Grow Room Electrical

• Thread starter hiboy
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
hiboy

hiboy

Going to pull another #6 for the neutral. So should be to code 3 # 6s and a #8 for the ground.
I plan to use 1 grounding rod (the meter panel is already grounded with a rod) at the main panel which at the moment has a bonded grounding bus. I think I will need to remove that right?
No leave everything alone in the main panel and just add your new 4 wires hot hot neutral ground

hiboy

hiboy

Hey @hiboy ! Awesome thread, really appreciate the help!! So I live in a house that about 30 years old and have set up in my basement to grow. In a separate room in the basement used to be the washer and dryer so i believe there is a 220 or 240 plug in there, i forget which it is. Basically i was looking for an answer on what type of sub panel or how big of a sub panel i will need for my expansion, or basically what to ask the electrician for. Okay so this is all going to be in a 15 by 11.5ft room. I want to have it all on 120 plugs if possible. I will just list all the equipment:
-8in hood with 2 1k lamps in it powered by 2 1k digital Galaxy Gro Amp ballast
-Mars reflector series 192
-8in inline fan
-6in inline fan
-8in can fan x2
-6in can fan x2
-2 small commercial humidifiers (one for each tent)(they are the small ideal-air ones model 700860)
-1 70pint dehumidifier
-1 10,000btu window a/c unit
-8 small 6in clip on fans
-4 small 8-10in oscillating fans

Again I have no idea about anything electrical and just don't wanna get screwed...if you could possibly give my an idea of the size sup panel i would need to power a room with all that stuff in it on 120v plugs. Any and all info will be greatly appreciated! Please and thank you!
50 amps at 240 should take care of you which is number 6 wire. If you want more than that you will have to set up the number 4 wire and that is rated at 90 amps

M

Mr. Greenjeans

Post any questions for electrical advice here.
hb
Hello Hiboy,
I have an old 250w MH that I use in a small closet.
My question is can I take this ballast and rebuild it with a 400w rebuild kit?
If so would I need to replace the light socket and power cord?
Money is a bit tight and I was looking to up my light intensity without spending a lot of $.
The kit would cost about 56.00 + shipping , a lot less than a new setup.
Thanks for your advice

hiboy

hiboy

Hello Hiboy,
Money is a bit tight and I was looking to up my light intensity without spending a lot of $.
Thanks for your advice
I've never tried this... But the socket is rated for sure. I'm pretty sure the cord can handle it also. 99/9% sure
Hb

R

Randog3

Hello Hiboy,
Thanks for your advice

I would hit craigslist or ebay before I try to rebuild a ballast.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/160683...7290-0%26rvr_id%3D981483970848&chn=ps&lpid=82
Not sure if that link works buts it's a 400 w set up for 90 bucks.

M

Mr. Greenjeans

I've never tried this... But the socket is rated for sure. I'm pretty sure the cord can handle it also. 99/9% sure
Hb
99/9% sure?
Close enough for me !
Thanks for letting me pick your brain.

R

Randog3

Yeah the link works, very very tempting but I'm always a bit leery of ebay.
Did you ever buy from this seller before?

No I just googled it. To me time is money and the easier I can make my job the better my life is. Im sure there is some sort of warranty. I run all my equipment hard until it blows and take it back under warranty and never have problems. Some might think my strat is dumb but like I said time is money for me.

E

ezpete

Received a letter in the mail from my power company placing a hold on my account until they can get into my newly built garage to inspect for alterations to the electrical system. I do have a large setup and some pretty heavy duty equipment. I have been operating safely in there for about 8.5 months. Everything is safely wired but very probably not up to code I'm sure, it was however up to code upon completing the final build on it almost a year ago. I have 320 amp service to my home and garage and have been assured by my electrician that I'm not pulling an excessive load. Feels wrong to me to allow a state employee into my private residence that I don't want in there. The power company assumes that some alterations were made but they have no way of knowing that for sure. My bills have been very expensive since I have gotten going full bore but who says I haven't decided to heat my home with an oven and clothes dryer? Curious to hear from anyone who has any thoughts with how to proceed. I'm planning on talking to a lawyer but not sure what type of lawyer would be best in a situation like this.

fishwhistle

fishwhistle

Received a letter in the mail from my power company placing a hold on my account until they can get into my newly built garage to inspect for alterations to the electrical system. I do have a large setup and some pretty heavy duty equipment. I have been operating safely in there for about 8.5 months. Everything is safely wired but very probably not up to code I'm sure, it was however up to code upon completing the final build on it almost a year ago. I have 320 amp service to my home and garage and have been assured by my electrician that I'm not pulling an excessive load. Feels wrong to me to allow a state employee into my private residence that I don't want in there. The power company assumes that some alterations were made but they have no way of knowing that for sure. My bills have been very expensive since I have gotten going full bore but who says I haven't decided to heat my home with an oven and clothes dryer? Curious to hear from anyone who has any thoughts with how to proceed. I'm planning on talking to a lawyer but not sure what type of lawyer would be best in a situation like this.
Sounds like total BS to me,I say tell them to fuck off.Power companies are not the police and cant demand entry and if your up to code is none of their business.Their concern is 1)you pay your bill 2)your not stealing their power.If they think you are stealing power they should go to law enforcement,they are not the law.

E

ezpete

Any and all alterations to any electrical work is required to be permitted and inspected. I just got done reading the service contract that I have with my power company

dorjewright

dorjewright

I did all the required correction. #6 wire for the 2 hots and neutral; #8 for the ground, all the way from meter to panel. My last question: I believe the neutral bar should not be bonded to the box - am I correct?

dorjewright

dorjewright

Didn't see this response Hiboy. Thanks for all the help. But about the neutral bar - unbonded, correct?

hiboy

hiboy

Didn't see this response Hiboy. Thanks for all the help. But about the neutral bar - unbonded, correct?
Yes sub panels are isolated neutrals isolated grounds
main panels are bonded.
Neutral wires do not touch the can on subs

dorjewright

dorjewright

Hiboy, not sure I understand. Because the grow room panel is the first and only panel after the meter, its a main panel right? So then the neutral bar would be unbonded and the ground bonded?

But to back up, the box is right now being used as the sub panel with power coming from the main panel in the house. I'm disconnecting this power and connecting new power directly from the meter making it a main panel. I seem to remember adding a bonded grounding bar when it was a sub panel. I don't think I changed anything with the neutral bar so it should be isolated already anyway.
So bonded ground and isolated neutral is that correct?

Hope I'm not being to pedantic but I want to get it right - the first time.

Top Bottom