grow room idea!

• Thread starter chrisg2121
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
C

chrisg2121

Okay so I've been wanting to grow for quite a while now I've had a couple failed attempts I have no experience growing or in building grow rooms but I've been researching n I've came up with this idea for a grow room that looks like a closet storage box I don't want anyone to know its a grow room cuz I'm trying to keep this on the dl lol I want a detachable top so I can have access to the plants n I wanna have my intake n exhaust fans on the floor of the box so they're outta sight I want carbon filters inside on both fans n completely airproof the whole box its gonna have wheels so it'll give the fans space to breathe I just don't know if it'll work out good with the setup I have so I'm open to any ideas or changes I could do to it thanks here are the pics

http://i684.invalid.com/albums/vv207/chrizzg/IMAG0071.jpg

http://i684.invalid.com/albums/vv207/chrizzg/IMAG0072.jpg

http://i684.invalid.com/albums/vv207/chrizzg/IMAG0073.jpg

D

DrGreenLean

Hey man!

A couple of things... Ok so 40" high.. I take it you'll be growing lowryders or "smaller" plants? Can you reach down and fiddle with things at the bottom of the grow unit? Would be a bit tricky when the ladies are in full bloom or for that matter veg, depending on how high you go! Also at 40"... Pretty tall stretch for any man or womens arm to reach down without causing some stress to the plants.

Also.. 2 carbon filters? Not to sure why you'd need two? Thats taking up a fair wack of space for no reason... Just get a decent carbon filter... Just the one! :P

Finally... I'd suggest having one exhaust fan as again, they are pretty big. Even the 4mm is a decent size for a grow tent /storage box / cupboard. I'd also suggest having this at the top of the unit as heat / smell rises! At the bottom you'll just be sucking cold air out, or certainly cooler air than if at the top. Plus the ducting factor too... You can't have two ducts coming out the top and claim it's a storage unit lol. Not in my opinion. Personally an intake at the bottom and exhaust at the top with carbon filter attached to the exhaust is all you'll need. I can't imagine you'll be using a large light wattage for that space. So I'm guessing the above is my best advice. Although I know LED's run cooler than a HID light but there are test forum posts all over the place telling the qualities between the two lighting mediums. :sun

Oh and the 6" at the bottoms a brill idea. Will draw cool air right smack bang in the middle of the plants. Aim for a temp of 24 - 27 oC.

Here's a couple of pics of my set-up. I'm using a 4" Exhaust fan, without the carbon filter attached as I'm in early veg (don't waste your carbon filter!!). So you can gage what sizes you're looking at generally... I grow in jardin .8m x .8m x 1.4m tent.

IMG_7761.JPG

IMG_7765.JPG

Hope this helps and happy growing!

DrGL

C

chrisg2121

I was just thinking 2 carbon filters cuz wouldnt smell be able to escape thru the intake too? N I decided to make the room a whole 4 feet lol n would there be any possible way that I could make side doors n make em airtight too I'm mainly worried about smell

D

DrGreenLean

Well where will your ducting be leading to? Will it be running to a vent that blows the smell outside? The reason I ask is because the carbon filters don't reduce the smell all together. What I mean is, you can still smell it even if only slightly in the best of situations. I've never known anyone to completely rid their house or certainly the room where the grows taking place of a minor smell of cannabis. :bong-hits:

Anywho.. an intake would just be blowing air in to the unit so in theory the carbon filter attached would be pointless. In my opinion. You can make side doors and make them air tight if you know what you're doing I guess yea. No problem, but may be a bit tricky for a novice. I'd invest in a grow tent and try hanging a few clothes off it on the outside to pass it off as a trendy clothes cupboard... That's what I do and it kinda works to people who have NO idea about growing etc lol.

Oh and the unit wont ever be air tight I don't think. You have an extractor, intake and 6" fan. All three with holes that can't be sealed leading to the outside world. :beer

You need some seriously durable ducting to carry the smell and ensure there's no leaks (cheap plastic ducting just wont do!). An upmarket carbon filter and extractor fan and make sure you're pumping the right amount of air in with the intake as ideally it needs to match the suction ratio (I have no idea about those!) etc. So yea, wont be a cheap job if you want NO smell at all.

C

chrisg2121

hmmm

Well I have a little window in my closet i can have it leading out that way n ima have my closet door sealed n my room door sealed would that help keep the smell outta my house? N yea I know I've been trying to figure out a way to make it airtight I can't figure out how n im more like a DIY type of guy lol i was lookin into em tho they look pretty sick

D

DrGreenLean

Well I have a little window in my closet i can have it leading out that way n ima have my closet door sealed n my room door sealed would that help keep the smell outta my house? N yea I know I've been trying to figure out a way to make it airtight I can't figure out how n im more like a DIY type of guy lol i was lookin into em tho they look pretty sick

It would help yes! But I honestly don't think you'll get away with a smell free grow with 4 plants! Sorry man! Although... Like I say, I'm still a novice so I can't really 100% say for sure that it's going to pong like hell! I'm sure some people have done similar things and passed without smells, how or what they did I don't know. Certainly from my experience and mates etc, it's not going to be easy lol. :friday:

Top Bottom