your flowers pollinated by accident lol.

The hepa filter is an added measure of security.

This is the one I got.
Downloadfile

It was under half the price of any with the label grow attached. It is washable & reusable. Works great!

Last edited:
Velodrone

Velodrone

One of my first setups long ago was like this. I cut a hole big enough for a register vent on the chases between studs. One low on the veg side, one high on flower side. Allowed no light in. You also have the benefit of those register filters on top of any filtered air coming in for keeping the dust out of the girls.

N

numbnutts

Not sure if I mentioned this already but you can get at any medical equipment store , black filters that go into oxygen concentrators. They clEan the air and block light being black. They're about an inch thick and 6 inches long 4 inches wide. That would work great as a filter. Hepa filters are great filters though and in comparison to a possible hermie or pollinated crop by burnt out neighbors. What's a filters cost in the grander scheme of it. If I had two rooms with that much light. I'd have an air intake low on the veg pull air in directly across to an intake into the flower , low again , then let all the heat rise up through my filter at top of the 3 600s your running. ...I had one flower room 5 by 5. I used a 300 cfm max air fan which was plenty powerful enough , that I'd had above the 2 600s I used . the max air fan filtered my room and expelled clean air to the cellar outside the room . So I had 2 600s hps. Air came in the bottom and then mixed with the air the 3 oscillating fans blew around up over the plants rose up to the max air fan and expelled all the heat. It was awesome. I was able to keep my room at a solid 75 f and could drop it or raise it anytime I wanted by adjusting the speed of the fans. Worked like magic for me bro. I'd be able to drop to 65 f at the end of flower and it really brought out some beautiful looking colors in the plants. And the lights were only 8 inches off the tops no issues whatsoever.

Latest posts

Top Bottom