Grow Setup

• Thread starter greenthumb89
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
greenthumb89

greenthumb89

Hello

I was hoping to get some awnsers as to what I should do in regards to growing one plant, I have a 400 watt metal halide bulb with a dimmable 400 watt ballast that's capable of both mh and hps. Should I get a small tent and maybe run an aircon in the window with ducting leading from it to the grow tent and have an exit duct leading back outside? And does anyone know if the grow tents "traps" the heat in a sense. I noticed the light was obviously getting pretty warm and heated up my room. I also sleep in this room so I need the plant in some kind of enclosure of a sort so is a tent my best bet? or with just one plant is it possible to "build" something? I saw insulation at home depot like the insulation board with reflective material on it and was wondering if I could possibly build a small enclosure and have ducting run into it from outside to cool it down? or woujdl that be a fire hazard ya think? any input?

Wildill

Wildill

What I would do is build 3x3 room with 2x2 and make the walls out of white poly plastic. Get a 4inch fan for intake place it at the bottom for intake. 6 inch fan up top to exhaust have the exhaust fan on timer to exhaust for one min or so every few hours. What size pot do you plan to use? Since your only doing one plant I would do a SCROG good luck!

greenthumb89

greenthumb89

yeah I guess that would be a lot cheaper than buying a tent hey? Would I need to cool my metal halide though/ because it doesn't have a hood or anything when I bought it. I'm an architectural sheet metal worker so I was thinking of maybe building a hood for it with an opening for a small fan to sit in it to blow air on it?

Wildill

Wildill

yeah I guess that would be a lot cheaper than buying a tent hey? Would I need to cool my metal halide though/ because it doesn't have a hood or anything when I bought it. I'm an architectural sheet metal worker so I was thinking of maybe building a hood for it with an opening for a small fan to sit in it to blow air on it?
With a 4oo watt you dont necessary they don't put off much heat with the intake and exhaust fans will keep your temps in check

greenthumb89

greenthumb89

would I notice the heat ALOT because the grow is in my bedroom. where I sleep.

Grassroot432

Grassroot432

I do not believe so.. maybe if your exhaust was really close to your bed. I currently have a similar situation.. (walk in closet with 600 hps exhaust running to my bedroom as that is the only feasible option and do not want shit running from every which way) maybe a few degrees but hardly qualify for ALOT. IMO

greenthumb89

greenthumb89

this is what I have to work with, what would you say my best set up would be?
Room3
Room 1
Room5
Light
Room2

greenthumb89

greenthumb89

as you can see my window is close to where I'm growing so I want to take advantage of that obviously and wanted to know a way I could I guess use that without looking conspicuous to neighbours? a note to be made is this is a basement suite so it's a very low window at foot level so its' not really at eye level or one any floors. and another thing is my light bulb didn't come with a hood I was thinking of maybe building a hood out of sheet metal and making an opening for a small fan to sit in it to blow cool air on it? or is that over kill for one 400 watt metal halide

Grassroot432

Grassroot432

Personally, I would go with pvc and poly. Seems like it would be all around better to work with. I deal with sheet metal all the time and know that would work well for reflection. It may get really hot depending on the style of hood you decide fits your needs. So I would look into a makeshift hood if you are on a budget. Sure there is plenty of DIY on the internet. As far As the fan for a 400 MH.. It would not hurt but I do not believe it would benefit much. Your plants would be happier with that air running along their tops.

greenthumb89

greenthumb89

Yeah I figured the pvc would be better just because of how light it would be and the poly would give more "tight" air control. so do you think I should get a air cooled vent for the bulb or are you saying the warmer air would be better ?

Grassroot432

Grassroot432

If you do decide to go with sheet metal.. be sure the surface is slick and smooth to get the most out of it

greenthumb89

greenthumb89

I was just going to go with flat stock white probably 20 guage or so.

Grassroot432

Grassroot432

In a small space the bulb would be warm regardless of the fan. As would the top of your cabinet. The warm "stale" air does not benifet the plants. At least not in Texas. We try to keep our plants cool as the weather can get pretty harsh and dry. The cool air from the fan would help keep the temp down near your plants and in a small space, help push the heat out..... 20 gauge would be good.

greenthumb89

greenthumb89

alright so if I set up my poly pvc tent and have a fan connected to the top of the "tent" blowing the warm air out and have a fan at the bottom blowing/sucking air in from the room would that be sufficient ? I'm just curious about the cooling and all that like if the light bulb is csa theirs not a chance of the bulb getting too hot and exploding? is the purpose of cooling the bulb just so the grow tent doesn't heat up? and if that's the reason would one fan blowing out hot air and blowing in cool be good enough?

Grassroot432

Grassroot432

I am no expert but I believe the primary purpose of a fan is to cool the "tent"... Ballasts, breakers and a good wiring job is your best bet on not having something blow up. Your would want your intake of "cool" air at the bottom. Exhaust near the top. Two fans should be enough for 400w assuming your wattage to plant to space ratio is within reason

Grassroot432

Grassroot432

If you will have a fixed fixture it would not make a huge difference, but would give you a little extra room to grow those nice top colas :) it will allow your light to sit closer to your plants, therefore giving them more light.. So if you have a few plants that 400w is already generous enough for them. But again, it would not hurt. They might even thank you for it ;)

Wildill

Wildill

The 2 fans will be fine. You can also get great results just using the bare bulb vertically hanging

Grassroot432

Grassroot432

^^^^ He is right... Comes down to how much coin you have to toss around. Take care of them and they will take care of you.

greenthumb89

greenthumb89

hmmm. well if the bulb is fine just hanging vertically I might just go with that. Since I only have one plant and I'll have it ina fairly big area for just one I think i'll go with a fan blowing air in on the bottom and a fan blowing hot air out at the top and just have the light hang from the pvc pipe.

Latest posts

Top Bottom