Grow Room Electrical

• Thread starter hiboy
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Natural

Natural

So hire someone to do it? is it even possible
..and to answer you directly, to be safe all the wires that run on the 15 amp circuit, that you wanna upgrade to 25 amps will have to be replaced with new and bigger gauge. That means tearing into walls. It's just not as feasible as running a new subpanel and wire to suit. (see my previous post)
When people screw in a bigger fuse than what the circuit is wired for, they risk a house fire.

Natural

Natural

One last thought..if you are just trying to add one light, one thing to do is use another existing circuit. This requires you to do an extensive map of all your circuits. One circuit at a time pull the fuse out and go to every room in the house and check every single receptacle (using radio or lamp) and check every light switch. Don't forget to check outside as well. Make a list for every circuit. From there you can add all the watts you use on each particular circuit to see if you have any room on one, or make changes enough that will allow your extra wattage. So then you could add a junction box to a line in the basement or attic and just run a new wire to the garden for a new receptacle.

Frostynugman

Frostynugman

One last thought..if you are just trying to add one light, one thing to do is use another existing circuit. This requires you to do an extensive map of all your circuits. One circuit at a time pull the fuse out and go to every room in the house and check every single receptacle (using radio or lamp) and check every light switch. Don't forget to check outside as well. Make a list for every circuit. From there you can add all the watts you use on each particular circuit to see if you have any room on one, or make changes enough that will allow your extra wattage. So then you could add a junction box to a line in the basement or attic and just run a new wire to the garden for a new receptacle.

I have 2k up through the 30 amp laundry service I know I can handle 1 more light with that. There is also another 20 amp plug going to that same closet where the circuit is alone and I run my 14k A/C. My Question is mainly for my veg. I was wanting to add another 8 bulb t5 which is 3.26 amps. Through that circuit I have: a 4 bulb cloning t5, a 8 bulb t5, 7 fans, a heating mat, air stones when I brew tea and my c02 reg and timer, but that is all. Sometimes after awhile ( 9 weeks or so) sometimes when using a wet vac to clean up water it trips the fuse. Trying to stay away from extension cords.lol. Maybe a sub panel is what is needed here since I am renting the place. Is that something after the service for the house is determined that can be done yourself? The other house I have set up were alot different.

Thanks again,
Frosty

Natural

Natural

I have 2k up through the 30 amp laundry service I know I can handle 1 more light with that. There is also another 20 amp plug going to that same closet where the circuit is alone and I run my 14k A/C. My Question is mainly for my veg. I was wanting to add another 8 bulb t5 which is 3.26 amps. Through that circuit I have: a 4 bulb cloning t5, a 8 bulb t5, 7 fans, a heating mat, air stones when I brew tea and my c02 reg and timer, but that is all. Sometimes after awhile ( 9 weeks or so) sometimes when using a wet vac to clean up water it trips the fuse. Trying to stay away from extension cords.lol. Maybe a sub panel is what is needed here since I am renting the place. Is that something after the service for the house is determined that can be done yourself? The other house I have set up were alot different.

Thanks again,
Frosty

Leave the fuse be..run an extension cord for the shop vac. You might be a little tight with the extra t5 since you already run the AC. If anything have a sub put in with a dedicated line to a new receptacle to run the AC with.

Frostynugman

Frostynugman

Leave the fuse be..run an extension cord for the shop vac. You might be a little tight with the extra t5 since you already run the AC. If anything have a sub put in with a dedicated line to a new receptacle to run the AC with.
The a/c is on the 20 amp fuse alone.

on the 15 amp different fuse There is the 4 bulb cloning t5, a 8 bulb t5, 7 fans, a heating mat, air stones when I brew tea and my c02 reg and timer, but that is all.

So the a/c and the t5s are on different circuts.

Extension on the shop vac sounds easy enough hopefully the new 8 bulb should trip the breaker.

thanks again

Natural

Natural

The a/c is on the 20 amp fuse alone.

on the 15 amp different fuse There is the 4 bulb cloning t5, a 8 bulb t5, 7 fans, a heating mat, air stones when I brew tea and my c02 reg and timer, but that is all.

So the a/c and the t5s are on different circuts.

Extension on the shop vac sounds easy enough hopefully the new 8 bulb should trip the breaker.

thanks again
you got it man stay safe!

bibbles

bibbles

I've got some plans that require at least one 240v outlet (AC), though preferably five (lights), however having previously found a conduit with live, exposed wires just laying in a cabinet connected to nothing I decided to take a look at the situation before really getting started... at least now I know why that conduit was in the cabinet, it was easier to splice things than actually fix them. There are a few things here which don't look right to me, but I figured I should ask before making any assumptions

How complex will setting up 240v be given this starting point?

Natural

Natural

I've got some plans that require at least one 240v outlet (AC), though preferably five (lights), however having previously found a conduit with live, exposed wires just laying in a cabinet connected to nothing I decided to take a look at the situation before really getting started... at least now I know why that conduit was in the cabinet, it was easier to splice things than actually fix them. There are a few things here which don't look right to me, but I figured I should ask before making any assumptions

I think ya best to call an electrician in..that old panel looks full. You'll have to have your service wires coming in looked at, to see if it could even handle a sub-panel. Good luck.

masshole61

masshole61

This is a pretty basic question that I don't have the awnser to. Can I run 2000w on a 20 amp breaker? Can I add Vortex 8" fan to that ( it pulls 1.93 amps)?

Natural

Natural

This is a pretty basic question that I don't have the awnser to. Can I run 2000w on a 20 amp breaker? Can I add Vortex 8" fan to that ( it pulls 1.93 amps)?
The quick answer is no..but lets break it down a little.
It's not so basic a question really...assuming you have a 120v 20amp breaker and not a 220v, and that you have digital ballast and not magnetic..then we can do some math. The 2000 watts of ballast lighting is gonna run approx. 16.6 amps for a lumatek brand...add the fan and we are near 18 amps. So using the 80% rule of use for the circuit, you have 16 total amps available. That is really pushing the circuit to it's limit and I cannot recommend it. Safe to say that you could run 1 light and the fan or just run the 2 lights. Running just the two lights..you are right at the cusp of safety limits. Always keep in mind that a power use tester and/or an ammeter handy can tell you what your actual draw of amps are. Brands vary as to how many watts the ballast and bulb actually pull, as do their start/ramp up amps. The mag's being the worst/inefficient. So, I would recommend that you use just one light and the fan on that circuit.

bibbles

bibbles

Let me know what he says I have a similar box. Thanks for the pics
Well, I *know* that I have enough room in the box to pull the 40 amps needed, that was the first hurdle, the next was having space for a 240v breaker, which I have as a result of those extra spaces, the third is actually getting it put in and wired... that's still being figured out, but that part is going to vary from place to place as a result of your floor plan and box location.

I gotta tell ya that anything after 1-2 1000 watt lights..you should look into 220v. It gets to be a pain to provide enough circuit space @120v.

Like you fucking read about!

hiboy

hiboy

You can purchase a quad breaker if you have that type of a panel . It will give you 4 circuits
hiboy

hiboy

hiboy

That looks like a fpe panel.no quads available for it. U should be able to raise that right side up for a 240v breaker. Have an electrician look at it. U dont want to screw up ur phasing.
hb

Latest posts

Top Bottom