Grow room too hot and humid.

• Thread starter memnoch
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
memnoch

memnoch

I posted this before I went on vacation, but the thread has died. So, I'm going to repost and hope for some good advice from you folks. My homemade grow room that is subject to the heat and cold outside, Is almost always to dang hot and humid. It is currently at 71.4 temp (I'm happy with that atm) and 83.7 hum (not happy at all) The ac infinity cloud line T4 I purchased has made a decent change in the temp, but I don't think it will keep up when it gets in the 90.s and 100s outside. I have another vent to vent out some air if it comes to that and it probably will. My lights can only handle up to 105F. My room is covered in a layer of tarps under some mylar. Mainly to help keep the smell down outside. The road is only 20-30 ft from my house and a officer lives just down the road. :( Really worried about the smell when it really starts to flower properly.
My room is roughly 4x3x6. So not to much space either. I'm growing 3 auto crit Kush. My lights are 2 VIPARSPECTRA P1000 LED. Like I said before I have the AC Infinity CLOUDLINE T4, Quiet 4” for Inline Duct Fan with Temperature Humidity Controller for an exhaust and carbon filter to help with the smell. Also, the AC Infinity CLOUDRAY S6, Grow Tent Clip Fan 6” with 10-Speeds, EC-Motor, Weatherproof IP-44, Auto Oscillation, Quiet Hydroponics Circulation Cooling fan. I wish I would have got an AC Infinity light system so I could run it all off of my phone, but I'll just have to run the Viparspectra until they go out, then get some.

How can i get the humidity and temp lower without buying a dehumidifier or anything else for that matter. I'm really strapped for cash; I have put all I had left into this already. I can't even buy anything from the shops around here to smoke atm. If you do not know another way that's free or at least very cheap, then please tell me a small quit dehumidifier that I can get that does not cost a lot of money. And any way available to keep my temp down when it gets to hot again.

SchwiftyGrower

SchwiftyGrower

Supporter
I posted this before I went on vacation, but the thread has died. So, I'm going to repost and hope for some good advice from you folks. My homemade grow room that is subject to the heat and cold outside, Is almost always to dang hot and humid. It is currently at 71.4 temp (I'm happy with that atm) and 83.7 hum (not happy at all) The ac infinity cloud line T4 I purchased has made a decent change in the temp, but I don't think it will keep up when it gets in the 90.s and 100s outside. I have another vent to vent out some air if it comes to that and it probably will. My lights can only handle up to 105F. My room is covered in a layer of tarps under some mylar. Mainly to help keep the smell down outside. The road is only 20-30 ft from my house and a officer lives just down the road. :( Really worried about the smell when it really starts to flower properly.
My room is roughly 4x3x6. So not to much space either. I'm growing 3 auto crit Kush. My lights are 2 VIPARSPECTRA P1000 LED. Like I said before I have the AC Infinity CLOUDLINE T4, Quiet 4” for Inline Duct Fan with Temperature Humidity Controller for an exhaust and carbon filter to help with the smell. Also, the AC Infinity CLOUDRAY S6, Grow Tent Clip Fan 6” with 10-Speeds, EC-Motor, Weatherproof IP-44, Auto Oscillation, Quiet Hydroponics Circulation Cooling fan. I wish I would have got an AC Infinity light system so I could run it all off of my phone, but I'll just have to run the Viparspectra until they go out, then get some.

How can i get the humidity and temp lower without buying a dehumidifier or anything else for that matter. I'm really strapped for cash; I have put all I had left into this already. I can't even buy anything from the shops around here to smoke atm. If you do not know another way that's free or at least very cheap, then please tell me a small quit dehumidifier that I can get that does not cost a lot of money. And any way available to keep my temp down when it gets to hot again.
So I’m kind of in the same boat as you, but sadly I don’t know of a cheap solution.

My lung room is an attached room to my outdoor laundry room. So the door isn’t fully sealed and will incorporate the outdoor environment if I don’t manage it.

I had to seal my back door with tarp and cut holes to lead my exhaust hose out and taped it closed.

I do have a very small dehu for the room because it’s only 5x4 room and barely fits my 3x3 tent. I also have a portable AC and will only use it during the last 4 weeks of flowering.

If you can’t afford devices to control your environment then airflow and exhaust is you’re only best option with maybe a swamp cooler and some humidity bags.

memnoch

memnoch

So I’m kind of in the same boat as you, but sadly I don’t know of a cheap solution.

