Grow tent frames are shit! Easy/cheap to replace with ALL STEEL

• Thread starter fractal
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
fractal

fractal

Looking at every available grow tent on the market (except for Qube) the frames are where they seriously cut corners to save cost but W.T.F. are you doing skimping with plastic corners and thin crappy steel poles when the frame is the entire structure? You're gonna be hanging lights and carbon filters and fans, you can't trust plastic fuckin corners!

Check it out, easy and cheap. What you need is EMT Conduit pipe, 3/4" conduit is only $3.87 for 10 foot section at the Home(grow)Depot.

For fittings, you'll need 8 "flat side corners" and 4 "flat side Tees". The 4 tees are for your two light/filter hanging poles on the roof.

www.YSBW.com has great prices, $4 per fitting for the above mentioned fittings. Pretty cheap shipping also, $15 for the 12 fittings needed which is not bad since they are heavy.

Or, find 3/4" conduit fittings for canopies and tarps at a local store.

Cost will be about $100, estimating for a 5x5x7 grow tent. Throw the frame it came with away or sell it on craigslist for 20 bucks. The standard frames are unbelievably shitty, I cannot understand why they ship tents with such crap frames. And plastic corners just make me want to donkey punch someone.

With a 3/4" EMT conduit frame and your canopy/tarp fittings, the frame will easily hold a grown man's weight which is twice as much as you could possibly need even with 8"XXXL magnum hoods, a giant heavy steel inline fan and a CAN filter (cuz CAN filters are fucking obsolete and way too heavy and big for what they do.)

You're welcome! Now get growing in your tent that is not just a liability waiting to destroy your grow!

lino

lino

Steel Tents if your in Colo - 58th and 1-25, go east 2 blk. 1st novelty store past Wendys S 0f 58th has em cheap, and tarps also. Back of the store last isle, lots of different steal tent fitting

But PCV is cheaper/easier but wont last as long.

I saw solid big frames same sq footage = $ 675 Large one car size - hiway 50 Arkansas valley and down by Pueblo has big pole car port tents fairly cheap. I never bought one but I;ve thought about it.

I have steel and PCV frames that worked good/.

Last edited:
urbanfog

urbanfog

just lost another middle connector, was thinking of replacing all with electrical conduit,,,,,,NOw Ihave an option ;)

MysteryChild

MysteryChild

I've had the room come crashing down on me
Weak as shit poles and plastic corners
I hate tents and most likely won't go back but if i do i'll be doing the steel frames
Thats a given
Good looking out :cool:

fractal

fractal

I wish those Green Qubes were for sale in the USA ! Looks to be real quality and full steel frame with 1" poles and all steel connectors. They are innovative too! They make a pyramid-topped looking one designed to fit inside an attic's rafters. And a model called the "Sky Qube" that is 7.5 feet tall for Gavita lamps that project farther and need more space.

Gorilla tents are the best quality to be had from what I've seen, though they are way overpriced. Next to that would be Growlab, as Secret Jardin supposedly replaced their manufacturers with a new one that cut corners and the new SJ tents leak light like a sieve.

reloader

reloader

I bought a cheap tent on E-bay years ago with plastic corners. It lasted about a year before all the corners were cracking, and one collapsed. Luckily not pulling down my lights. Anyway I bought all new tents this year veg and flower, & they all have metal corners, and extra crossbars. They don't even sag with 4 metal heavy glass hoods. The cheap one would bow in the middle with 2 hoods. Also on my new tents the poles lock in place.
I picked up 2 of these Lighthouse tents. One for flower and one for veg. They are all metal corners, and seem good so far, I just wish some vent holes were on the roof. The window feature is cool. Good prices to.
http://www.gothamhydroponics.com/growtents.html

Last edited:
fractal

fractal

Yeah Loader that is great to hear, I told my friend to buy a Lighthouse tent and I've been cautiously anticipating to see how it holds up. I thought I read somewhere that they started using metal corners but they did not update the information on their website.

I don't think it would be difficult to cut a hole in the roof like the Growlab tents have, just get a ducting flange and glue it on or something.

SonOfDaMourning

SonOfDaMourning

I bought a cheap tent on E-bay years ago with plastic corners. It lasted about a year before all the corners were cracking, and one collapsed. Luckily not pulling down my lights. Anyway I bought all new tents this year veg and flower, & they all have metal corners, and extra crossbars. They don't even sag with 4 metal heavy glass hoods. The cheap one would bow in the middle with 2 hoods. Also on my new tents the poles lock in place.
I picked up 2 of these Lighthouse tents. One for flower and one for veg. They are all metal corners, and seem good so far, I just wish some vent holes were on the roof. The window feature is cool. Good prices to.
http://www.gothamhydroponics.com/growtents.html
Was gonna post a pic of the corner joint but for some reason i cant with the s3! But yeah they srepoed their tents up as i have two more from them!

dirtyshawa

dirtyshawa

Looking at every available grow tent on the market (except for Qube) the frames are where they seriously cut corners to save cost but W.T.F. are you doing skimping with plastic corners and thin crappy steel poles when the frame is the entire structure? You're gonna be hanging lights and carbon filters and fans, you can't trust plastic fuckin corners!

Check it out, easy and cheap. What you need is EMT Conduit pipe, 3/4" conduit is only $3.87 for 10 foot section at the Home(grow)Depot.

For fittings, you'll need 8 "flat side corners" and 4 "flat side Tees". The 4 tees are for your two light/filter hanging poles on the roof.

www.YSBW.com has great prices, $4 per fitting for the above mentioned fittings. Pretty cheap shipping also, $15 for the 12 fittings needed which is not bad since they are heavy.

Or, find 3/4" conduit fittings for canopies and tarps at a local store.

Cost will be about $100, estimating for a 5x5x7 grow tent. Throw the frame it came with away or sell it on craigslist for 20 bucks. The standard frames are unbelievably shitty, I cannot understand why they ship tents with such crap frames. And plastic corners just make me want to donkey punch someone.

With a 3/4" EMT conduit frame and your canopy/tarp fittings, the frame will easily hold a grown man's weight which is twice as much as you could possibly need even with 8"XXXL magnum hoods, a giant heavy steel inline fan and a CAN filter (cuz CAN filters are fucking obsolete and way too heavy and big for what they do.)

You're welcome! Now get growing in your tent that is not just a liability waiting to destroy your grow!

I really appreciate this post as I can't find the connectors for my tent. Can you clear up a few questions I have about replacing my frame? My tent is 4x4x7...

If I order the flat corner fittings you've linked what length should I get the conduit cut? 46"- 48" & 82"- 84" (width & height)

I'm running 1000w Vertical Bare Bulb in this space + fan + filter and having a hard time understanding how to hang them. I don't understand the flat tee application for hanging my light, fan, and filter. I don't know where the bar joists that came with my tent are, so what will my lights, fan, and filter hang from...am I buying another piece of conduit to hang the lights? If so, how are the tee corners applied once the frame is already put up?

reloader

reloader

Not all tents are created equal. I have 2600 w in a 8x8x8 tent with METAL corners. (Been there done that with plastic). I have over 150 lbs of hoods hanging and my tent doesn't sag. Of course I added my own reinforced crossbars for more strength.
Don't buy the cheap ones with plastic corners, they will crack, not if, but when.

I

illive

Hey guys I have a similar problem as well. I saw the link for the corners, but the smallest I saw was 3/4, along with 3/4 conduit EMT. Would this size be ok for a growlab tent. The poles that they come with are a bit smaller. Any help would be cool. THANKS

Top Bottom