Grow space big enough for 400w?

• Thread starter WESTCRAZY1
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
W

WESTCRAZY1

Hi, i was wondering will a grow room with these measurements work with a 400w mh/hps light? 3.5ft tall, 3ft wide and 1.5ft deep. How many intake and exhaust fan/vent will it need? Thanks.

A

astartes

It's going to be tight to be honest. Your biggest issue will be cooling. A 4" inline fan is a must with a carbon scrubber. An 8"x8" passive intake should be plenty. You'll need to keep the plants small by training them for sure. Figure 42" to start. 12" to hang the hood with a minimum of 6-8" gap between the hood and plant tops. That leaves 24" for total plant/pot height. Pots are 6" tall, so you're looking at 18" tall plants at a maximum in that space. Doable if you have the money to do it correctly, but likely frustrating if you don't put the correct equipment in to start.

a.

jadins_journey

jadins_journey

Supporter
It's going to be tight to be honest. Your biggest issue will be cooling. A 4" inline fan is a must with a carbon scrubber. An 8"x8" passive intake should be plenty. You'll need to keep the plants small by training them for sure. Figure 42" to start. 12" to hang the hood with a minimum of 6-8" gap between the hood and plant tops. That leaves 24" for total plant/pot height. Pots are 6" tall, so you're looking at 18" tall plants at a maximum in that space. Doable if you have the money to do it correctly, but likely frustrating if you don't put the correct equipment in to start.

a.

yep, yes sir, and hell yea. Other than the point about the distance between reflector and bud this is dead on target info. Had plants grow up into the hood of a 400 once, not good but they teach you how to 'CROP!

Good info a.

A

astartes

Do you think you can get the tops closer JJ? I'm assuming a cool tube or air-cooled hood for sure. I always used to be able to get 6" away from the canopy (not including the couple inches the bulb snugs up in the hood) without any radiant burn or bleaching with my old air-cooled hood in a similar setup. I don't think having an open hood would even be an option in this space:)

a.

jadins_journey

jadins_journey

Supporter
Do you think you can get the tops closer JJ? I'm assuming a cool tube or air-cooled hood for sure. I always used to be able to get 6" away from the canopy (not including the couple inches the bulb snugs up in the hood) without any radiant burn or bleaching with my old air-cooled hood in a similar setup. I don't think having an open hood would even be an option in this space:)

a.

was just a fun post to emphasize the need for proper training in veg and how I made mistakes along the way a. Only pun intended was at myself.

jj

Top Bottom