Grow Tent Humidity / VPD question

• Thread starter Le_Roy
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
L

Le_Roy

I have 3 ac infinty controller 69 pros in my tent. I have 1 about a foot off the top, 1 at canopy level, and one at lower pot level (6 inch off tge floor or so). Should I worry any about how low the humidity gets at the bottom sensor or the VPD at that level and only worry about canopy level? I know the top will be higher temp and humidy don't matter at that level as much. I have the main fain exhausting out the top and fresh air piped in from a dehumidifier going in the bottom. I'm in the 5th week of flower now and the tent is full.

Grow tent humidity  vpd question
freezeland2

freezeland2

I’d use one controller. It has 4 ports. I see you are controlling 5 devices? Put the heater or humidifier or both outside the tent in the lung room. You don’t need 3 controllers to run a single tent unless it’s 4x8 or larger.

Mikedin

Mikedin

Staff
Supporter
I’d use one controller. It has 4 ports. I see you are controlling 5 devices? Put the heater or humidifier or both outside the tent in the lung room. You don’t need 3 controllers to run a single tent unless it’s 4x8 or larger.
agreed, best to let 1 controller do all the work, more than 1 and you’ll pull when the other isint etc. it’ll make the opposite controller be fighting on and off to try and stay within its parameters

L

Le_Roy

I'm a controls engineer by trade. I have the tent dialed in pretty good. It's not fighting itself. One controller is for the ac ion beam lights they take up 4 ports. The 2 to 1 adapter wasn't out yet when I set this up. 3 Clip fans, etc so only 2 ports open. I am going to use 2 controllers on this tent in the long run. Lol now does it matter if the humidity is so much lower under the canopy compared to above it?

BigBlonde

BigBlonde

The sensor at canopy level is the one that matters most, in my opinion.

now does it matter if the humidity is so much lower under the canopy compared to above it?
Is it even possible to control the humidity at multiple levels? That said, if using fabric pots, it may be beneficial to have lower humidity near the pots. I understand some folks put fans there. (I don't.)

I have the same controller. The exhaust fan, the humidifier, an oscillating fan and the heater are controlled by the 69 Pro. I also have an oscillating fan that runs continuously. My lights are controlled by an Alexa smart outlet.

L

Le_Roy

The sensor at canopy level is the one that matters most, in my opinion.

Is it even possible to control the humidity at multiple levels? That said, if using fabric pots, it may be beneficial to have lower humidity near the pots. I understand some folks put fans there. (I don't.)

I have the same controller. The exhaust fan, the humidifier, an oscillating fan and the heater are controlled by the 69 Pro. I also have an oscillating fan that runs continuously. My lights are controlled by an Alexa smart outlet.
Ok, thanks. This is my first grow and I just wanted to make sure I wasn't getting the humidity to low at pot level. I have fabric pots and a fan a pot level. I could bring my intake in at a different port and even it out a little better I'd say. It doesn't sound like it is needed tho. Yes I went over kill on the controls lol. I got them on sale and I plan on adding more tents after I get a grow or 2 under my belt they will be used on.

freezeland2

freezeland2

I'm a controls engineer by trade. I have the tent dialed in pretty good. It's not fighting itself. One controller is for the ac ion beam lights they take up 4 ports. The 2 to 1 adapter wasn't out yet when I set this up. 3 Clip fans, etc so only 2 ports open. I am going to use 2 controllers on this tent in the long run. Lol now does it matter if the humidity is so much lower under the canopy compared to above it?
Put a fan running under the canopy?

L

Le_Roy

agreed, best to let 1 controller do all the work, more than 1 and you’ll pull when the other isint etc. it’ll make the opposite controller be fighting on and off to try and stay within its parameters
The setup rides pretty tight all day they way I have it. I'm gone 12 hrs + a day so the ac infinty water bases and fab pots with this setup has made growing pretty easy.

