Grow Space For Lease?

• Thread starter kuz
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
K

kuz

I want to get a grow license. I will have to start small, and a lot of people have already told me its a stupid idea, that dont matter. I understand Denver is kind of locked down, thats okay, I dont really want to move back there anyway. Just asking around to see if anyone knows of anything for lease on a smaller scale. I cant afford to get into something huge. A deal where someone has built out space and already done all the work to make it legal. I'm thinking greenhouse space under 2500 sq ft., maybe up to 5000. Indoors about 1000' sq ft for bloom, another 300? for veg and moms. If you shared some common areas for security rooms, bathrooms, trim rooms and storage.

I could get a license in the town where I live, if I could find the right property. But most the town is zoned out for growing. I can only find a couple of suitable buildings, nothing available to lease.

I dont know anybody in the legal market, pretty much out of loop with whats happening. I pay attention to whats going on locally, but no clue about the rest of the state. I've heard of two places planning to rent grow space to growers here in Huerfano county, they are talking a much larger scale than I can get into.

derkaderk

derkaderk

Pretty sure that would run you several million, not to mention impossible....I think.

Doesn't CO make you go through rigiorous liscencing for the individual to become sanctioned by the state? I would assume this would mean that you personally would need to file the paperwork, or at least have your name added to/transfered into your care via the legal paperwork. This process can take 30-90 days or longer, and they may even make you re-file for the entire op....which is a big chunk of cash.

I would suggest you start by contacting local municipalities and find which cities and counties have the cheapest filing vs. Profit potential, as well as zoning maps!!!( probably the most important aspect)

So like I said at the beginning I'm unsure of how the legal framework for transfer of business would shake out. I think to get your specific answers you'll need to speak with someone from the state, local government, or even someone more familiar to the startup process in CO.

Hopefully this thread will get some attention and the info you need.

Cheers, good luck
D

K

kuz

Derk, its kind of all a big grey area, nobody has all the answers. Renting out grow space to multiple growers makes sense. Most places are limiting the number of grows and shops, but not all. Where is the water going to come from is a big issue.

chickenman

chickenman

Premium Member
Supporter
why not find/start a farm out in country grow in and out..
Can grow more than weed and do well....
LOL. that could have been me stealing and guzzling beer, however I would not have spilled a drop on the full can guzzle...
seriously why not consider a little of this and a little of that.
cut flowers for instance. our friends do very well selling cut flowers at farmers market. Seasonal but a little of this and a little of that insures an income and once again there is so much more to life than growing weed....They take home several thousand dollars each market....
Not easy work however, but they love what they do and that also is payment...
Keep the weed under radar, nothing huge, a little this and a little that can go a long way....
Just enjoy what ever you end up doing...
And remember..Live it up. life's for living, ya that's our philosophy

Last edited:
K

kuz

Ya, thought about that before Chickenman. I worked the markets for years. thought about getting 5 acres somewhere with good dirt and water, planting a bunch of perennials. Or better yet, something like seamaiden is doing with aquaponics, sell the fish and the produce.

But its not a question of if any more, its how and when I'm going to get the license. I know some guys can pull over 5 lbs a plant 12-15 plants, outdoors. Its not really much work when you keep it that small, a lot of time to do other things around the farm. Trim for a month then off tell next spring, I get the appeal. I seen guys work a lot harder, hand water, with 40-50 plus plants and just get oz's off the plants. 1000 times more work for 1/3 the yield, or less. I love the idea of keeping it small and simple and doing it right.

Apollo13

Apollo13

I thought of same thing like the" u storage deal". Have at 50 amps per grow with shared ro water and climage controlled..bugs would suck terrible so the rooms would need to be isolated by ozone or something. I don't think common areas would work unless used one at a time and uv or ozone sterilize before next user.. But the power would be commercial and hardcore..the fire protection would be insane with like halon. And then insurance.. I got the property if cut the red tape...lol cater to hobby or personal use growers with space constraints or privacy issues.. I think it's a great idea.