My lung room is an attached room to my outdoor laundry room. So the door isn’t fully sealed and will incorporate the outdoor environment if I don’t manage it.

I had to seal my back door with tarp and cut holes to lead my exhaust hose out and taped it closed.

I do have a very small dehu for the room because it’s only 5x4 room and barely fits my 3x3 tent. I also have a portable AC and will only use it during the last 4 weeks of flowering.

If you can’t afford devices to control your environment then airflow and exhaust is you’re only best option with maybe a swamp cooler and some humidity bags.
yes, we are in a similar situation. mine if completely outside though and it can really get hot in that little room. never hear of humid bags before though. I'm going to check those out ty.

SchwiftyGrower

SchwiftyGrower

Supporter
They work in a pinch, but if you buy enough…you’ve basically bought a small dehu 😉

01F3A6F5 D481 4FC6 B8F3 AB4C0C9F3EC9
memnoch

memnoch

They work in a pinch, but if you buy enough…you’ve basically bought a small dehu 😉
ty Schwifty, but I just order some that are in little containers. Missed this by a few seconds lol. I'll try yours out when these go bad. I'm guessing they don't last forever. Scratch that you have used these before and they work. I'll just cancel that and get these. Ty again.

Scrogger2190

Scrogger2190

I was once in a situation where I was in a shed pulling outside air in and conditioning it completely on the inside. The way I managed it was with a portable a/c like one that has a 6" vent hose out the back. I ran that into a 6" INLINE carbon filter. Inline is the key word here. It has 2 ports for ducts instead of the one and the filter is completely contained inside the canister. It only pulls from the duct going in and pushes out another 6" duct. I installed a dryer vent on the outside ro make it look semi legit. Seal your area off with tarps, the a/c should also pull humidity from the air as it cools. Use a 4" inline fan to pull your air in. I opted to pull in through a 4" carbon scrubber because the air was fairly dirty. Make sure your intake is smaller than your out take so you create negative pressure. This is the biggest deal for smell! Other than that keep fans in there for airflow. Put you one of those neat-o stick on zippers on your tarp and good to go :) only expensive part is getting ahold of a portable a/c. And if it can't keep up with humidity you can get a small dehumidifier. (I had a 1gal tank dehumidifier for $70)

memnoch

memnoch

I was once in a situation where I was in a shed pulling outside air in and conditioning it completely on the inside. The way I managed it was with a portable a/c like one that has a 6" vent hose out the back. I ran that into a 6" INLINE carbon filter. Inline is the key word here. It has 2 ports for ducts instead of the one and the filter is completely contained inside the canister. It only pulls from the duct going in and pushes out another 6" duct. I installed a dryer vent on the outside ro make it look semi legit. Seal your area off with tarps, the a/c should also pull humidity from the air as it cools. Use a 4" inline fan to pull your air in. I opted to pull in through a 4" carbon scrubber because the air was fairly dirty. Make sure your intake is smaller than your out take so you create negative pressure. This is the biggest deal for smell! Other than that keep fans in there for airflow. Put you one of those neat-o stick on zippers on your tarp and good to go :) only expensive part is getting ahold of a portable a/c. And if it can't keep up with humidity you can get a small dehumidifier. (I had a 1gal tank dehumidifier for $70)
I did same thing with drier vent for my little space. Still looks odd though. There is no reason to have anything in that room that needs a vent. It's not all that noticeable but anyone with a brain or experience should be able to figure out what's going on in there. :( Putting more vents is scary. But I do think some kind of intake blower, or better yet a small ac like you mentioned. Would you maybe show me the one you have please. Also what is the purpose of the floor fans? I'm assuming they are blowing upwards.

Last edited:
SchwiftyGrower

SchwiftyGrower

Supporter
I did same thing with drier vent for my little space. Still looks odd though. There is no reason to have anything in that room that needs a vent. It's not all that noticeable but anyone with a brain or experience should be able to figure out what's going on in there. :( Putting more vents is scary. But I do think some kind of intake blower, or better yet a small ac like you mentioned. Would you maybe show me the one you have please. Also what is the purpose of the floor fans? I'm assuming they are blowing upwards.
This is what I personally use. Not gonna lie though, I felt it on my power bill during the month I use it.

