grow tents and odor

• Thread starter ohthatguy8
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
ohthatguy8

ohthatguy8

I've been thinking about buying a grow tent to hang my buds in. A drying tent. I would vent the tent and run that to a carbon filter. Just wondering...
a. If any one else does this.
B. If you grow in a tent can you smell it before u open the door.
My wife is not going to be happy if i harvest again with out some thing

Pisces

Pisces

As long as there is a scrubber and negative pressure in the tent you won't have any issues.

I'm currently growing in three tents and never had a problem with odor.

Infact, my wife's parents flew out a few months ago for a whole week (6.5 days) while I had 18 plants in full flower and never once did they suspect a thing.

ohthatguy8

ohthatguy8

It's a catch 22 complains about the amount of time i spend down stairs n wants more work done at the same time lol.
So u put the filter in the room? Right now I've got no filters so I'm not familiar with them but thought they went outside the room. glad i posted before i did it
I run a carbon filter in my drying room to scrub the air, does the trick for me! Gotta do something quick bro lol because she'll be ruining your high for the whole time it's drying + :banghead:

Prime C

Prime C

Defender of Dank
Supporter
Pulling the air through the filter is the most effective way but you can put the filter on the outside of the room and push the air throught it too. Stand the filter on end and attach the fan on top of it.;)

ftwendy

ftwendy

Like the others are saying, a slight negative draw on the space is your best defense.

Grab a fan speed controller and dial the exhaust fan waaaay down...the exhausted air will be clean and odorless, esp if you have not handled the plants inside the tent recently. A filter setup like this used in the drying tent exclusively should last a long time and do a good job if you keep the carbon inside dry and protected from high humidity. Fwiw, if you can afford two complete setups, buy another fan/filter combo and have the fan recirculating inside the drying tent (not exhausting, just have it scrubbing the air inside the space) as explained above. You should be golden.

Happy wife, happy life ;)

Last edited:
ohthatguy8

ohthatguy8

Mornin. well I havent went to see my guy yet but from looking online the size tent I would want is n the 500 $ range. Being a carpenter I can not pay that for a room. so ill be building a custom room. I plan to follow your guys advise on the filter in the room. So if anyone else has suggestions before I start my build please chime in. I plan to check out some other drying room threads as im sure there are some good ones. Ill keep this thread updated on the build.

ftwendy

ftwendy

I think if you're going to go with a single fan/filter combo, then its best used as an exhaust. That way you know that any air that went in and gathered stank from your drying flowers has been scrubbed before leaving. Just my 0.2.. ymmv

Have you considered building your own tent with 3 way sch 40 pvc fittings and plastic sheeting? It's temporary yet durable. Not as cheap as wood, but it is super convenient to work with, and reusable. Plus, if you ever get a dirty harvest (bugs, spores) then you can throw away the 6mil plastic sheeting, bleach the pvc, and start fresh. If you go this route I suggest using 1.5" sch40 fittings.

http://www.amazon.com/FORMUFIT-3-wa...sim_hi_10?ie=UTF8&refRID=0FDGDWK29N9R0SFX65NZ

Sch40inprogress

Tnelz

Tnelz

It's a catch 22 complains about the amount of time i spend down stairs n wants more work done at the same time lol.
So u put the filter in the room? Right now I've got no filters so I'm not familiar with them but thought they went outside the room. glad i posted before i did it
Works either way bro. I currently run my filter outside my tent. I blow through the filter instead of sacking through the filter. Works every bit as good and saves space inside the tent.

ohthatguy8

ohthatguy8

Ive been reading about the vaportek optimum 4000. Anyone have experience. http://vaportek.com/products
Still building a drying room this just seems like a nice last line of defense.
@ftwendy thanks for the link and the pictures. What do u do for doors? I have a dang near full roll of black n white poly so what ever I decide to do it will be covered in plastic.

Pisces

Pisces

@ftwendy, not sure if that pic is yours but fwiw, I'd recommend laying pond liner underneath that frame.

It's kind of pricey but it's super durable and will save your floors.
It has mine, more then once.

ftwendy

ftwendy

@ftwendy What do u do for doors? I have a dang near full roll of black n white poly so what ever I decide to do it will be covered in plastic.

Tarp zipper for the door: http://www.amazon.com/Homax-Products-6025-CinchTite-Zipper/dp/B000KI0QXI

@ohthatguy8 - save the black and white poly for another project when the white is helpful. A new 10x20 sheet of 6 mil black poly is cheap and will fit the bill for a drying tent envelope. If you end up using the drying tent for a grow space later, just add the white poly inside for reflection.

@ftwendy, not sure if that pic is yours but fwiw, I'd recommend laying pond liner underneath that frame.

Thanks @Pisces - good looking out. The setup inside is a hand watered drain to waste tester space. It receives 15 gal a day of feed and creates ~6 gals of runoff shared between two buckets on two tables. If it were automated and/or recirculating or using more water than that, then I would have put a liner down. That tent has a double layer of hd tarp laid for the floor and a few fresh towels on the stairs in case of emergencies. Pond liner is a necessity if you're on a wood/osb subfloor, but this is a concrete basement and the carpet is slated for replacement in the future.

indicabush

indicabush

I've been thinking about buying a grow tent to hang my buds in. A drying tent. I would vent the tent and run that to a carbon filter. Just wondering...
a. If any one else does this.
B. If you grow in a tent can you smell it before u open the door.
My wife is not going to be happy if i harvest again with out some thing
Howdy....Please check out this link... product and I have been using this stuff for quite some time. Great back up and it will please your significant other.;)

TSTEW313

TSTEW313

Yes that would definitely help with the smell in your house but keep in mind you don't want you flowers to dry to fast I like mine to dry as slow as possible with out getting mold of course! A friend of mine dried his flowers in his tent an his in line fan caused them to dry way to fast killing the smell of his flowers

indicabush

indicabush

Yes that would definitely help with the smell in your house but keep in mind you don't want you flowers to dry to fast I like mine to dry as slow as possible with out getting mold of course! A friend of mine dried his flowers in his tent an his in line fan caused them to dry way to fast killing the smell of his flowers
Howdy.....http://www.marijuanagrowershq.com/how-to-properly-dry-marijuana/ https://www.dinafem.org/en/blog/drying-and-curing-of-fresh-cannabis-buds/#
http://www.cannaversity.com/cannaversity/article.php?id=069

I'm sure you did some simple googling, but anyway never had any real problems with drying.
Ona was just a backup not a suggestion on your drying dilemma. Apologies for the links running together.

Last edited:
ohthatguy8

ohthatguy8

Thanks guys. Drying isn't my problem my products are nice. Just smell. I think venting may be a wash when considering they'll be in a confined space. Ill always have atleast a potato maybe 2 in a 112 cubic foot room instead of hanging it n a 1400 cubic foot room. And I will have the fan on a dial. The biggest problem I have now is I use a room under the stairs n the smells just rise up thru the steps.

ohthatguy8

ohthatguy8

So I ended up with a smaller drying room than I had planned but I couldn't find a good space. I went with 4'x2' x 7'. Its lined n black plastic and the seams were taped with gorrila tape I like having buds behind a locking door instead of just hanging in the basement. I still need to buy a carbon filter and a fan with a dial. Right now I feel like I'll be hanging n a big zip lock baggie. I ordered a vaportek optimum 4000 it will be.here today so I'll report back on that

Latest posts

Top Bottom