K

kuz

It would be cool for personal grows also, idk about the laws, i think its been discussed here before. Best thing would be a professionally built space, even if its just 15'x15'. Some of the rooms I seen pictured here on this site blow me away.

I was thinking more for legal licensed grows. There is a mentality out there that unless your doing $5,000,000 a year in sales then its not worth doing the paper work and jumping through the hoops.
What it comes down to is I want to grow 1000's of plants, if have to jump through the hoops, graduate from the product tracking course, lol, i really look forward to that, keeping records, paying taxes, whatever it takes. I think i could make enough money to make it worth while with a couple thousand square feet, but its mostly that I want to grow more and dont want to get caught with 1000 plants without the license.

Apollo13

Apollo13

I was thinking all legal as well. The storage idea I liked because of the different sizes and user access. Then like a house u rent, they rent space by cubic foot and like rent, the space is theirs and can house their legal limit of plants. Main selling points would be fire safety, privacy, and security. Hel,l have a gold service where u run their rooms so the client does nothing but come pick up product. Lol. If feds legalize it, it will happen.

true grit

true grit

Its not really a grey area at all, its very well defined what you can and will be able to do. That said, anything small in size often isn't worth the effort or cost. Not because its small but the initial set up cost to align with state/local regs, tracking, sales, etc adds up. And on top of that prices probably aren't what you'd expect.

K

kuz

You into the legal market grit? Why do you think you know what I expect the price of legal weed to be? I am thinking $2,000 a pound, and I am thinking 30 pounds a month out of a 5000 sq ft greenhouse.

derkaderk

derkaderk

I think 1st that volume, you'll be lucky to get $2,000/lb. Unless you are selling a 1Lb at a time to 30 vendors each month, I really don't think you'll get the $2,000/lb goal.
I really don't think the money is in wholesale, unless you have a ton of contacts ready to pick up your product tomorrow.....honestly, I would look towards another state on the verge of recreational use and get started there....best thing would be to already be somewhat established in the area and industry. CO is becoming saturated, and when other states go legal, I see some exodus from CO in the future. (due to competition and new competitive marketplaces in other states)

I like @chickenman idea of the storage facility.

I think a new idea like that could be successful in CO if you find the legal pathway to do so.

K

kuz

Idk. @derkaderk. I was hoping to get some feedback from people actually growing legally. I hear the price is anywhere from 1200 up to 2400. About the same as black market. Where you from? what are the rules and regs? The giant grow's will eventually overrun everything, but i think we have a couple of years yet. The best model is probably to get the retail and the grow license. Set up shop anywhere there are a lot of out of state visitors, pretty much everywhere in Colorado. I think that was apollo talking about the storage units. I think chickenman was saying fuk all the rules, we need to go back to the 60's. Start a commune grow your own food, enjoy life. Maybe he is right.

In huerfano county you now need a conditional use permit if you have more than 12 plants. If someone reports you the building inspector comes out to inspect the site and tells you to get the permit. lol. The building inspector is now the pot police. How this all plays out is not known yet, only two people I know of have applied for the permit.

@chickenman You live in Montrose county? They banned anything commercial havent they? Are they cracking down on individual plant counts yet? Its only a matter of time. What about the towns in the county, any allow for commercial? Did they put restrictions on the number of grow ops and shops?

chickenman

chickenman

Premium Member
Supporter
Idk. @derkaderk. I was hoping to get some feedback from people actually growing legally. I hear the price is anywhere from 1200 up to 2400. About the same as black market. Where you from? what are the rules and regs? The giant grow's will eventually overrun everything, but i think we have a couple of years yet. The best model is probably to get the retail and the grow license. Set up shop anywhere there are a lot of out of state visitors, pretty much everywhere in Colorado. I think that was apollo talking about the storage units. I think chickenman was saying fuk all the rules, we need to go back to the 60's. Start a commune grow your own food, enjoy life. Maybe he is right.