558CD983 75EB 4229 A391 33122DD1623E
memnoch

memnoch

wow these things are really pricey as it is. can do with ought more on my power bill too. Man, I hope those dehumidifying bags help. I'm so dang poor at the moment. We have been getting hammered over the past two years with stuff breaking and needing replaced in our house. We had almost 1k in electric bills through nov and dec from our heat pump going out. had to replace it and air handler. Have had nothing but bad luck for too long now. I'm almost tapped out.

Scrogger2190

Scrogger2190

Pretty much close to same model as what swifty posted. As far as the fans I usually keep 2 vertical standups on the ground to oscillate under the canopy and 2 wall mount oscillators for above/through canopy. I also use 4 clip on fans in top of each corner facing the next corner in clockwise fashion to create sort of a "cyclone" pattern to make sure the air gets distributed. My rooms require a lot of airflow because of how thick my canopy gets. I wouldn't recommend all of the airflow I use unless your canopy is super dense or if you have humidity problems. My canopy gets dense enough to produce very close to 2lbs out of 4x4

SchwiftyGrower

SchwiftyGrower

Supporter
I've flowered over 110F⁰. And it was a good grow. If you have to go hot do it right.
I dunno man, terps degrade and break down over 100, I wouldn’t do it.

E

elusiveshame

Personally I’d go with a medium dehumidifier or a portable ac. You’ll eventually need to replace the humidity packs (and possibly need a lot of them for a room), so you’ll be spending more in the long run.

If you’re serious about your grow, I wouldn’t cut corners. Besides, you can use a dehumidifier or portable ac anytime/anywhere when you aren’t growing.

Captspaulding

Captspaulding

What’s the matter? Don’t like clowns? 🤡
Supporter
Personally I’d go with a medium dehumidifier or a portable ac. You’ll eventually need to replace the humidity packs (and possibly need a lot of them for a room), so you’ll be spending more in the long run.

If you’re serious about your grow, I wouldn’t cut corners. Besides, you can use a dehumidifier or portable ac anytime/anywhere when you aren’t growing.
A portable ac is a good option, I will say though, a 5000 btu unit would do just fine in a space your size, acs are dehumidifiers as well so you can kill 2 birds with one stone. An 8000 btu is overkill for that space and will crush your wallet.

Captspaulding

Captspaulding

Supporter
This is what would fix alot of folks issues without a giant monthly bill, it’s a 2500 btu unit made for camping, but it’s a legit ac, not a swamp box, perfect for the grow room dimensions of alot of folk on here. has dehumidifier, and a 4 in heat exhaust tube. The prices are still crazy on these things, but as soon as the tech patents wear out everyone will be making these things for cheap. In the not so distant future. When will then be now? Hopefully soon. Hahaha

IMG 6709
BigBlonde

BigBlonde

It's surprising how much the ambient weather conditions affect the climate in the growing space. We used a portable A/C unit last summer. It worked okay. We also worried about what the neighbors might think, but they didn't seem to notice. Eventually, we moved our growing operation from a room behind our garage to a spare bedroom, which of course is inside the house. We did that because the bedroom was more isolated from the weather outside. It's also safer from pests.

One thing about A/C is that the humidity level can't be set. At least, I've never seen a way to do it. Neither our portable unit nor our home A/C has that feature. They default to about 50%. That's good for humans and the plants are okay with it, I think. We don't use our house A/C for our current "lung" room, aka spare bedroom. Instead, we have a dehumidifier in there set to 60%. The atmosphere inside the two tents is usually close to that. So far, I've only needed to run the dehumidifier when plants are flowering.

Captspaulding

Captspaulding

Supporter
It's surprising how much the ambient weather conditions affect the climate in the growing space. We used a portable A/C unit last summer. It worked okay. We also worried about what the neighbors might think, but they didn't seem to notice. Eventually, we moved our growing operation from a room behind our garage to a spare bedroom, which of course is inside the house. We did that because the bedroom was more isolated from the weather outside. It's also safer from pests.

One thing about A/C is that the humidity level can't be set. At least, I've never seen a way to do it. Neither our portable unit nor our home A/C has that feature. They default to about 50%. That's good for humans and the plants are okay with it, I think. We don't use our house A/C for our current "lung" room, aka spare bedroom. Instead, we have a dehumidifier in there set to 60%. The atmosphere inside the two tents is usually close to that. So far, I've only needed to run the dehumidifier when plants are flowering.
Most portable acs these days have the option to either a) set the thermostat or b) humidity % level.

Top Bottom