grow room questions

• Thread starter king_kronic
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
K

king_kronic

im a new grower i have 3 strains growing a blackjack ... sour candy ...and a dinafem industrial plant....my row room is 4ft long....6 feet high and 3.5 ft wide .... i have these growing under a 400 watt mh/hps switchable ballast is this enough room for all 3 plants or do i need to remove one of the plants

motherlode

motherlode

@Rolln_J
Supporter
thats plenty of room - but maybe not enough light

hiboy

hiboy

IT will be tite, so i would stagger them like a V design, that will maximize your sq ft.
h

K

king_kronic

400 more watts

would you recomend that i get another 400 wats or switch to a 600 watt system

K

king_kronic

if i did decide to remove a plant and put it outside would that stress it out being that i live in he south . and keep the other strains in the closet

motherlode

motherlode

@Rolln_J
Supporter
600 would be perfect for that space

as far as an outdoor plant not sure what part of the south - ie - what your temps are like

gets over 100 here and most plants seem to do allright

K

king_kronic

if i decided to stick with the 400 watt how many plants is that more suiteable for

motherlode

motherlode

@Rolln_J
Supporter
2 - maybe 3 if you keep them on the small side

like hiboy mentioned a v - he means shortest plant directly under and the other 2 on either side

you can make it work for you

but if you want to maximize that space upgrade to a 600 down the road

B

blayzed76

im a new grower i have 3 strains growing a blackjack ... sour candy ...and a dinafem industrial plant....my row room is 4ft long....6 feet high and 3.5 ft wide .... i have these growing under a 400 watt mh/hps switchable ballast is this enough room for all 3 plants or do i need to remove one of the plants
you are looking for lumens per square foot...far as i know 3,000 lumens per square foot is a minimum...so what you do is take your bulb lumens total, divide it by square footage of canopy (length times width) and that gives you your lumens per square foot. as long as your 3,000 or higher you will do fine...

u can use my grow pics as an example if u like, i am also using a 400w hps, now i trimmed a lot so canopy space is doubled so i only have 2 but without doing jog or trimming a 400w can easily do 4 or 5 plants just fine with decent quality yields

a 4 x 4 room with a 55,000 lumens 400w hps bulb is 3437.5 lumens per square foot of canopy...hope this helps

motherlode

motherlode

@Rolln_J
Supporter
never heard the lumens psf - thats new on me

usually the rule is 50-75 watts psf

I normally say 1000 watts over 4 x 4 minimum - but you have low ceiling and 1k puts out some heat

B

blayzed76

never heard the lumens psf - thats new on me
Do not use watts when calculating the light output. Watts represents how much power is being used, not how much light is being generated. For example, according to the Department of Energy, it takes 100 watts for an incandescent bulb to generate about 1,600 lumens, but it only takes between 23 and 30 watts for a compact fluorescent bulb to generate the same amount of light.

Read more: How to Calculate Lumens Per Square Foot | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/how_5616720_calculate-lumens-per-square-foot.html#ixzz1QS6B4amZ

pulled that from a site i have bookmarked (its an online gardening mag)

http://www.ehow.com/how_5999271_compute-lumens-per-square-foot.html

B

Big Bud Boy

If you use an "Adjusta-wing" reflector with the "SUPER SPREADER" you can get the lamp/reflector right on top of your plants, closer than any other reflector. The "Super Spreader" diffuses the hot spot in the bulb allowing you to get real close. A 400W bulb at 10" will provide as many lumens as a 600W bulb at 20". Check out their product.

Peace; Big Bud Boy

Top Bottom