In huerfano county you now need a conditional use permit if you have more than 12 plants. If someone reports you the building inspector comes out to inspect the site and tells you to get the permit. lol. The building inspector is now the pot police. How this all plays out is not known yet, only two people I know of have applied for the permit.

@chickenman You live in Montrose county? They banned anything commercial havent they? Are they cracking down on individual plant counts yet? Its only a matter of time. What about the towns in the county, any allow for commercial? Did they put restrictions on the number of grow ops and shops?

Montrose Colorado, the armpit of West slope, nowhere near.......thank heavens, really polluted with Ag chem sprays. The Olathe Sweet corn everyone raves about is a chemical popsicle....

K

kuz

Montrose Colorado, the armpit of West slope, nowhere near.......thank heavens, really polluted with Ag chem sprays. The Olathe Sweet corn everyone raves about is a chemical popsicle....
Ya, thats about how i feel about the place. But you are in the same county arent you?

Apollo13

Apollo13

Marlboro has spent millions and is ready when the feds let it go..if u think u can compete with Marlboro or any other tobacco manufacturer, ur mistaken. This is the gold rush time.. imo, there is a small get rich window like CO when dispensaries were making 100 grand a day.. why I like my storage idea because some will want to do it themselves, even after Marlboro has packs of northern lights in the gas station..

derkaderk

derkaderk

Whoops thanks for the correction!

I am from SoCal which is medical only. Its a totally different animal, with hardly any oversight. Prices are always in flux depending on the time of year. I have seen prices from $800-$4000 and plenty others have experienced even higher prices (depending on area, year, local law enforcement raids etc.)

I just think CO is on lock, with the price for entering competitive market is just too high for most small startups. I could see you sinking a million just on acquiring a building and upgrades to power(renting has its own issues) , then the cost of the build out and cost of employees labor for several months before your first harvest. Im definitely not trying to be a downer. I think it's a great venture if you have access to the capital.

K

kuz

I agree
@Apollo13
I like your idea. I think a lot of people will want a secure space outside their home to grow for themselves.

K

kuz

$4000 lbs, ya maybe its time to move out of Colorado. Whats up in Texas, I heard some rumors something could happen there?

I have been going back and forth about this since we legalized. I know it wont be easy. I heard of a big grow south of here, they spent $1,000,000 just on the electric. I dont see how but I heard it from the electrician.

I expected this thread to become about what I cant or shouldnt do but I put it out there anyway, hoping someone might know of some grow space somewhere being leased out on a smaller scale than the ones I am aware of.

I wrote a detailed business plan. That was to try and find someone to invest 1 million. Without that money, i'm thinking something like 30 pounds a month, 5000 sq ft, 60-80 lights for bloom, if i find the right location to lease with the right building, I think I could make that work, even if I had to start off with about half that many lights. I actually found the perfect location, the owners were going to carry the loan, I got them all excited about a grow, now they want cash so they can move out of state, and they are going to market the property as a grow op. its been for sale for years.

Cost to grow the bud $400 a pound, worst case wholesale price $1000 pound. I've heard numbers all over the place but thats what I'm going with. I dont expect to sell anything for 9 months.

This aint about getting rich and competing with marlboro, yes i expect to make a profit, but i wouldnt go through all this for money. Build out a basement and grow 100 pounds a year, so much less headache. The game of stacking medical cards is over, for me anyway. Start popping a bunch of seeds and the numbers get up into the 100's before you know it.

Two guys from kentucky pull up to the coffee shop in a uhaul they go inside and one of them blurts out to everybody "were here from kentucky, and we moved to colorado to get into the marijuana growing business". lol. I do have somewhat of a clue what I am getting into.

derkaderk

derkaderk

Definitely sounds like you know what you are doing...now you just gotta make those stars align! Lol.

Are you still considering trying to get the money to the owners for the space your talking about?

Latest posts

Top Bottom