Grow Tent Falling Apart! Help!

• Thread starter irishboiii
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
irishboiii

irishboiii

Hey guys, need some advice please. The grow tent I ordered is falling apart due to the walls having the worst velcro ever and not sticking.

Iv tried duct tape but it keeps peeling off.

Iv just started my seedlings so need to fix it fast, but have no money and no tools!

Anybody have any suggestions?

Power OG

Power OG

Zip ties or bobby pins. Man this is a messed up situation I know the shop owes u big time imo.

rick ratlin

rick ratlin

Perpetual Farmer
Supporter
Are self tapping screws through the fabric and into the tubing a possibility. I did a diy tent with orca film and pvc a long time ago, and my velcro eventually gave way, and this helped. You can strengthen the hold with a thin wood brace. I used cheap would yard sticks from casa depot.

irishboiii

irishboiii

Thanks for the ideas guys.

@ PowerOG pins may work, Id just hope they would hold

@ Rick, I wouldnt risk screwing into the tubeing

@ Zoner, another great idea! Are glue guns expensive? The only downside with this idea is its a two man job due to the poor workmanship of the tent. Id need someone the opposite side to press against it while Im pressing against the other side.

ZONER

ZONER

You can hot glue cloth straps to the tent on the inside then tie them to the poles ? Check out amazon or ebay they go around $10.00 - 20.00 U.S. some with free shipping. Just make sure you wipe the area where your going to glue with nail polish remover on a rag , or just plain acetone.

Power OG

Power OG

You canb get a couple packs of large bobby pins as big asvu can find, they make big ones for laundry bags. Mite work if u have a lot of them.

irishboiii

irishboiii

I think Il try the bobby pins, not sure what bobby bins are but when you mentioned "pins" it got me thinking that could be the easiest and cheapest solution.

Any kind of 2 inch or 3 inch pin would work, Id just have to bend each side after they go through the tent for it to hold.

How important is it for the tent to be airtight though? Because I cant see it ever even being close to airtight.

william76

william76

I think Il try the bobby pins, not sure what bobby bins are but when you mentioned "pins" it got me thinking that could be the easiest and cheapest solution.

Any kind of 2 inch or 3 inch pin would work, Id just have to bend each side after they go through the tent for it to hold.

How important is it for the tent to be airtight though? Because I cant see it ever even being close to airtight.
I think you could patch it like a normal tent,glue and 2 patches,but as you say it might have to be a 2 person job,had the same problem,new tent,small rip first day,thing is if it's not repaired right it keeps getting worse.id be wanting an explanation from the shop too,hope you get it sorted,good luck,76

irishboiii

irishboiii

Thanks man, its not ripped its just the velcro is very bad quality and wont stick properly. And one side wall is faulty, they put the wrong type of velcro on that bit so its never going to stick

william76

william76

Thanks man, its not ripped its just the velcro is very bad quality and wont stick properly. And one side wall is faulty, they put the wrong type of velcro on that bit so its never going to stick
Just glue a bit velcro on too,its quite cheap,cant you take it back?i would if it's that bad, have you spoke to them?if there reputable they'll sort it, if not you let everybody know the company and the standard of their stuff,so nobody else buys it too,once again hope you get it sorted,76

irishboiii

irishboiii

Never thought of just buying velcro and glueing it on lmao, I feel like a dope now haha. Il try that but will also try pins to give it a bit of extra hold.

Id send it back only its too much trouble tbh, barely managed to sneak it in never mind sneak it back out and then another one back in

william76

william76

Never thought of just buying velcro and glueing it on lmao, I feel like a dope now haha. Il try that but will also try pins to give it a bit of extra hold.

Id send it back only its too much trouble tbh, barely managed to sneak it in never mind sneak it back out and then another one back in
Yea,i had to patch mine and get on with it too,not much else you can do,just get your first crop from it then buy yourself a decent tent,all the best,76

Cort

Cort

I used a kit designed to sew leather to attach my velcro. Simply stitched the velcro into place with strong line. (I used braided fishing line)

Also used aluminum tape to seal anything on the inside.

I created a flap of plastic on the bottom part of the door about 1 foot from the bottom. I measured it so it just brushed the bottom of the tent. This is designed to act as a curtain to block any light from the zipper my additional velcro missed.

The flap worked so well I did the same around any zippers or ports.

I have heard of people reenforcing tents with wood supports

I have seen people cover a tent with black plastic

Hope something helps

Edit: the self adhesive velcro wont hold long term. Just like tape, it will come up.

irishboiii

irishboiii

Cort, that was LOADS of useful info. Some awesome ideas there! Thanks so much for the input!

I think Il glue my tent together though, mainly because I have no sewing skills. Even glueing it will be a challenge without an extra pair of hands to push on the outside while I push on the inside.

Covering the tent with black plastic is a great idea to make it lightproof though, thanks for that idea

ronvmpc

ronvmpc

I think it was said but hot glue. I've glued panda film to just about any surface and it never weakened. Before I dry walled everything I had a 10x12 room being pulled by a 12" fan. Panda film door and wall all held to a wood frame with hot glue and staples. The wall was pulled tighter then a snare drum. Most staples gave. Not one spot of glue cracked or gave way. I swear by that stuff now. Just clean the surface first. Good luck homie.

Top Bottom