Screenshot 20230516 212920 AC Infinity
SchwiftyGrower

SchwiftyGrower

Supporter
Man and I thought I chased VPD. I love your setup and though process. A tent that has the VPD in range is always crucial and a lot of people ignore it or don’t realize the importance.

freezeland2

freezeland2

The setup rides pretty tight all day they way I have it. I'm gone 12 hrs + a day so the ac infinty water bases and fab pots with this setup has made growing pretty easy.
That’s pretty low vpd if you are flowering

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

Man and I thought I chased VPD. I love your setup and though process. A tent that has the VPD in range is always crucial and a lot of people ignore it or don’t realize the importance.
The AC Infinity UIS 69 system is a game changer. It does so much at an affordable price point. I'm in the process of updating most of my gear to AC Infinity. It's something to consider @SchwiftyGrower, you'll love it!

L

Le_Roy

I went full ac infinty besides the tent (gorilla shorty) due to height. I love their stuff. Very well made and works awesome. I hope it pays off in the end.

L

Le_Roy

A little higher would be ok.
That is what sparked this thread... so if below canopy is 1.4 and at canopy is 1.04, then at top is 1.26 is transpiration affecting the canopy level reading and an average should be used?

Screenshot 20230517 174358 AC Infinity
L

Le_Roy

Or does no other reading matter to a certain degree and you should only foucus on canopy level. I know that some may think im over thinking this but I want to see if it makes bigger yields watching multiple variables at different levels. Anyways, any input or thoughts on this is appreciated. Thanks.

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

I just scrolled through and I don't see any plant pictures. Posting some could be very helpful.

However, to answer your question in a generalized way, the humidity level below the canopy matters during late flower especially. It's under the canopy that wpm and/or bud rot issues occur and the higher the humidity, the greater chance there is that some fungal spores get activated. Without airflow, infection can occur. (Fan under the canopy as someone else suggested) As a rule of thumb, I keep early veg VPD under 1.0 and as flowering comes on and progresses I allow vpd to get higher and higher. By the time my plants have sagging branches because they have put on weight, I'm not paying attention to vpd and I want to keep humidity (rH) under 50%.

L

Le_Roy

I just scrolled through and I don't see any plant pictures. Posting some could be very helpful.

However, to answer your question in a generalized way, the humidity level below the canopy matters during late flower especially. It's under the canopy that wpm and/or bud rot issues occur and the higher the humidity, the greater chance there is that some fungal spores get activated. Without airflow, infection can occur. (Fan under the canopy as someone else suggested) As a rule of thumb, I keep early veg VPD under 1.0 and as flowering comes on and progresses I allow vpd to get higher and higher. By the time my plants have sagging branches because they have put on weight, I'm not paying attention to vpd and I want to keep humidity (rH) under 50%.
Ok, thanks for explaining that. I did feel at something RH would play a bigger role. Here are some pics. 1 bag seed back left, 3 White Widow photo. One has been a runt since the beginning, its the front left.

20230517 184143
20230517 184136
20230517 184131
20230517 184128
MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

Ok, thanks for explaining that. I did feel at something RH would play a bigger role. Here are some pics. 1 bag seed back left, 3 White Widow photo. One has been a runt since the beginning, its the front left.
You've got some dead/dying leaves down low that need removed. Keeping dead plant tissue from decaying in your grow is one of the things you want to do to as preventative against mold/fungal infection. I've got the same heater, but mine is in my upstairs bathroom lol.

Nice work so far! Keep doing what you're doing.

BigBlonde

BigBlonde

I went full ac infinty besides the tent (gorilla shorty) due to height. I love their stuff. Very well made and works awesome. I hope it pays off in the end.
I have two tents in operation now. One has an AC Infinity controller. The other has Ink Bird controllers. There are positives and negatives about both.

The AC Infinity controller has failed a few times due to problems with the firmware. Just recently, the WiFi quit working for no apparent reason. It took about a day to get it working again. Their support was not helpful. A member here helped me. It turned out that no other apps on the phone can be active while using Bluetooth to connect the controller to a router. Another time, the power went out and the controller lost its settings and the tent overheated. A controller really should be able to resume after a power failure, in my opinion. I think that's been fixed. So, I tend not to trust my controller. I added a sensor from another company (SensorPush) to verify the AC Infinity controller was working correctly.

The only things about Ink Bird controllers that are lacking is they don't calculate VPD and they don't have multiple triggers, so, for example, a fan can't be triggered by both temperature and humidity--it's one or the other. Of course, one could use more than one fan to solve that problem. The controllers have never failed.

Top Bottom